Montreal Cops Could Be Charged In Alouettes' Arrest

http://www.cjad.com/news/565/771741
Several Montreal police-officers could be charged in connection with an incident 20-months ago, when a couple of Montreal Alouettes players were pulled-over in the Little-Burgundy district, for having too dark a tint on their SUV's windows.

Their lawyer, Raphael Schacter says football players Marc Estelle and Alain Kashama were verbally harassed AND physically assaulted by the arresting officers.

The case is now in the hands of a special prosecutor in Quebec City and a decision on charges against the police officers is expected in the coming days.

Is racism a possible factor in this situation?? First I have heard of it

First time you hear of the incident or or the possible charges?

Both

here are a few links to the original incident

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2006/11/07/alouettes.html [url=http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061107.wsptals7/GSStory/GlobeSportsFootball/home]http://www.globesports.com/servlet/stor ... tball/home[/url]

Basically they were arrested and charges were dropped now it seem the cops may be charges

Dirty cops in Montreal ? Really?!

or xenophobia?

Can’t say as I’m surprised. I lived 31 years in Montreal and the police there can be astonishingly racist. I’m not saying every cop is racist, but many are.

I work with cops every day and if we put up with half as much shit as they do and still manage to do our jobs i'd be suprised.

Why do we automatically assume its the cops fault or it was racism and assume that the people involved (the players) did nothing to provoke or insite the police.

You can't yell or disrespect a cop and not expect them to be "oh sorry sir, sorry to wreck your day and get upset, you have a good night now..."

Having the charges dropped against the players and are possible against the cops helps that assumption, dont you think?

Courts usually give police benefit of the doubt and rule in their favor. For example, police can detain people if a crime is suspected but might not actually occurred. Afterall, they work together and complement each other. For a lawsuit to succeed against police, solid evidence and extraordinary facts are needed.

They carry guns and as such have a responsibility to be fair and rational in their dealings with civilians. This isn’t a police state.

Why do we automatically assume its the cops fault or it was racism and assume that the people involved (the players) did nothing to provoke or insite the police.
Considering that the charges against the players have been dropped, while charges against the cops have been filed, the assumption is reasonable, though not 'automatic' by any means. If anything, I find people assume far too quickly that any person who is detained or even arrested is automatically guilty.
You can't yell or disrespect a cop and not expect them to be "oh sorry sir, sorry to wreck your day and get upset, you have a good night now..."
Excuse me. Cops are not gods. I don't give a flying crap about whether they like being yelled at or disrespected. Nobody likes that, obviously. It does not entitle them to use violence against any civilian.

If they (cops) can't handle the heat they should get out of the kitchen. Everyone desires to be treated with repect. Bad cops just make it worse for the good ones and they should be (if it were possible) weeded out.

So now you presume the cops are guilty. Interesting.

They will be investigated and if there is any wrong doing they will be punished accordingly. But until they have in fact finished their investigation and found them guilty of anything they too are innocent. There are always two sides of a story. Remember they pulled over a car with tinted windows with little to no visibility. In most provinces it is illegal to have non factory tinted windows. Many officers in North America have been shot in scenarios such as this. As far as treating the two players in a racist manor would be inexcusable.

I was wrongfully arrested by the RCMP in Vernon. Almost shot within viewing distance of an RCMP Station in Coquitlam, and again 3 months later at an internet cafe.
This doesn't compare to what happened, but the RCMP, and Police across canada are not payed enough and are very corrupt. As you can see with the Chief of police in cities throughout Canada being taken out because of corruption, but really taking the fall for all the people below them doing the dirty work.

The police in Canada and the US are power tripping jerks, and they love nothing more than to belittle you, and make you feel like crap, and break the law and get away with it knowing you won't have time to fight it or the abilities.

Yea their are some good ones, but they are few and far between. Most of them are jerks, and will do whatever they want whenever they want and get a slap on the wrist for it.

I police officer could walk up to you on the street and shoot you and if there aren't any witnesses, they would totally get away with it. "I had to, he was attacking me, i feared for my life." Is it legal, no, but its about as legal as the police flipping on their sirens at red lights whenever they please, and then turning them off right after.

Most of them are jerks, and will do whatever they want whenever they want and get a slap on the wrist for it.
complete and total bull.

Absolutely not, its total truth. I just gave you proof, you just gave me an opinion as usual. Crooked chiefs across the country, power trippers, i have the proof, you just say its bull. Look at what happened at Vancouver airport, now this in montreal, in the US. So on so forth. Don’t make me go on cuz i’ll prove it to you even more, you don’t even know what you’re talking about.

You watch to many movies.

NO i watch the news! Read newspapers, confirm sources, been through it myself, and see it happening. Do i really have to link all the articles about the crooked police chiefs dating back all the way to the Mafia days? You just never been through it, you know nothing about the reality.