Montreal @ Ottawa

Ok Cato. Red lacks are going to blitz and try to hit you. Stand tough and make the throws

GET OUT OF BOUNDS GREEN !!!

Thought Cato was the rookie.

I swear to god im drinking a bottle of grey goose to myself thursday and im picketing in front
Of the stadium FIRE HIGGINS!

#thorpesufferingearlyalzheimers?
#Ihatelosingtohenrymedoocrityburris
#%#^&^*()&^%#%&^()_&^%#$$%&^()_&^%#$%&*(

far side throws over and over and over again. Burris looked like warren moon. Hefney looked like Genie Bouchard SOFT!!!!

2-4 now.
Last in the east.

How much longer for Higgins?

No improvement on any facet of the game.
Penalties galore.

Higgins?!

Although the STUPID / LAZY / CARELESS penalty culture does rest on the HC - IMO - unless he is interfering in the defence, he may not be the biggest problem.

FRIGGING Henry Burris passed for 323 years on 73% passing with no INTs. Their scoring drives were almost unopposed.

652 yards given up in 2 games. No worries right?

it was a winnable game

They’ve lost two games by a combined total of 6 points with a rookie QB. He needs more time.

This. :thup:

Yeah, it's hard to see Higgins getting canned barring Montreal missing the playoffs for the first time since rejoining the league. But I can certainly understand the targetting on him. It really seems like this Montreal team could do a hell of a lot better than they are right now and in my opinion, Higgins doesn't seem to be helping them reach their potential.

Popp should take some heat for this too though. I just really don't get that Hefney signing. Guy really has no discipline out there and he seems like he's lost quite a bit of speed since 2011. Giguere and LeFevour, the Hamilton rejects too were bad signings. I mean even if LeFevour hadn't gotten hurt, that guy has really not sold himself as a good game manager and his arm is not very strong either.

I don't know, that old GM just seems to be on a strange signing binge lately.

How much time do you give Higgins?
Do you see this team improving under Higgins?

I for one, do not.

This game was a rout for the RB,s even though the score was close and the victory doubtful until the final seconds. Our defense was at its worst of the year tonight. Burris completed freely both short and deep. The big RB DT Keith Slologan was in the Als backfield through out the game ( 5 T two sacks) putting immense pressure on Cato whom, I believe played reasonably well with all this pressure. Two interceptions were typical of a rookie QB. Even an old man like myself knows a running and pressured QB should not throw against the grain. With all the RB's pressure our DLwere a tired and worn out group at 3/4 time. The best offensive of the evening came from Rutley by both receptions and the run. I was not surprised at of Rutley's good play as he was a significant factor in our late BC semi final last season. One of these days Stefan Logan will get a TD return without someone being offside. He has been a great find for the team. We do represent last in the East now as RBS have upped their game. Hats off to the RB coaching staff who managed their game very well.

As I wrote on August 2,2015, “I worry more about the defence/Noel Thorpe than the offence/Schonert with the upcoming game in Ottawa”.

Yes there are many factors for tonight’s loss-penalties at crucial times,interceptions- but the defence played a great part in this loss. Ottawa’s defence was much better than Montreal’s defence; yes,they allowed 424 yards to the Als offence but,contrary to Montreal’s defence, they stopped them in crucial times/when Montreal was deep in Ottawa’s zone. During the past 2 games,the Als defence has allowed 829 yards to the opponents.-424 to Calgary and 425 to Ottawa- After the second interception by Ottawa in their zone, they started from their 25 yard line. Did Montreal stop them? No! Ottawa drove to the Als 30 and scored a field goal. With 3 minutes remaining in the game, Ottawa was trailing 23-19 and started at their own 35. Did Montreal stop them? No! In roughly 90 seconds Ottawa drove 75 yards,with the help of 2 penalties to Ellis, and scored a TD for the win.

The penalties were also a reason for this loss; early in the first quarter the Als had first and 10 at Ottawa’s 20,but because of a holding to Luc Brodeur-Jourdain, the Als were back at the 40. Did not gain a first down and had to settle for a single on a missed field goal. Late in the first quarter, Logan returned a punt for a TD,but it was nullified because of a holding penalty to Townsend. Early in the second quarter, Townsend again had a roughing penalty; instead of starting at their own 5, Ottawa started at their 20. The last one to Ellis in the end zone; instead of a loss of down/ball at the Als 14, Ottawa moved to the 1 yard line and scored the winning TD.

I don’t know what will/should happen but some players may have to be replaced and schemes,particularly on defence, have to be changed/improved. I definitely expect Hebert, Lavarias,amongst others, to be dressed for next game.

Richard

What I saw is a defense that can't put pressure on the QB. If Burris is comfortable in the pocket he can still cut you up. Riders are going to be big time sellers very soon. Als could look there for some help. Sam performed as I expected. Keith let him run what he wanted to run and he must have realized that he's not going to be able to take the long way around to sneak up on QB in in the CFL. I allowed him to get a better understanding of what he needs to do to be successful in the CFL. He's extremely powerful guy, if he can put some moves together he could be a good one. He needs a lot of work.

Did the defence play well? No.

Did the offense play well? Guess that depends on how you measure it.
I care about points on the board. The positive the offense contributed 2 td's.
Cato is a rookie - yes. Learning as he goes - yes.
Can he and the offense contribute more to help the team, yes.

Which brings me to Shonert and the play calling. Does he and or Higgins make any adjustments as the game progresses?
It took until the 4th quarter to see a wrinkle in the play calling which actually led to their 2nd td by Giguere.

I did see the RB make adjustments and go with a hurry up offense not allowing the D time to set up.

And once again costly penalties. A trait of Higgins team since he has been the HC here.
Is he on the field? No.
But he can certainly make adjustments to who is on the field such as Hefney. A costly penalty he took against the RB in their first game and here he is taking more penalties.
Not sure what Popp was thinking signing Hefney.

Like last week's loss against the Stamps, plenty of blame to go around aside from just the D!

The question should be, at what point does Higgins get evaluated for the performance of his OC and DC and of the team overall?

Once again, a 4th loss that could/should have been a win.

Offense again failed to convert in the red zone.. INT's or FG's
ST missed 10 potential points on returns/FG
Defense couldn't stop OTT offense, and no turnovers

I think that on offense and defense, we're feeling the effects of being a little long in the tooth.. both at receiver and at LB/DB. Respectably have a hard time getting separation or staying with their man 1-on-1, makes things a lot harder.
Then you have questionable schemes, throw in some penalties and a few rookie mistakes.. and it's another L instead of a much needed W.

I'll be at the next game.. they should be pretty motivated at 2-4, so that's a positive I guess.