More football (year round)

Trying to find some news in regards to to that possibility.

Thanks to COVID, not much in news.

Just before the pandemic hit. Can’t find any other news.

1 Like

You are correct. That non-overlap is a benefit.

I just didn’t like the fact some players had a bad experience in the LFA regarding player medical treatment, access to food, equipment. lodgings. Even though I thought the players should’ve been quiet about the their situation. I was wrong. They had every right to air their grievances.

If I was Randy, I would’ve put a stop to the agreement until the LFA improves their player conditions towards Canadian players. The Mexican players in the CFL never received such treatment. Quid pro quo

2 Likes

I agree that the players had every right–even responsibility–to share their experiences, both positive and negative. I don’t think the league has to cancel the agreement, but ensure that any players signing on for the LFA know what to expect. And of course try to improve the situation and facilitate communication as much as possible.

There are plenty of US players in the league, some of whom have played several seasons down there. So they must feel the conditions are acceptable enough to keep going back.

1 Like

I am not saying cancel the project, but convince that the LFA have a more professional conduct towards the Canadian players. Do better. The players’ experience put the LFA in a bad light.

My nephew played in the GFL2, he had a great experience in Germany. His German teammate took up an offer by my my nephew to visit Canada and he and his girlfriend stayed at my sister’s place for a couple of weeks

2 Likes

The Indoor football season begins today with games in the CIF and IFL. Arena/Indoor football is a long way from its peak from 2000-2008, but the games can still be fun in some markets. There's 15 teams in the IFL, 8 teams in the CIF, and 6 in the NAL. Of all the leagues, the NAL is closest to classic "arena ball" with the IFL and CIF looking more akin to outdoor football on a 50 yard field.

Of course I don’t care to watch, but I am curious on any media rights to those leagues as if there are many who will watch that stuff?

There is the usual old media thinking there at work as if streaming is not mainstream now and it’s still 2003 or 2013, but I can see the media play as an attempt to catch many of the people who live in areas still with cold weather who do not care about NCAA basketball any more and have not for some time.

I don’t see there being much for news for ratings here whatever the media strategy, but I guess for people still with cable channels they are filling the time.

Alternatively, perhaps there is some homer TV station covering the local games in some smaller area where there is just not much else going on anyway.

Mostly local TV for the stronger market teams (Jacksonville, phoenix, Sioux Falls) and YouTube. Last year IFL games were on something called Stadium Channel, but unsure if that were renewed. The IFL has some NHL owners buying in and there’s talk of an FS1/2 deal in the next year or 2.

3 Likes

Another league that the CFL could try to get to accept more Canadian players is the France Div 1 Elite Championship. They’re playing now, and I think will end before CFL training camps begin.

Here’s an article on one of the teams, which has Canadian Kaleb Scott at QB. I wonder how the level of play in France compares to that in Mexico. It would probably be a bonus too that Canadian USports grads would all have at least some rudimentary French.

1 Like

I would give the edge to Mexico if you look at international play. Maybe one day there will be some sort of Alt Football Championship.

1 Like

That’s a good option. That’s one place the CFL could lay the groundwork for conversion towards 3 down football. Players from QES should definitely play there. Language won’t be an issue in that setting

1 Like

Here's a story on a Chinese WR who just signed to play in the ELF. He's a bit old for a CFL team to give a camp invite, but he apparently played USport ball at Acadia for a few seasons.

I wonder what kind of attention he'll bring to the ELF from China, assuming he actually makes the team.

Just as a footnote, it looks like he played 7 games at DB with Acadia and failed to record a single stat. Hopefully, he's developed into a decent receiver since then.
https://presto-en.usports.ca/sports/fball/2014-15/players/shidawange967

1 Like

Did anyone else realize Boris Bede is playing for Marseille Blue Stars in France? The Blue Stars also have a Canadian QB, Kaleb Scott.

1 Like

Brett Hunchak (York alum) QBed his French team to victory in the first game of the 2022 Central European Football League Championship, a tournament including the reigning champs of several European football leagues.

1 Like

Chris Merchant is making his HFL (Hungarian Football League) debut today.

You might have to use Google translate on this article:

I believe it will be broadcast live at 9:00 EST: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyoTw6LgaMxPtKFjSsdKUMw

1 Like

Chris Merchant is QBing his Hungarian team in the first round of the CEFL Cup today, against a team from Serbia. Apparently, the Serbian team are the favourites.

Game starts at 9:30 AM EST:

Brett Hunchak is QBing his French team in the CEFL Champship tournament. His next CEFL game is May 14.

Does anyone (@okie , maybe) know the difference between the CEFL Cup and the CEFL Championship? It seems as though the Cup is a secondary tournament for lower-level European league champions, but I'm not positive.

I think you’re right. If you look at the 2019 Cup, it looks like Moscow Spartans won.

https://www.european-league.com/2019-schedule-standings/

There was no games in 2020 (understandably). In 2021, there was a CEFL Championship but no CEFL Cup. In 2022, there is both and Moscow Spartans were in the CEFL Championship. Perhaps a relegation promotion for winning in 2019. Their team was cancelled this year, most likely due to the war.

1 Like

Heh, I get back and settled from running errands to see the players shaking hands . . . and that Merchant’s team won 34-12. I don’t know how instrumental he was in the win, but cool to see anyway.

It’d be nice to see Canadian QBs keep advancing in these tournaments.

For anyone interested, it looks like Brett Hunchak’s Black Panthers game (regular league game this time) will be streamed online starting at 2 PM Eastern:

1 Like

For those interested in Canadians playing overseas, Brett Hunchak is QBing his French team today. Stream starts at 1 pm EDT.

1 Like

Hunchak's Black Panthers won big yesterday.

Here's a stream of Kaleb Scott leading Marseille Blue Stars . . . but it's already 35-0 for the BS.

There seems to be three strong teams in the French league. It'll be interesting if Hunchak ever plays against Scott (they're in different conferences).

2 Likes