Montreal Alouettes unveil new helmet

MONTREAL — The Montreal Alouettes unveiled their new helmet on Wednesday.

The team stated that the new helmets were adjustment to what was created in February 2019, as the team launched its new identity. On these new buckets, the Alouettes logo will be more noticeable for viewers, as it will be placed on each side of the helmet.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/04/27/montreal-alouettes-unveil-new-helmet/
1 Like

i really like the new helmets.

1 Like

Yes, the original new logo was a bit abstract.

I like this one better too. Didn't care too much for the 1 logo covering the helmet.

2 teams have now done good jobs with the helmets this off season

2 Likes

What stupid unveil. They added one stripe and called it new. Should've kept the angry bird logo on the helmet instead

1 Like

Muuuchh beter. :+1:

You mean the old Woody Woodpecker on crack logo ? I personally like this new one . It's stylish , not to busy and much easier to interpret than the original one on the top of the helmet which basically looked like something a kid scribbled on with a red crayon .

2 Likes

Don't diss Woody. He's right up there with Bugs and Mickey as a cartoon icon.

Adding a stripe doesn't make it new. That's like painting a 'stache on the Mona Lisa and calling innovating. Somebody didn't try hard to earn their money for the design. Poor Gary had to sign the cheque for that garbage design add on

1 Like

Or Etcha-Sketch.

1 Like

My memory of Etcha-Sketch when I was a kid usually went something like this... :smiley:

3 Likes

I think the stripe adds the traditional element to the logo. Along with the minimalist bird concept its a perfect mashup between old and new. 5 stars on the new design.

1 Like

Most football helmets have a stripe on them anyway, nothing creative about that stripe. That's just being lazy. Let's make that 5 stars out of a 100 instead

I think the former helmet was more creative, but it just didn't come together that well. It needed more contrast to be able to see that those lines come together to form the logo. I think they could have tried to fill the logo with white, or have white outline and red fill.

The new design is clearer, but I don't think it needed the white outline because you can easily see the entire logo on each side. I'm a bit ambivalent toward the stripe. It's OK, but the traditional touch it brings kind of undermines the modernist minimalist feel of the new logo.

1 Like

I just like the bird logo better though

White outline makes a huge difference. You have a dark red on a dark blue. There's not nearly enough contrast. The white helps define it.

That is a huge improvement. The old one looked like some kind of drawn out instructions on how to get across town to the stadium. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I actually prefer the older ones from 2019. Because it was a little bit outside the box. Saying that, I do like the deeper red and blue of the Al's. When they line up on the field, Montreal looks really good in their uniforms. Now, as a bomber fan...here's hoping for a great season in Montreal. Maybe...we'll get to meet up somewhere in the playoffs? :slight_smile:

Still looks like a child's Etcha-Sketch drawing. Not something to inspire pride at all, just a piece of abstract modern art.

2 Likes

I agree that the centre stripe makes it too busy-looking, and seems superfluous. They've evolved the look from "too minimalist" to "overdone", but the centre stripe will score points with traditionalists.

The white outline makes the M-bird logo way more visible from a distance, up in the stands or even on TV during night games, so I think it's a necessary tweak.

Personally, I think any MTL team uniform needs more of a tricolour orientation. This helmet design sort of moves in that direction, but not enough. I'm not recommending a helmet reminiscent of the Expos beloved caps, but I think they need stronger red and white in the mix.

I'd like to see a return to a white helmet, with the red M-bird on either side, by itself, and with a single blue center stripe. I also think the uniform tops ought to be primary red or red/white/blue rather than primarily dark blue. But dark blue or black is more trendy.

3 Likes

Love the profile name. I remember when Wally Gabler and Tom Wilkinson QB'd the Argos.