Moncton get money for stadium.....

sportguy wrote:

This stadium in Moncton is being built without the CFL in mind. I was watching the news and the mayor actually said "we'll leave that for Halifax". That shocked me.

I don't think it's that shocking since it probably would be difficult to recover the money back on a CFL size stadium compared with a bare-bones 10,000 seater for the CIS.

MBB and caperdude, it's really impressive that you (would or do) drive 3 hours to go to games - I would do the same if I had to move to a non-CFL city - but the question is, how often would you do it? Every home game? And even if so, how many people like you are out there?

I think having a 10 000 seat stadium is the first step to a chance of expanding.
NO a 10 000 seat stadium would not work for a CFL team, but a 10 000 seat stadium would work for a CFL exhibition game if they brough in some rented bleachers. Halifax only has a 2000 seat stadium and they crammed in 11 000 people for a CFL exhibition game.
I would like to see more exhibition games played in different cities myself.

i would go to see Halifax play 4 times a year.i go to Halifax alot in a run of a year

As I said befor, what they should do is play have the games in Moncton and half the games in Halifax.

We can't even get one stadium built. How would we get one in Halifax AND one in Moncton?

I am saying that it would be better if they played in both cities so that it would share the costs.
This would be IF Halifax was awarded the games and had a stadium and Moncton with its already 10 000 seat stadium can use temporary seating to make it 20 000 seats.
Keep in mind if Halifax was awared the games it would give Monction several years to upgrade the stadium a little bit each year.

Face it.The CFL is too greedy and divided to put a team in Ottawa, a city that has a stadium, etc... How do you expect them to expand to the east coast or anywhere else when they can't agree on sharing revenues with an expansion bid in Ottawa , let alone Halifax. Let's face it, Ottawa, Halifax and CFL expansion is a pipe dream. Move on.

You have had two chances to support a franchise there, ORR, and FAILED both times. I hope Ottawa can get another franchise, but in the end it is up to the fans to support the team, NO MATTER WHO THE OWNER IS!!! If another franchise is granted, or the old one revived, the pressure will be squarely on the fans to support this team. The league is doing its homework to get good ownership this time around, so the LEAST Ottawa fans can do is to make sure that football in the nation's capital is there to stay for good.

[quote="sambo42You The league is doing its homework to get good ownership this time around, so the LEAST Ottawa fans can do is to make sure that football in the nation's capital is there to stay for good.
[/quote]

The questiion is...Why didn't they do their "homework" in Ottawa the post Allan Watter years, when the fans had to put up with shitty ownership after shitty ownership. I agree if they do their homework this time around, it will surely be on the fans shoulders, if, the CFL creates an environment where a comepetitive team will be on the field from the get go. Let's hope they don't screw the new team with a crappy draft. Oh what is that I hear now ? The CFL wants more money now for the franchise from the Palmer group than originally stated. Good start CFL.

I agree, once good owners are in place then it will be up to the fans to support the team. But, the league must allow the Ottawa (or future) expansion team(s) the opportunity to compete from day one. that means the other teams will have to part with one or two of their best players. They shouldn’t do to Ottawa what the NBA did to the Grizzlies and raptors. We all know that story.

Although I now live in SK, I am a Caper at heart having grown up there and I agree with caperdude that there are a great many capers who would drive the 3+ hours to Hfx to see big league ball, I know of some who drive there for University ball so I am sure more would drive there for the CFL, I don't think Shannon park would be the best place for a 50k seat stadium though, as traffic in that area would be a nightmare, since it is right by the water they could set up ferry runs to the military dock there and bring many more from the Halifax side of the harbour. On a minor technicality Shannon Park is actually in Dartmouth not Halifax.

But its all part of HRM.

In a 3-hour radius around Calgary, for example, there's probably well over 2.5 million people. Likewise, in a 3-hour radius around Edmonton, there's easily more than 2 million people. Calgary and Edmonton are 3 hours away ... and for example, I don't think many people from Red Deer drive down for Stamps games, or up for Esks games.
Sounds like the CFL needs a team in Red Deer, eh?

