Montreal at Hamilton GT, Thu. August 27, 7 pm et, TSN

Thursday Night Football
Montreal Alouettes vs. Hamilton Tiger-Cats
Thu 7PM ET / 4PM PT on TSN1, TSN3, TSN4 and TSN5

Obviously this is a big game for both clubs. A Hamilton win and Montreal will be eight points behind in the run for first in the East, so there is a lot of added incentive for the Cats to dig the hole a little deeper. Oh yeah...and some guy who wore #68 is getting his number retired. A statement game indeed!

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

Scouting report: Alouettes and Ticats

Game 9

[b]Montreal Alouettes (3-5) Hamilton Tiger-Cats (6-2)

Tim Hortons Field

Thursday

Game time: 7:30 p.m.

TV: TSN; Radio: TSN 1150

The storyline for Montreal:
The Alouettes are playing in their first game under new general manager Jim Popp, who takes over as head coach after firing Tom Higgins. The move was a controversial one, with several veterans voicing their appreciation of what Higgins had accomplished. Popp's bona fides as general manager are indisputable — they've won four Grey Cups during his tenure — but his record as a head coach is just 17-24, including playoffs.

Key injuries: Leading rusher Tyrell Sutton is out while Aaron Lavarias is sidelined with a finger injury. Brandon Rutley and Stefan Logan will handle the rushing duties, while veteran John Bowman returns to the lineup for Lavarias.

Five funky Montreal stats

•There have been 56 in-season head coaching changes in the CFL since 1956 — and the new head coach has won their first game at the helm 25 times (a .446 winning percentage.) This is the eighth time it's happened since 2006 and the third for Montreal in that stretch.

•In their 23-13 win over the Lions last week, the Alouettes limited B.C. to just 217 net yards and 33 on the ground. Both were season-best defensive performances, as was the 23:07 that the Lions controlled the ball.

•Montreal ran the ball 39 times against B.C., gaining 251 yards. It was the most rushing attempts by Montreal since July, 2001.

•Montreal quarterbacks Rakeem Cato and Tanner Marsh completed a combined 19-of-22 passes for 154 yards and a TD against the Lions. The team completion rate 86.4 per cent was the club's second highest ever after Anthony Calvillo's 86.8 per cent in July 2007.

•At 95 per cent, first-year Montreal kicker Boris Bede is on pace to set a new CFL record for field goal accuracy. He is just ahead of the record set by Calgary's Rene Paredes 94.7 per cent in 2013.

The storyline for Hamilton:
They've won five straight, 10 in a row at home and are the consensus pick as the CFL's best team at the moment. This is a sneaky-big game before Labour Day.

Key injuries: Receiver Bakari Grant and Canadian running back Anthony Woodson remain sidelined.

Ticats roster changes and what they mean: Hamilton is shuffling their secondary, with boundary corner Ed Gainey taking a seat after a rough outing against Edmonton. Rico Murray slides from halfback to corner, with Johnny Sears, who has missed the last six games with a hamstring injury, taking over at boundary half. Canadian defensive back Craig Butler returns after missing two games, but will be limited to special teams and some defensive packages with Mike Daly getting the start at safety.

Five funky Hamilton stats

•Quarterback Zach Collaros has led Hamilton to 14 wins in their past 19 games and a perfect 9-0 regular season record at Tim Hortons Field.

•Collaros leads the CFL in passing yards with 2,339, yards per drive at 27.9, points per possession, and 30-yard completions.

•In Hamilton's first four games, Collaros led them to just six touchdown drives in 48 possessions (12.5 per cent). Over the past four games he has 16 TD drives in 53 possessions for a 30.2 per cent mark.

•Collaros' passer rating in the first four games is 94.1; and his past four games: 133.2.

•The Alouettes are the only CFL club that Collaros does not have a win-loss record of at least .500 or better against. He is 2-4 in six starts against Montreal, 17-6 against the rest of the CFL.

