Morris: Women & Girls Conference aims to grow the game

Spreading the message that football has a place for women and girls is the goal of a conference being hosted by Football Canada this weekend.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2021/10/15/morris-women-girls-conference-aims-grow-game/
1 Like

All for girls playing football, but not with older boys or men. It is not necessary and not sexist. Just not a good idea. As a man, plowing over a woman is just a no no. One man Plowing over another man is fun. If Girls want to plow over each other in a big hit...great!
We have had girls playing high school football, one or two on a team. I feel for them, but it just does not work well most of the time...there is the odd exception. When a big guy mows over a female opponent and she gets annihilated, like often happens in any game with all men...it is just plane awkward! A big gal in high school is 130-150 lbs. A big guy is 100 lbs heavier...nope, just a bad idea. Mens football, ladies football, keep it separate. That is my vote.

Yeah, whatever.

Girls can play up to the high school level but forget about college. Guys are just too big and are pretty much semi-pro. Guys have to have the right bone density, musculature, and most average guys cannot play football at the college or pro level. Only the ones who have the right genetics.

Between 2014 and 2018, Football Canada says the number of female under-18 tackle players grew from 322 to 809 while flag football increased from 3,652 to 7,252.

On the senior side, there are just over 600 women participating in tackle leagues across the country while 1,500 are playing non-contact football.

“Our women and girls flag programs have exploded over the last 10 years and is one of our main growth areas,” said Donovan.

“It’s another option outside of soccer. There are more opportunities now for all girls and leagues and teams, so they’re not having to necessarily play with the boys. It’s a safe sport option as far as low-cost, no equipment.”

Flag football, both men’s and women’s, will be part of the 2022 World Games in Birmingham, AL. and there is a movement to have the sport included at the Olympics, said Donovan.

CFL should be a key sponsor to youth flag football across the country under the umbrella of CFL minor league football .

So much potential for promotional tools and cross branding .
Infrastructure building with grass roots is a easier path to getting them interested in the game itself by playing it first hand and secondly by watching it at the pro level domestically in Canada under the CFL Banner .

1 Like

Perhaps in the future the women could get their own pro league, but sadly I don't think it's going to happen this decade. More power to them, keep the growth happening, it's the greatest team game in the world.

All I can say is that women's sevens rugby is hella good.

Perhaps they can hire a woman play by play announcer to replace my former hockey friend-Rod Black,who recently retired after a stellar 30 year career![Rod Black-retires Oct 2021 30 year career. :question:
Rod Black-retires Oct 2021 30 year career

1 Like

I wonder if any of our women's national team players have a background in communications. I'd like to see at least once a season to have a high-level female football player doing colour during a CFL broadcast.

1 Like