I beleive that Moncton has about 1 million population within an hour or two's drive, while Halifax has only about 450,000.

It is great in such a economically-depressed area that we can build new stadiums for two-week events in Halifax and Moncton. Including ripping down apartment bldgs to construct brand new accomodations for the atheletes with movie theatres and arcades. Or why the feds built a billion-dollar bridge to PEI, to serve 150,000 people??

But,I guess it's only our money and the gov't has more of it than it knows how to give away... :roll:

Being a Halifax resident, I am partially biased, but I would not classify Halifax as being economically depressed. As far as the population base in Halifax, at least 2/3 of the provinces 1 million residents live in the HRM or surrounding areas. As far as a 3 hour driving distance goes, I could I drive to PEI in 3 hours(Moncton is 2.25 hours away) from Halifax. As far as our support for football in Halifax you only have to look to the Saint Mary's Huskies, we like our football, but the whole idea of expansion needs to fall back on the league. If they are serious about expanding in Canada they need to enforce a hard salary cap. A salary cap would allow smaller market teams to compete. Without the enforced cap the CFL could be endanger of jepordizing the smaller market teams it already has.

[quote author="Ottawa_Rough_Riders"]

The questiion is...Why didn't they do their "homework" in Ottawa the post Allan Watter years, when the fans had to put up with shitty ownership after shitty ownership. I agree if they do their homework this time around, it will surely be on the fans shoulders, if, the CFL creates an environment where a comepetitive team will be on the field from the get go. Let's hope they don't screw the new team with a crappy draft. Oh what is that I hear now ? The CFL wants more money now for the franchise from the Palmer group than originally stated. Good start CFL.

The thing is ORR, is that you should have supported the team, no matter who the owners were. You would still have a franchise if Ottawa fans showed that they wanted football there. As much as people want to blame the league and bad ownership, the fans showed that they didnt care if the team folded. It would have been a lot harder to fold the team if Ottawa had good crowds at Frank Clair, and it would have been easier for the Gliebs to sell the Renegades rather than suspend operations.

Without pointing a finger at any particular fan-or group of fans-I do have to wonder: what the heck is up with all this fan fickleness? I guess I don't understand why, if you have football in your city, you don't attend games? Living in Milwaukee, which is the largest metro area in the USA without either an NFL or NCAA D-1 football team, believe me, I -and many others like me- wish we had the option of supporting a team! C'mon, Ottawa! The only other game in town is the NHL, and the seasons don't overlap...all fans, everywhere, have to realize: big-time football is, first and foremest, a business...without regular customers, the business will die. I'd say to all sports fans, everywhere: take a lesson from Green Bay Packer fans-no matter how bad the team is, the stands are always full.

Stamps fans still supported the team during the Feteryk years, a bad owner isn’t a good excuse for not supporting the team. Even though Feteryk bought the team so that his son could play QB, the fans still came out to the games and supported THE TEAM, though they let the owner know that they didn’t like all the F-troop stupidity, the fans demanded that the owner do something to change the situation and he had to listen because they DID come and support the team, buying tickets to the games, etc.
I say that the fans need to support the TEAN first and if there’s problems with the owners, the fans have a legitimate threat of withholding support if things aren’t changed for the better.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not blaming the Ottawa situation on the fans, the league should have done better to bring in better owners in Ottawa (and in Calgary at the same time, when the team was sold to Feteryk). All I’m saying is that instead of with holding support for the new team until you’re convinced the ownership group is ok might not be the best approach. Show there is support for a team in Ottawa, come out and support the new team (whenever it gets re-established, 2007?) right off from the start and then you have the ability to change things if they need to be changed as the owners will have to listen to the fans if they threaten to withold the support they are aready giving.
Anyway, sorry for rambling on like this, hope they get a team in Ottawa and that the fans come out to support it.

well said Stamps and Steve