Morris: How Antwi, Als pulled off dribble punt

Given a second chance, Jeshrun Antwi wasn’t going to make any mistakes.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2023/10/05/morris-how-antwi-als-pulled-off-dribble-punt
2 Likes

Yes there are some esoteric plays in the CFL playbook. The one that sticks out for me is running back a missed convert kick 110 yards and only getting 2 lousy points for it. The crowd goes nuts, the runner is gassed, and the scoreboard only changes by 2 points. Lol.

That wood be a three point swing because the kicking team also doesn’t get the one point conversion. So about the same as a field goal that in the end could win you the game. Love the CFL

2 Likes

I was impressed with the playcall the 1st time, and was very surprised at the lack of talk on here when they did (even though it was unsuccessful).
I love that they tried it again, and this time pulled it off.

Also like the explanation on the rule of the play as it seems pretty much none of us knew the exact rules on it. I still don’t know how we don’t see this more often, but now teams will have to respect the chance that this might happen again, and not leave so many defenders deep.

I for one hope my team tries this if needed, I also hope my team is prepared for this should another team try it on them!

2 Likes

It comes during a convert attempt, while the clock is not running. If the offence had run it into the end zone, they would only get 2 for it. I don’t get why there opposition to this. It’s bonus fun that would not exist if the uprights were at the back of the end zone. Enjoy the 3 point swing.

2 Likes

I wish people would stop calling it an ‘odd-ball, or random rule’ or whatever. It’s a BASIC rule! He kicked it from behind the line of scrimmage, was onside, and recovered the ball on the other side of the line of scrimmage. that is not hard to understand. If you want that to NOT be legal, you would have to introduce an odd-ball rule, thus unnecessarily complicating the game further. Maybe the Als utilizing this, will prompt defences to be alert, and NOT play 10 yards off the line on those plays. Perhaps football players should play Rugby during the off season to sharpen their alertness. Kudos to the Als for waking the league up on the matter, and keeping things interesting. I hope this prompts coaches to dig deeper into their creativity bag. There were a few plays this weekend that pumped life into the game. Fans would LOSE THEIR COLLECTIVE MINDS if a player kicked a drop goal.

2 Likes

Here is why it is NOT as easy as many of us had thought or how it looks when successful and probably why we don’t see it as often.

It took discipline from all the Alouettes on the field for the play to work. The five down Montreal lineman couldn’t move downfield until the ball was kicked. Only Antwi or players behind him at the time of the kick could recover the ball. The Alouettes couldn’t block any REDBLACK player going after the ball.

If Antwi kicked the [ball] too far a REDBLACK could have recovered, putting Ottawa in scoring position.

Of course as we have discussed previously, onside kick plays like this one are heavily unlikely to work without the element of surprise.

It’s the gridiron equivalent of a bunt. By design in the rules, in effect the allowance for such a play penalizes a defence (or kick team on kickoffs) for playing too soft.

It also appears easier than many of us had known for the offence to draw a penalty on such a play.

That all goes before actually executing the kick properly AND recovering it successfully.

I’m okay with this play now, but the ass fumble rule definitely needs to go yesterday.

3 Likes