Montreal deep at RB thin at Reciever

The Als have lost whitaker for the season but Anderson has been more than able to fill in and was able to bring back Jennings who has not been with the Als since '08 but has been in the pro football circles in the NFL and UFL and is in football shape and knows the system. Also have rookie Noel Devine has been on the IR since Kick off returns did not work out but is still a talented football player and knows the system.
the Reciver spot is something completely different the Als go with the 4 receiver set and FB/TE lavoi with NI Delares as the NI that comes in for Lavoi in 5 rec spots but came into the BB game with less then 9 receptions on the season. With both Bratton and Green out Delarues was thrust into the starting lineup along with Bo Bowling and with import trent guy the 5th and only other receiver to dres for the game. Bowling and Guy have mostly only seen time as return men and both have less than 200 yards receiving on the season. Guy got hurt leaving the Als with only 4 recivers and being down were unable to play any 5 receiver sets. Not that it mattered Deslaures had no receptions on the day and neither did Guy. Bowling had 2 for a mere 32 yards and the bombers held Richardson to less then 50 yards on the day. London exploded however for 170 Yards but that was it.
The Als will need to have all 4 of their starting receivers healthy for the playoffs or it could be a repeat of the BB game with Calvillio having limited targets to throw to.
The Als have added a couple of recivers recently with the Practice roster expnading and have brought back NI rookie free agent Ezra millington in the beginning of sept after being released at the end of raining camp this year.
Very thin.
You could see that Calvillo was not confortable on the last drive with only Richardson and London to go to threw an uncharacteristic Jump Ball to Richardson or London cant remember which with plenty of time left to hit someone under neath.

C'est par son absence qu'on se rend compte de l'importance de Bratton dans l'unité des receveurs des Alouettes.

Bratton est le seul receveur qui ait des qualités et un gabarit différent des autres (Richardson, Green et London). Lorsqu'il n'est pas sur le terrain, l'équipe est privée d'un ensemble de schémas offensifs car aucun substitut n'a ce qu'il faut pour les exploiter. Ça prend Bratton.

On aurait pu espérer que Guy aurait pu commencer à jouer ce rôle, mais Guy est plus fragile que Bratton et on ne pourra compter sur lui pour servir de successeur.

Donc, lorsque Bratton et Green sont sur le carreau, l'équipe se retrouve à jouer avec Bowling et Deslauriers. Ça simplifie beaucoup la vie de la défensive adverse. Bowling n'est pas assez rapide pour faire les tracés de Bratton. On doit donc le faire jouer plus à l'intérieur. D'autre part, comme Calvillo ne regarde jamais du côté de Deslauriers, il n'est même pas nécessaire de le couvrir. Ça permet de mettre une couverture double sur Richardson, parfois sur Richardson ET sur London. Les adversaires ne se permettraient pas ce luxe si Bratton était sur le terrain.

On a perdu successivement London, Richardson et Green. Pourtant l'équipe a pu tirer son épingle du jeu. Mais dès que Bratton a été blessé, l'attaque a été presque incapable de prendre un rythme.

On n'a toujours pas de successeur pour Cahoon, et il faut déjà rêver à un éventuel successeur pour Bratton.

Popp aura beaucoup de travail après la partie du 11 novembre.

If Toronto can give Belli a call, will we give Watkins a call?

Don't know what kind of shape he's stayed in, but if you're looking for a vet presence that knows the system and Calvillo is familiar with. I know he sucked in his last year, I know.
If not him, then Cahoon himself? :wink:

Problem with Watkins is it took him forever to get his game back after he came back from his last injury. A backup defensive tackle does not require the same atheltics. I think you guys will be impressed by Levasier Tuinei. The guys is 6.5. He's a playmaker, smart and tough. I think he was the last receiver cut by the Seahawks. Rose Bowl MVP and we have 3 games to get him comfortable...

Tuinei fits the profile for the Als receiver but he has not even been with the team for a month yet. The Als are usually pretty prepared in the receiving department with at least having a guy being groomed from the beginning of the season if not for two. They have already clinched at least a home playoff game so all of the Big 4 have a month to get healthy and they are going to need every bit of it.

C'est tres vrai, tres difficile a remplacer un tel joueur de Qualite dans Cahoon a fente arriere. Le jue de course pour la saison prochaine pourrait etre la cle si. Mon francais n'est par parfait.

You can't replace guys like that. Especialy non imports.

You mention guys like Tuinei and Devine, anyone heard any word of one or both taking reps with the 1st team in practice in anticipation of starting this week or next?

Bowling is just filler to me, sub-standard returner and average receiver at best.
I hope Trent to come back in time for the return game, and that we look to someone else at receiver.

