Missing Moreno Yet OBie

Reading the Saskatchewan papers' interview of their Head Coach, it seems that they (Sask) was running QB draws because Hamilton was giving the middle away on seond and long...

That's the DC's fault, he's calling the plays.

I'm pretty tired of the three man front that has failed all season.

Agree we desparately need a remanning of the DLine. We do have some "keepers")

On the good side, we have a QB that the OLine will play for. The receivers are a youngish lot, but "BIG" and as such are rapidly improving.the kicker is the best, even if we are occaisionally burned by the big play on ST's...

Marcel is doing a good, if not great job at the HC position.

We have a first round draft choice who was injured in the preseason that will be back next year, and at least a couple first round picks in the next draft. We have a superb GM in OB who will make some of the deals.

Would Zeke have contributed to our team this year? Certainly, he has/had a work ethic, but I don't feel it would have resulted in enough wins to change our standings. Tough call, but thats why OB is making the big bucks.

On the other hand, who said I knew anything?

See you at the park on Friday, I have high hopes for this one...

Actually OB is making the big bucks because he promised a "Team that would compete". He didn't deliver. The team is as bad or worse then last year and Its mostly his fault.

Bad draft
No offers to Armour
Bad idea keeping Taffe
Bad hire Creehan
Bad idea to reneg on Armstead's contract
No big bodies, no NFL cuts of any meaning
Unable to sign Lumsden and Setta.
Moreno for NADA in the middle of a fight with TO and Winnipeg

Obilovich's been brutal and has proven he has no connections of any meaning.

Note : Rocky Swartz signing this afternoon. Moreno - gone and most definately forgotten.

Another interesting development is that incumbent Blue Bomber middle linebacker Barrin Simpson may be ready to return to action as soon as this Sunday according to tsn.ca:

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=11505

If this occurs, how long will the Bombers carry two starting middle linebackers on their active roster? Or will they eventually become inside linebackers in a 3-4 defence?

Really ? He's about 35 pounds short and probably 3" smaller in the collar.

Don't forget:

• No solidifying the D-line
  • No effort to improve the O-line
  • Actually thinking Tony Miles could be a go-to receiver

Thanks, it is hard to keep track :frowning:

So I guess you haven't been rooting for Quinton Porter, Tre Smith, Prechae Rodriguez, Darryl Adams, Geoff Tisdale, Chris Thompson, Markeith Knowlton, Scott Mitchell and Kenton Keith? Because those are a few names of players the man with meaningless connections has brought to town this season.

I don't know what some people expected? The team to magically be transformed in to a contender in one off-season?

Sure, the Moreno situation wasn't perfect, and it's the type of situation that only happens in the quirky and neighbourly CFL, but the defense was ranked 8th in the league last year with him on the team. So I don't know what the team is supposed to do? Start building the defense around a player who is over 30 years old and only in his second year in the league? Doesn't make a terribly large amount of sense to me.

It's kind of like the Kansas City Chiefs and Tony Gonzalez requesting a trade. I say this because by the time the Ticats are ready to compete on the next level, a player like Moreno, who is on the wrong side of 30, probably won't be the same player he was this year or last and might not even be around!

Sure I get it, he was a fan favourite, I was a big fan of his too. But in terms of the longevity of a football player, unfortunately Moreno came to the CFL a few years too late and to the Ticats at the wrong time.

So yes, the trade wasn't great, I'll admit that. But at least they got something in return for him when whole Tom Canada situation blew up in our collective faces. Who knows how good this Corey Mace might be. At least he has potential at 22 years of age, a Canadian passport, and is 6'3" and 294lbs. You can't teach those things.

• paul

I agree with Paullywood. At least someone around here sees the big picture.

This is hilariously sad. Tisdale and Mitchell are nothing special. Keith is Lumsden v.2, always injured. The rest are good players -- and Porter is a keeper -- but that does not offset the terrible moves Obie made this offseason. Justifying his brutal decisions in certain areas with decent moves he made in other areas is like arguing that the speed and efficiency of service in a restaurant should make the crappy food served taste better.

I don't know what some people expected? The team to magically be transformed in to a contender in one off-season?
Talk about a straw man. No one expected a magical transformation. What we did expect from someone with Obie's pedigree was an absence of brutal, wrong-headed blunders, combined with an ability to assess team needs and bring in personnel to address those needs. And he failed on both counts. He took a team strength -- linebacker -- and gutted it for no substantive return. He failed to provide talent to shore up the D-line and O-line, both known problem areas. He created an unstable situation by forcing a lame-duck head coach to accept assistants he hadn't hired; those assistants were also bad hires; then he fired the same head coach in the middle of the season.

