I hope you guys in Ottawa get the shovel in the ground asap.
I don't suppose there is a chance for football in 2010?
I hope you guys in Ottawa get the shovel in the ground asap.
Hey, I have a shovel. Do you think anyone would mind if I got started?
Go right ahead.
But just to make sure you don't do anything to upset the Glebe, I'm sending a supervisor to oversee your every move:
Go Ottawa Rough Riders Go!
Hell with that, if I'm anywhere near Doucet with a shovel in my hands, I'm going to Norman Bates the guy. :lol:
It's Funny what the clown at Big Soccer has to say about ithttp://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1009675
They may get another shot because I don't see the city reaching an agreement with the Lansdowne Live group
It does seem likely that it will go ahead, and obviously I hope it does, but at the same time it's important to remember that there is still a lot that needs to happen before the stadium is built.
My concern now is that those that are opposed to it either in the Glebe or in Kanata (because they want Melnyk's stadium there) will continue to oppose Lansdowne Live no matter what a great deal LL offers. I hope they are not that petty, but Clive Doucet has shown every indication that he is, and the Kanata councillor(s) will have their own interests at heart.
There shouldn't be enough of that to prevent a majority, but when we see the kind of vote trading that went on, it's still cause for concern.
The key will be selling the idea of a 30 year mortgage to the people of Ottawa. For that to be paletable the project has to be very inclusive and the maintenance costs over the next 30 years have to be really well planed. They need to be very detailed about the numbers and economic impact of the project. If they assume that people “will get it” Doucet and his minions are going to be able to use fear to convince people its a bad idea. Of course they have to be very careful how they attack the project cause should they be successful the same weapons of FEAR can then be quoted back with the Melnyk proposal
Weren't there a couple of Kanata councillors that voted in favour of LL? I thought I saw that at least one did ...
We may have a problem -- Kent Kirkpatrick.
City begins negotiations with Lansdowne group
By Jake Rupert , The Ottawa Citizen
April 27, 2009 10:50 PM
[i]OTTAWA — Negotiations between city officials and a group of developers for the potential redevelopment of Lansdowne Park got under way Monday, the municipality’s top bureaucrat said.
City manager Kent Kirkpatrick is serving as the city’s point person for the negotiations, which were approved by city council last week.
He said the council motion to enter into detailed negotiations provides lot of direction on what can and can’t be done on the site, and the goal now is to come up with a plan satisfying council and community objectives that the developers can live with too.
Council directed that the negotiations be done in 60 days and for the potential deal to be brought back before them following three weeks of public consultations after that.
In order to get this accomplished on time, Kirkpatrick has put together a team of municipal staff with expertise in engineering, architecture, urban planning and business. He said he will also be using outside experts for some aspects of the negotiations.
[b]However, he warned that people should not get ahead of themselves. He said after 60 days, the deal won’t be complete enough to start signing contracts for development.
Instead, he said the goal is get an agreement in principal on a broad range of topics, including what’s going to be built, and how the project will be financed. If council agrees to continue with the developers, Kirkpatrick said another round of study and review will be necessary before any contracts are signed.[/b]
“My job in this is to look out for the public’s interest,? he said. “We’re looking for the best deal we can get, that conforms with what council wants, and that they can live with.?
By a vote of 14 to nine last week, council voted to enter sole-source negotiation with the developers who had made an unsolicited proposal to the city for redevelopment of the site, including at least $100 million in repairs and upgrades to Frank Clair Stadium and the Civic Centre.
However, council passed strict conditions on what can be done by the developers at the park.
These include turning a substantial portion of the site into green space and public use areas, keeping the farmers’ market there, no big-box stores, city approval for any buildings, and that the public be consulted before any final decision is made.
Other conditions are for more trade show space, that the city’s financial contribution be limited and finite, that any deal not increase the costs to taxpayers above the $3.8 million needed to be spent yearly at the park to keep it functioning, and that revenues generated from the revitalization not to subsidize any professional sports team.
The developers, Roger Greenberg of Minto, John Ruddy of Trinity, and Bill Shenkman of the Shenkman Corp., want the city to fix the crumbling Frank Clair Stadium for a conditional Canadian Football League franchise they have won. They estimate this will cost $97 million. The city estimates $125 million. They also want the city to build a roughly $25-million parking garage for the site, and for the city pay for any community spaces to be included in the park.
They also propose a mixed-use development at Lansdowne Park that would include retail and entertainment space, a hotel, office space, and some residential building at a cost of $120 million to them.
Maybe councillors felt there proposal wasn’t a good deal for the city, and they are expecting a better one to come out of the negotiations.
After the council decision, the developers said they will work hard to come up with a plan that fits in with the neighbourhood the park is in and is financially right for the city.
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen[/i]
This is great news for Ottawa and the CFL...woot!
Lansdowne has the potential to truly be a great place (better) and it's central. Finally the people in Ottawa showed common sense. The Melnyk bid should have been laughed out of the city.
Meh, I think we should be OK. The items they mention in the article, the Hunt Group said they would recognize them in their plans (i.e.: Farmer’s Market, no big box stores etc.). The Hunt Group have been very accommodating, and I’m sure they can work out an arrangement that will benefit the city.
There will always be detractors though. Count on Clive to throw a wrench into this process at every turn.
I don't know if there's any point in posting the whole thing, but there's talk now that the aquarium part of LL may not happen. This is actually good on several fronts:
a) the city was expected to pay for it, and now they would have that cost reduction.
b) Some are attached to the building that would ahve housed it, for reasons I can't quite grasp, so not converting it will take away one more argument against LL.
c) The building can be used to increase the farmers' market and trade show space in the LL plan, which was a legitimate concern going into this thing.
There's a possibility of building another...huh...building for the aquarium specifically, but I don't see that happening. Since, if I recall correctly, LL would have been on the hook for maintenance of the thing anyway, I'm guessing tha they're fine with doing away with it. It had the splash (no pun intended) that it was intended to, time to set it aside and deal with reality. :thup:
So I heard on radio this morning that the verdict in the mayor's trial should come no later than middle of next week. That's good because assuming he's found innocent, he'll be available to cast a vote for Lansdowne Live.
Doesn't matter, there are enough on city council supporting it. There are only 3 or 4 on the council that are against it, they will put up a strong fight but it will go through. I just hope they don't do the delay tactics.
I guess, but I can’t help but be paranoid.
Two charges of purported influence peddling against Ottawa mayor Larry O’Brien were dismissed Wednesday morning by Justice Douglas Cunningham, associate chief justice of Ontario’s Superior Court.
There. Much ado about nothing.