Missing Sunday Football

Nice late summer day out here on the left coast. Hint of fall in the air with the coolness. Sure miss putting my feet up and watching a CFL game on TV. (Hint Hint)

2 Likes

Ambrosie was on the "2 and out" podcast and he indicated that Sunday games weren't in the cards because he didn't think it was fair to the players not to have that day to rest.

I don't agree with it but that's the stance they are seemingly taking.

1 Like

There were 5 CJFL games today. It's not the CFL, but better than nothing.

Next week, there's one USports game on Sunday: Carleton vs. Toronto.

2 Likes

2 more weeks.

I really like my Thursday games, but when they do end, as they always do this time of year, I would like to see that spot moved to Sunday. Instead right now we get double headers(& a triple :imp:) That Sunday day of rest is historically football day in the states.

2 Likes

Are you kidding me, a day off!! Get serious! What’s wrong with another day. I’m flabbergasted over that remark!!

2 Likes

YouTube I guess?

I think the commish must be just having fun and joking around .

1 Like

Looking back at it again, he was wishy washy and gave a political answer. Based on what I’m seeing here at 21:30, he seems to be leaning towards “no”. The lack of Sunday games in the recent past is another indication that the league doesn’t like them for whatever reasons.

2 Likes

If this is what that CFL 2.0 a few years was about as well, I would agree with him there. :smiley_cat:

Otherwise, I figure with a new media deal somehow there will be some Sunday games after Labour Day and before the Grey Cup again.

1 Like

That’s nice of him to put the blame on the players, as fans a lot of us love Sunday games, And there were a lot more fans going to games on Sundays, just look it up.

3 Likes

I’m on your side on this one. Most of the ratings decline is self inflicted

3 Likes

As he always does... Doesn't seem to bother football teams & players in the US, eh?

4 Likes

I think they all have PPV yaretv channels.

As CTV and TSN own the exclusive NFL rights in Canada
I think they would only be competing with themselves if they have CFL Sunday games at the same time
Hence it's Fridays and Saturdays after Labour Day until the playoffs

1 Like

I miss Sunday games. Still feel this is a TSN decision more than CFL.

3 Likes

Thanks for all your comments. I’m hoping Ambrosie was kinda being on the light hearted side with that comment. If I could wave my magic wand and poof I get what I want here’s my wish list.

1. Revisit Sunday games for at least a couple of seasons and then decide how did it affect attendance and tv ratings.
  2. Maybe I’m just showing my age but June is to early to start the season. At least move it to a Canada Day, full slate to kick the season off. I remember when it didn’t start till August and although in that day no one liked that weekend game followed by a Tuesday game either.
    (A bit of trivia - August 8, 1963 was the Lions first regular game of the season).

If I could turn back the clock on age and mobility I would gladly go to a game on Sunday rather then watch any other league on TV.

3 Likes

Hello All, this is totally a TSN decision. They need to placate their NFL patrons. I really hate watching a CFL game on TSN when they promo Sunday or Monday Night Football during the game, not sure which one it is.

3 Likes

using the player excuse .... not convinced ...

TSN doesn't like them .......

2 Likes

I think it is an opportunity missed not to explore some Sunday games. 4 pm eastern start is 2 o'clock start for most of the western provinces . do it up until labour day, then they can switch. TV numbers and gate should increase

3 Likes