Assessment of Obie's first year as GM: abysmal flop.

disciplineandpunish,

Can you please tell me how Geoff Tisdale is "nothing special". The guy has done nothing but impress in his limited time on the active roster... 30 tackles and 4 interceptions not to mention one taken back 62 yards for a TD and he did all this with only 8 starts... Your right he is "nothing special". :roll:

Kenton Keith... always injured??? he has sustained ONE injury while being here which was a complete freak accident. Keith is not even remotely close to Lumsden when it comes to being "always injured".

Other then those two points I agree with you, OBIE may not of helped this team right now but I will give him one thing, he DID bring in a lot of rookies that are keepers.

I am not going to get in to an argument with you or try to change your opinion because it's obvious you have already made up your mind.

All that I am trying to say is that there are a lot of positive things that have happened with the team this year with regards to player recruitment and player movement.

I said to my brother in May that if the Ticats cultivate a number one receiver out of the 10+ they brought to camp before the season, then it would be considered a success. And it looks like we have the potential of one with Prechae. And we all have seen what can happen when a defensive secondary is allowed to develop chemistry and continuity.

Sure there were some less than desirable events as well, but if the Ticats head in to this off-season having identified a starting quarterback of the present and future, a number of receivers and defensive backs who are only going to get better with experience, then the team is a lot further along than they have been at any point in the last 3+ seasons.

This stew of a football team is starting to have to right ingredients for once, it just needs a little seasoning that's all. Just a bit more beef and potatoes (the offensive and defensive lines) and soon we will be enjoying our stew on a nice fall afternoon in November!

I know people will jump down my throat for saying this word, but here it is:

Patience.

I know, I know, you've been patient for __ years now, but the current incarnation of the Ticats is approximately one year old in terms of the football operations staff. How about we give them a chance to be successful before we roast them on this website and in public. I know, it's not something Hamilton fans are used to.

• paul

[quote="paullywood"]

I know, I know, you've been patient for __ years now, but the current incarnation of the Ticats is approximately one year old in terms of the football operations staff. How about we give them a chance to be successful before we roast them on this website and in public. I know, it's not something Hamilton fans are used to.

• paul[/quote

Well Said! :thup:

We can't cry over spilled milk...or "what could have been". We are NOW on the RIGHT TRACK...so ...

SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE RIDE! :wink:

I think this team has a little Tampa Bay Devil Rays feeling to it. There's a solid nucleus being built here. They've got some good young energy and these guys seem like they're in this together. A couple smart off season moves a little luck with health I think we're good.

I know alot of you aren't happy unless you're complaining. Hopefully next year's an off year for ya.

I'm with my brother paullywood and the rest of the die hard eternal optomists.

We'll get 'em next year.

Go Cats!!

I`m with you guys all the way :thup: The Cats will be a force to reckon with next year!!!

Wow! 3-13, 1-5 since Bellefeuille took over and your telling people to sit back and enjoy the ride. I admire your optimism but the facts don't support that.

We actually have stepping stones in place. The last 2 years we have had 2 different directions. 2006 - veterans, 2007 - rookies. This year we have had a different direction, young players with experience. I think this has worked and our focus will be those young players and provide them with some veteran leadership.

The boat has set sail in the right direction. We just hope that the crew doesn't get thrown overboard before the mission is complete.

Let me get this straight. You're arguing against peoples optimism using an arguement about past record. That's not how it works. Some of us are looking forward.

Hope you aren't looking the wrong way when the band wagon comes rolling through next year. You might get run over.

Go Cats!

Okay, I'll grant you that Tisdale is a good pickup for the INTs. However, a DB with a lot of tackles is usually a DB who gets beaten a lot in coverage -- i.e. he's making the tackle because his assigned receiver has caught the ball. Tackles are a more unambiguously positive stat for linebackers and D-linemen.

Kenton Keith... always injured??? he has sustained [b]ONE[/b] injury while being here which was a complete freak accident. Keith is not even remotely close to Lumsden when it comes to being "always injured".
Fair enough.
Other then those two points I agree with you, OBIE may not of helped this team right now but I will give him one thing, he DID bring in a lot of rookies that are keepers.
That would be fine if he hadn't grossly blundered in other areas. The foundations of a team are the O-line and the D-line. And he did nothing to shore up the Cats in those areas. Without good lines, no team can win.