I hope Anderson can come back in time, an Anderson/Jenkins duo would put my mind at ease… if it’s just Jenkins than I hope he can stay healthy & effective playing every down, not sure about that though.
Don’t think he fits into the Whitaker/Anderson mold of another receiver out of the backfield, more the traditional running RB. I wouldn’t mind a better run/pass split in the playoffs, especially with a depleted receiving corps. A throw-back to the Pringle days might not be such a bad thing… go run-heavy to start, then attack in the air.

Anything to make sure Toronto doesn’t make it to the big game in the CFL’s 100th, or defend the East’s honor by not having an all-Western final in the 100th… either way we gotta make it to the big game.

I am not sure it is possible to dress Anderson, guy and Jennings. Richard might chip in. He ours the expert on roster management.

Definitely possible/has had happened; the only difference now is that Devine is on roster.

Guy could/would replace Bowling and Anderson Tuinei; Devine would be WR.

Once Green is healthy, he could replace Ola.

Richard

Thanks

Euh… Anderson/Jennings, je suppose?

Sur une autre note Jenkins sera de retout prochainement ! :slight_smile:

Agreed. I don't see anything in Bowling that makes him worth keeping after this season is over. He's small, doesn't have good speed, and isn't a good enough route-runner to compensate for his physical limitations. He's abominable as a kick returner. He's playing right now because we have no one else, plain and simple.

I think he's got pretty good hands. Bratton will move up in the rotation. So Richardson,Green,Bratton then we have Bowling,Tuinei,Devine to pick from. I'm happy with that providing that Richardson has his gamve back and Green is healthy. I think Jennings is an upgrade at RB...

disciplineandpunish wrote

Agreed. I don't see anything in Bowling that makes him worth keeping after this season is over. He's small, doesn't have good speed, and isn't a good enough route-runner to compensate for his physical limitations. He's abominable as a kick returner. He's playing right now because we have no one else, plain and simple.
On the basis of what performance do you make the statements about Bowling as a receiver? He never gets the ball! Give the guy a chance at least. He was impressive in pre-season last year, he was showing nice moves after the catch. I'm not saying he's another Chad Owens by any means, but at least give him the ball so we know what he's made of.

And as far as kick returner is concerned, what can you do when there's a wall in front of you the second you catch the ball? I agree he's been poor at that position, but he shares that distinction with many who have tried over the last 2 years.

Well, compared to Deslauriers, sure. :wink:

I don't think he has bad hands, but I also haven't seen him make any catch that indicates he has good hands. Average IMO.

I think Jennings is an upgrade at RB...
Agreed 100% except as a blocker, where he is a big unknown. We need to keep Anthony upright...

IMO he doesn’t get the ball because he isn’t good enough to consistently get open. If he were open, Anthony would go to him.

Give the guy a chance at least. He was impressive in pre-season last year, he was showing nice moves after the catch.
That was two years ago. One good preseason game two years ago means very little to me. Chris Leak looked like a world-beater in that same preseason and where is he now?
And as far as kick returner is concerned, what can you do when there's a wall in front of you the second you catch the ball? I agree he's been poor at that position, but he shares that distinction with many who have tried over the last 2 years.
Guy has done much better on kick returns this season. He has good acceleration and a better topspeed than Bowling, who doesn't have breakaway speed and who goes east-west way too often instead of making one cut and then hitting the hole. It's painful to watch him return kicks, absolutely painful. I'm not excusing Bischoff or our blocking schemes by any means, but we were actually starting to have a decent return game with Guy. Hell, even Dwight Anderson is better in that role!
[b]disciplineandpunish wrote:[/b]
AlsPhil wrote: On the basis of what performance do you make the statements about Bowling as a receiver? He never gets the ball!
IMO he doesn't get the ball because he isn't good enough to consistently get open. If he were open, Anthony would go to him.
It's hard for me to argue, I can't tell if he's open enough or not. I can only hope AC tries to give him the ball. I'd hate for Bowling to show up somewhere else in the CFL and become red hot, à la Chad Owens, without the Als allowing him to show his stuff.
Give the guy a chance at least. He was impressive in pre-season last year, he was showing nice moves after the catch.
That was two years ago. One good preseason game two years ago means very little to me. Chris Leak looked like a world-beater in that same preseason and where is he now?
Well at least Leak got his chance during the regular season. I remember the game, and the Gator chomp, it was not a brilliant outing.

I see that there is talk about Devine playing Receiver. He is a running back but Trestmsn has tlaked about him knowing the system now and his versatility as for being a good receiver he could become one of those hybrid players such as Jock Sanders has become with the Riders and Andre Durie was with the Argos. Although Durie has made the transition to being a slot back first and more of an emergency RB