Moe Petrus

[url=http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-1/Tryout-Players-Get-Shot-to-Catch-On/18b11309-c0f7-4a2c-ae62-2aa8762e894d]http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article- ... a8762e894d[/url]

He's taking part in the Bucs mini-camp on a tryout basis.

[url=http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-1/Rookie-Camp-Leads-to-Roster-Maneuvers/459ddc70-bfef-434b-8f6c-5675593ff63e]http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article- ... 75593ff63e[/url]

Bad news for us, Moe Petrus has been offered a contract by the Buccaneers.

All that matters is what is good for him right now since it is his life and all. I guess you would prefer he make less money here?

All this obsessively following a Ticat drafted players trying to make it in the NFL and pretty much hoping they fail is very creepy. People need to worry about themselves more.

Would be a shame to see all those efforts and money wasted if the Tiger-Cats cant control the line of scrimmage.

Indeed. The talent Hamilton has assembled at receiver is scary. The situation on the O-line, on the other hand, is scary in another way, now that Petrus is not a part of the equation until September at the earliest (assuming he's cut). You could have Flutie, Simon, Stegall, and Cahoon catching passes and it wouldn't make a difference if the O-line wasn't able to give the quarterback time to get the ball away.

Great post.
I agree its real creepy, like almost stalker ish creepy...
Do you think we should let Moe know so he can look into a restraining order?
Damm I love it when you find the time to post on here :roll:

Well, hopefully OB and the coaching staff had a plan to go forward without Moe's services this season. You never know who might emerge in training camp.

And really, if our offensive line is really weak, would a rookie starter truly make that much of a difference? High draft picks sometimes don't pan out at the pro level. Remember Zac Carlson?

A good O-line is a complicated beast to set in motion. It's not just about raw talent IMO. You need the following:

Continuity. Rarely will an offensive line look good if too many of its members are playing together for the first time. Ideally, you want to always be rotating no more than two linemen (one is probably safer) into the starting rotation per season. Too much change en masse = QB sacks and the baby Jesus crying.

Athleticism at tackle. At the ends, where guys are frequently on islands against monstrous rush ends, you want your line's best athletes. Tackles need to sustain their blocks and not get bull-rushed into their own quarterback. Footwork has to be ace, particularly on the quarterback's blindside. An offensive tackle with bad footwork is going to make an enemy of his quarterback very quickly.

Intelligence at guard and center. The line's efficiency at protection depends on the center making the right protection calls at the line pre-snap. If he can't account for the pass rush / run-stopping, or if the guards don't communicate between themselves and the center to shift the protection from one side to another, your QB is usually eating the turf.

Range of age and experience. This goes back to continuity somewhat. Just as you never want your entire line to be composed of 35-year-olds, neither do you want a unit of mostly rookies or sophomores -- the former will get beaten by power, the latter by technique, stunting, procedure penalties, and nerves. Moreover, the more players of the same age, the more likely it is that you'll have to replace all of them at roughly the same time, which is never ideal.

Obviously, some of these requirements overlap into different positions on the line (e.g. a tackle can be intelligent in addition to be athletic, and vice-versa for guards and centers). But in general, I find that the best offensive lines are the ones that don't change much from year to year (they can change a lot over a span of years, but ideally not much over a single season).

So I decided to take a break from stalking Moe Petrus and instead start spying on Frederic Plesius. In doing so, I learned that he has try-out with the Philadelphia Eagles this weekend.

I like your analysis Discipline. The Als OL was rated among the top in the league last season.

I am concerned for ours this year, but I have faith that Obie and his scouts will find answers for us. Along with a cure for the DL and perhaps the secondary.

That's Halloway's moto. He'll set up anything and everything he can in the US then he willl drag things out and then he will start negotiating about 10 days before camp and he will drag it out to the very last minute.

I guess it is his job to get his clients the very best deal. But that's how Winnipeg ended up giving Muamba the highest rookie contract to a draft pick in decades (Halloway claims "ever") and he didn't even start for them. Labbe ended up playing more than Muamba and he's making a third of the money.

Well with HInds, Eiben and two Ni receivers starting. They could get away with two import tackles but the minute any of those four guys get injured, it gets real complicated.

We don't know how the NFL teams will use this extra ten men on their off-season roster. Petrus could be at McMaster sooner than later.

I like the idea of taking a risk with one or two draft picks each year. If they make the big show then good for them. However, chances are they'll be back in due time, maybe better for the experience.

Excuse me now as I'm going to spend the rest of my disposable internet time stalking the new president of France. Don't know a thing about him...yet.

After the last week, Hamilton's non-import depth is not a concern. They have Hage, Dyakowski and O'Neill on the o-line; Fantuz, Stala and potentially Giguère at receiver; Hinds in the secondary; and some one at defensive tackle, and for the sake of argument let's say that's Eddie Steele. That's eight potential starters right there, and you can still add in Kevin Eiben and Ray Mariuz at linebacker, and Darcy Brown at fullback. That doesn't include anyone who could step up during camp. I see Hamilton as one of the deeper teams when it comes to non-imports.

Let's say Hinds gets injured for example and you start Steele. That is two roster change. Very destabilizing. Can be done but you seldom win championships that way. Two injuries and it could be four roster changes... Does not take much.

First, you could say that about any team. Any injury to a non-import could hurt any team and result in multiple roster changes. It's not specific to Hamilton.

Secondly, if Hinds were to get hurt (and he did last season), the team could start Chris Rwabukamba (a 2010 draft pick). The reason they took him was to back up Hinds, and after a year as a backup he should be a guy they can use in a pinch.

Thirdly, Steele is penciled in as a starter with Hage, O'Neill, Dyakowski, Stala, Fantuz and Hinds. I'll repeat what I said above: you throw in guys like Eiben, Giguère, Mariuz and Brown, and if a non-import goes down, the Cats won't be in much trouble.

Swapping guys in and out happens every year, every week, every game; non-imports get hurt and team's have to adjust. Unlike last year, Hamilton is in a much better position to adjust. They have plenty of non-import talent. It's one of the areas the team doesn't have to worry about.

For the record, I thought Eddie Steele looked really good last year, and I figure he's a shoo-in for the starting line up.