TSN play-by-play: Rod Black and Duane Forde :roll:

Referee: Tom Vallesi

The weather forecast: Partly cloudy, 19 degrees, 20 per cent chance of rain, winds out of the west at 6 km/h.[/b]

Montreal gets 251 yards on the run last week to help Cato. Popp calls for the run this week. Hamilton has the best run defense but also an active secondary that could feast on Cato's errant throws. I'm thinking the Als really DO try to run. If they can nickle and dime the 'Cats and keep the score low early they'll gain confidence.

I wonder what Steinauer has planned.

Popp did say that they would try to establish the run - as I commented in the earlier thread about his statement that the Als would (could) win - which has mysteriously disappeared. The key to the Larks winning last week was to run, run, run the ball but if Popp thinks that will work in Hamilton, he hasn't been paying too much attention to the Ticats' D which has been the best at stopping the run as you mentioned!

Whatever Steinauer and other Ticats coaches have planned it will be better than anything Popp & Co are likely to try. I'll pit our coaches against any in the league when it comes to creative game planning.

Welcome to the Trap game

Hope coach has them ready I want to see another great win

I'm guessing "Obliteration, destroy, destroy, destroy."

Old time football. It is great to be entering my second childhood with a D that resembles the great sixties teams.

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Some comments from the Als:

Hefny tweet:
@CFL_News
“I think we are best team. I can’t just give them credit on being best because they haven’t beat us? - @ElHefney5 #CFL via @HerbZurkowsky1

Bowman:
#Alouettes John Bowman on #Ticats: “Everyone is talking about streaks & they are 6-2. But the last team they lost to is us.? #CFL

Comment from Popp about his coaching abilities:
#Als coach @PoppJim: "All I can say is that it's worked and I've led this team to a Grey Cup, I've gotten us to the playoffs every time."

If you think Popp thinks that, you should pay more attention to what he actually says, instead of hearing what you want to hear. What he actually said amounts to this: he recognized that Hamilton has a great run D, and though he opined that Montreal has to run the ball better than they did last time against you guys (a pitiful 10 yards on 6 carries or something like that), he also said that you can't expect to run over Hamilton the way we did against BC last week. So he's not expecting us to run for 200 yards against the Cats, but he does want more than 10 yards on 6 carries. I don't think that's arrogant or unrealistic, just fair. If we don't run the ball -- and Schonert got scared off from it very early in the last MTL-HAM game -- we play right into your hands.

Whatever Steinauer and other Ticats coaches have planned it will be better than anything Popp & Co are likely to try. I'll pit our coaches against any in the league when it comes to creative game planning.
On this point, I agree wholeheartedly. I don't expect a Montreal win; in fact, I expect a blowout loss. If we can keep the score relatively close in a loss, I'll be happy.

A Brief history of THF

:thup: :thup: :thup: :cowboy:

24,000 Mosca towels or flags to be given out tonight at the game!

http://assets.ticats.ca.s3.amazonaws.com/app/uploads/2015/08/24103048/Screen-Shot-2015-08-24-at-10.30.23-AM-660x325.jpg

The Mosca tribute/ceremony will be at half time

Happy Birthday Zach !!! Aug.27, 1988

There was a trifecta of TiCats QB’s Birthdays this week

Interesting. The last time we had a Ticat have a birthday on a game day, he walked away with two interceptions for touchdowns…

Yeesh! I hope that doesn't happen to Zach tonight! Na! Never Happen

Checking my ticket I see that the start time is 7:30 not 7:00 like the (above) Subject line states.

(One of the few times Russ has been caught out in an error, I'm sure). :slight_smile:

Mosca Night, it will be special!

Fantastic!

for the 3rd home game in a row I have the Cats good luck charm coming along for the ride. my boy Jake! so I am expecting another 50 burger!
LETS GO CATS!! :rockin:

We'll just settle for Zach throwing TDs - or he can run them in if he wants - :rockin: but we definitely need more than 2. Wonder if we can outdo last week's offensive production with 7 :smiley: :wink:.

Anyway Happy Birthday Zach - celebrate in style with a nice BIG W. :smiley: