Montreal at Calgary 10/15/06

Practice roster with 15 guys is 11 250 bucks a week. That’s 44k and we lose all of the top prospects for next year. I don’t see that as proof one way or another Richard. Even cutting Duron Carter would net them next to nothing if he got half his contract up front, highest paid guy on the team would save them 40k or so.

I personally find it incredible but Herb usually is pretty serious about checking his sources when he picks on a bone like this one.

Herb is most serious about making Popp look bad.

I agree with Richard. I don't see how this could be true, but if it is, Popp should be fired on the spot.

In: Ray Drew, Alex Charette, Jean-Samuel Blanc, Boris Bede
Out: Anthony Coady, Tyree Hollins, Jeff Finley, Anthony Fera

:thup:

[i]300k over the cap for a team competing for a Grey Cup is acceptable. 300k over the cap for this clusterfudge is UNACCEPTABLE!

Popp needs to go. [/i]

[i]Yup, Chappy is overruling his DC. That’s what a REAL HC does.

Thorpe would have kept doing the same crap that doesn’t work :roll:

It’s a good thing that Popp went straight to work finding defensive tackles after releasing Martin, and Klassen’s injury.

Oh wait…

:roll: WE are ******![/i]

[i]It is hard to believe. One reason it seems unlikely, the QB salaries. The QBs are USUALLY the best paid players on the team. But, we don’t have AC making 350k to 400k. Maybe Glenn was making 250k, but he was traded mid season. The rest of the QBs don’t make that much.

If the team really is 300k over with a stable of QBs making peanuts, AYOYE! What a mess! :roll: [/i]

[i]OT but, Herb is also real serious about drinking Chivas. With ICE no less! :roll:

Real men drink single malt and NO ICE! :cowboy:

Here’s Johnny’s favorite baby :smiley: [/i]

Makes no sense to me. The highest paid guy on the team is Carter, the next highest paid SJ never hit the sms payroll except for his bonus.

Ray Drew will make his debut against the Stamps. He can’t be any worse than Jeff Finley. Casual fans would never even realize that Finley was in the game because he was a non-factor.

I'm from BC and follow all teams but mostly the Lions.

I really hope Chapdelaine remains as the HC going forward. He kind of fell out of favor here mainly I think because of his length of tenure as OC. The coordinators here don't get much air time ( HC or Buono do the talking here for the most part) but many of the fans tired of his offense. But he was solid and developed several different QBs.

I really like that he made a change in receivers in adding Charette to the active roster after noting "soft blocking" and in pushing for more 4-3 looks. He's following up more in 2 games than Popp did in 13.

The English vs French media pull between Trestman and Chapdelaine has already started. Best thing to do would be to replace Popp and let the new GM choose his HC. Then stop meddling in football ops.

Do you think there is even a remote possibility that Trestman returns? I can’t see it and don’t really think it would be a good idea.

But I do agree that whoever the GM is he should hire the HC of his choosing. I’m hoping he chooses Chapdelaine ultimately.

Hmm. I think the issue here is Popp’s failure to supervise the coordinators when he was HC. He should never have let Thorpe suddenly switch to a 3-4 two games into the season (like WTF was the reason? We were 1-1 and there was no indication a 4-3 front was some kind of problem for us). However, once the switch was made, one could argue, with some conviction, that we didn’t need to go tackle-hunting, because we were only starting one DT (Cash) and so all we needed were rotation guys and backups (Joseph, Finley).

In any case, I agree with jamie on Chap’s proactiveness. Regardless of what happens next season, I appreciate Chap swiftly moving to correct problems that Popp just sat back and let fester for months. Chap isn’t stupid, he can see what the rest of us have seen – that the 3-4 puts no pressure on opposing QBs and makes us super-weak against the run.

[i]Yup, it’s Thorpe’s change to a 3-4 that created this mess. Another thing, John Bowman started off the season strong with 4 sacks in 4 games. He has been almost invisible since then. It’s obvious this 3-4 system does not play to his strengths.

Johnny questions the wisdom of a DC, that would create a system where the teams best pass rusher is rendered ineffective. :roll: [/i]

Yes, agreed. It speaks both to Thorpe’s stubbornness – installing a scheme that neuters his best players – and his inability to adjust. Teams have figured us out. The whole issue on second and long has been about three years now. Has he done anything to address it? Nope.

You can’t tell me that John Bowman all of a sudden just forgot how to pass-rush once we switched to a 3-4. Reminds me a bit of Reinebold’s stupid schemes where he had Bowman dropping into shallow end coverage and playing laterally, rather than attacking the QB.

Scratches are Jared Koster and Ryan White. Because Martin Bédard has a virus, the Als signed LS Chad Bushley.

Ray Drew started as the Als played the 4-3 for most of the plays in that 1st series. Drew does not look great, but he is a big body.

Rutley is down. Looks like it might be a shoulder injury. And, the Als are on pace for 36 yards of total offense.