Moncton Stadium Getting More Money

Well this is interesting, I guess the rumours of the stadium being increased just might turn out to be true:

Additional stadium cash on way
Premier to announce more funding in new year for 2010 world track event
Mary Moszynski
Times & Transcript Staff
Published Friday December 28th, 2007
Appeared on page A1
The provincial government is poised to commit additional money towards the new stadium for Moncton as the city prepares to host the 2010 World Junior Track and Field Championships ........

for the full article, see:

[url=http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/front/article/168347]http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/f ... cle/168347[/url]

I don't get it. People are willing to give money for a stadium to host a one time event, but not for a CFL team that will last for 30-40 years.

This is not a one time use facility… it will serve as a professional traning centre and serve the community afterwards.

The events are what give the political cover, many CFL stadiums over the years have been built this way.

The stadium will be part of the university, so even if it is not built large enough for the CFL, it will be used for a number of sports.

IMO, the prospect of hosting a CFL team should be cause enough.

The simple fact is that there is not enough money in the sport to finance a stadium for that single use. And yes while there are community teams, it would be politically difficult (and in some communities against the law) for government to build a facility for a private business.

Now the Peg situation relates to a private public ‘partnership’ and might be a model that works in some communities, but time will tell.

How did Toronto get a publicly financed one billion dollar retracable roof stadium, and also a publicly financed soccer stadium, while the rest of us in Canada get nothing?

…you have to be at the centre of the universe to get that kind of facility with public money, berezin…and afterwards say thanx for all that by bringing in an nfl team to play in it… :lol:

I don't get it. People are willing to give money for a stadium to host a one time event, but not for a CFL team that will last for 30-40 years.
Not sure what the people have to do with it. This is the government's decision and they have unlimited money available to impress us by luring "world-class events" to their burb. Unfortunately building stadiums for CFL teams is no longer impressive, so the league is lucky to have the dilapitated joints they currently use... until they become a safety hazard, like in Ottawa, then govt's are tempted to "give the land away" to a connected billionaire so he can develop a retail/condo complex instead.

Hmmm. From what I have read, the plan in Ottawa is to "give the land away" on a long-term lease then collect $15M/year in taxes, instead of shelling out $1.5M in maintenance costs.

Sounds a tragic case of an outbreak of common sense.

i think a few more million needs to be put into it before it's CFL caliber, 10, 000 isn't going to cut it, i think it needs to be atleast 20, 000. same with ottawa and QC, their stadiums need a few more million put into them. where are all those millionaires when you need them?

Nothing? How’s that? How did Vancouver, Edmonton, Hamilton, Sask. get their stadiums? They were built with public money for “world class events”

SkyDome was built as a home for Toronto’s teams because the public had a desire for it at the time.

BMO Field was built as a part of the FIFA U20 bid… again a world class event. They (City of Toronto) needed a tenant - in walks MLSE - the rest is history.

The public has little desire to spend public $$$ for private business and single use facilities. The CFL will have to find owners and financial backing if they want to build new stadiums and expand - its really that simple.

If Toronto was to bid for the 2020 or 2024 Olympics - there will be a 90,000 seat facility built and would also be the conerstone of a FIFA World Cup bid…
It would become home to the Jays and Argos after reconfiguration… or perhaps an NFL franchise…
Thre is always a bigger picture when it comes to using public $$$ for a stadium project these days.

What "world class event" helped build the stadium in Regina?
Why is it that the only new facility built for the FIFA tournament was in Toronto? Edmonton already had a stadium three times the capacity of BMO Field with a natural playing surface. A temporary grass surface could have been put in at SkyDome, BC Place, or Olympic Stadium for about $100 000. If public money existed for stadiums, wouldn't it have been better spent in some of the older facilities? If Toronto was so intersted in a soccer specific stadium, why didn't they just demolish the baseball deck at Exhibition Stadium and replace it with a small deck running parallel to the remaining deck? They would have ended up with a stadium that had a larger capacity for a fraction of the costs.

What "world class event" helped build the stadium in Regina?
Why is it that the only new facility built for the FIFA tournament was in Toronto? Edmonton already had a stadium with three times the capacity of BMO Field with a natural playing surface. A temporary grass surface could have been put in at SkyDome, BC Place, or Olympic Stadium for about $100 000. If public money existed for stadiums, wouldn't it have been better spent in some of the older facilities? If Toronto was so intersted in a soccer specific stadium, why didn't they just demolish the baseball deck at Exhibition Stadium and replace it with a small deck running parallel to the remaining deck? They would have ended up with a stadium that had a larger capacity for a fraction of the costs.

My mistake on Mosiac Stadium - that is part of the university??? Built back in the late 1920’s.

I’m not sure why that is. Perhaps the CSA wanted to keep cost down, Perhaps the existing facilities were good enough. Roger’s Centre was asking for too much money and I do know that FIFA wanted a stadium in Toronto to grow interest in the sport here. MLSE put in a bid for the MLS franchise - so everything just happen to come together at the right time… BTW The stadium at the Ex was torn down back in 1999 to make a parking lot… so I’m not sure what that has to do with the current situation or desire for a soccer stadium.
Olympic Stadium was used for the U20 - the Turf there cost $1,000,000.
Edmonton was chosen as the site for Canada to play and they bungled that pretty bad. Sour grapes over not getting the final? So what do they do - not show up and support the team… way to go guys!
Victoria and Burnaby were already selected as sites and got upgrades to the stadiums. Again BC place was asking too much and was too big for the teams that were playing there.

Back to Moncton - If a CFL stadium is to be built there an owner has to present themselves and make a proposal first… not the other way around. As far as I know there are no plans to put a CFL team there… no owner has presented themselves… so why is this an issue and why drag Toronto into it?

And no - I don’t think the money would be better spent on the older facilities - they are outdated and need replacing. If the host cities can’t afford it then it comes back on the CFL and current owners to fix the situation.

Edmonton was chosen as the site for Canada to play and they bungled that pretty bad. Sour grapes over not getting the final? So what do they do - not show up and support the team.... way to go guys!
How did Edmonton bungle the U20's? Look at the attendance, Edmonton was right up there in attendance for the event.
Victoria and Burnaby were already selected as sites and got upgrades to the stadiums. Again BC place was asking too much and was too big for the teams that were playing there.
The problem with Burnaby and Victoria is that next to none of the upgrades were permanent.

As well I don’t think Taylor Field was built with the support of the University of Regina, in fact they only started using it when the Junior football team (the Rams) turned into the U of R rams a few years ago (more than a few…5 years ago or something like that).

The difference is one is amateur sports and the other is professional sports. Governments will fund for amateur sports but not for a por team owned by a oprivate investor. Usually international events get the funding.

Agreed - Amateur sports need funding from all levels while professional sports are a business and in theory shouldn’t need finacial support from the government…

You would be very hard pressed to find any part of Mosiac that is older than the mid 1970’s. A bit of the 1948 structure might have been incorperated in some of the development, but not much.

Not sure about federal money being involved, might be a bit for the odd upgrade including I think upgrades to the sound system for the Summer Games a few years back. I just do not think that Regina has ever made a big bid for an event in which they requested significant money for a major upgrade. The province has put in some money, but overall its been the City which has done work in bits and pieces.

As for the University? Nope! TF was not built for the Unversity, heck their football program is only a few years old.

Oh I see now… still owned and operated by the City of Regina… For some reason I had thought otherwise.
Mosaic just has the naming rights…