Moncton vs. Halifax.. Who should be next for a CFL franchise

I found a column on tsn.ca by AJ Walling that I found very interesting.
I don't know if any of you have read it but if you wanna take a look here it is:

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/aj_walling.asp

After reading that, what city, Halifax or Moncton, do you think should get a CFL franchise?

If Regina can support a team, why can't Moncton?

This part of the article really caught my attention:

Before one says Moncton is to small let's look at our own league and see that Moncton's area and slight drive is bigger than Regina. And if Green Bay can have the Packers who says Moncton can't have a team.

Moncton might just win this battle for another CFL franchise. Let's just wait and see. :slight_smile:

The problem with Moncton is that I doubt many from Halifax will drive there for a game, and there's not enough people in Truro and the Valley to compensate. However, people from Truro and the Valley will also drive to Halifax for a game, but Halifax has a much bigger population within a 45 minute drive than Moncton, which has to count on people from more than 2 hours away.

Also, for the first few years at least, I doubt many people from Halifax would attend games in Moncton just out of spite.

I'd like QC to get the next team.

Halifax had TD atlantic, but there have been Exhibution games in the maritimes before, like in St. John in 1986.

I'd like to see a Exhibution game in Moncton next year though.

People always go on and on about Green Bay. Bear in mind that Milwaukee's just a stone's throw away, their are probably way more season ticket holders living there than in Green Bay.

Not to meation that for 61 years the Packers played in both Milwaukee and Green Bay untill 1994.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/gb/packers.html

Most Canadians don't realize how many people live in the U.S. The 2000 U.S. census has more than 5.3 million people living in the state of Wisconsin and it is not so large of a state in area that most of it's people would not consider driving to Green Bay. Moncton is too small and football in New Brunswick has only a modest following even by Canadian standards. Add to that the fact that their idea for a stadium is a mostly temporary bleacher complex and the whole idea of the CFL in Moncton only gets worse.

Note the discussion "Why Moncton NB is not CFL material"

Alex Walling is the biggest homer in sports media. I think the man actually believes the NHL would survive in Halifax....big cheeerleader but completely unrealistic in most things he says

Why not a team in Quebec and in Halifax .... hell put one in Kelowna too. 12 team league. If you think 3 expansion teams are too much, well Calgary needs a chance to win some games too.

QC, Halifax, and Victoria

When the CFL takes applications for the 10th franchise, is the process similar to the NFL expansion process, basically whoever has the best bid & best stadium plan gets the team?

That's not totally ture for the NFL, they awarded the 32nd team to LA when they weren't ready and that team was reawared to Houston and became the Teaxans.

I would like to see 12 teams in the CFL too. Halifax, Quebec City, and London. There are alot of people with alot of money in southwestern Ontario and London is far enough away from Hamilton and Toronto so they shouldn't be affected by a London team.

That statistic's not very relevant though, half the people who went to Touchdown Atlantic weren't even born in 1986.

I vote Quebec City

I just don't see the corporate support in Halifax, but I could be wrong.

If a Quebec team signs enough French Canadian Talent, and markets around that they should be a success. However, if they do not, I don't see the fans latching on for longer then a few years.

Problem with London, QC and Halifax is that they're all eastern ... there'd be 5 western teams and 7 eastern. Otherwise, those are definitely the top 3 markets ...

One thing about Halifax: It's far away from anywhere else. I mean, people in QC can drive to Montreal to see football; people in London can drive to Toronto or Hamilton. But the kind people in Halifax have nowhere to go...

Sounds like Juneo, Alaska should chage it's capital to Anhorage or Fairbanks cuz it's almost impossible to get into Juneo.

Have to agree with westcoast. From what I've heard on the news for years, the Province of Quebec wants to succede from the rest of Canada. This could pose political as well as personal problems for a team in that area.

There are factions in Quebec that want to separate, but it's not very likely, at least any time soon. as long as the Province retains sovreignty and the economy remains strong, you won't see another 2% referendum. But any team wanting to be successful in Quebec has to appeal to the french fans, the Canadiens had french hockey stars, the Allouetts have Eric Lapointe.

The reason Laval has so many fans for college ball, is it is a french univeristy. Football culture is growing in Quebec City because of Laval, and in 2-3 years I think they will be ready for a CFL team, as long as corporate support and sponsors are there, radio and RDS are involved, and they market french players.

[quote="CanucKev"]Problem with London, QC and Halifax is that they're all eastern ... there'd be 5 western teams and 7 eastern. Otherwise, those are definitely the top 3 markets ...

One thing about Halifax: It's far away from anywhere else. I mean, people in QC can drive to Montreal to see football; people in London can drive to Toronto or Hamilton. But the kind people in Halifax have nowhere to go. I would rather see a team go to a place like London where it has the best chance to succeed than go to Victoria or Sasakatoon because of geagraphy. If Detroit and Columbus can be in the Western Conference of the NHL with an 82-game season, then London can be in the West Division of the CFL