Milton Column On Hamilton Sports Group

Along with increasing the franchise's worth and building up the CSL and Forge wouldnt have been great if somebody said something about winning a Grey Cup ?

Edit:

1 Like

Interesting structure mentioned

By January, it was agreed that Stelco would purchase 40 per cent, Young would retain a fraction more than 40 per cent, Mitchell would own just under 20 per cent and be the company’s managing partner, and Lawson would take a minority interest.

There is a 60 per cent “threshold” required on major decisions, meaning that neither Young nor Stelco could prevail in those decisions without the voting support of Mitchell and Lawson.

It's a somewhat similar structure to MLSE. Bell is 37.5%, Rogers is 37.5% and Tannenbaum is 25%. Threshold there being 75% so the 2 larger parties must always agree....though to the detriment at times

Awesome

Even a cliche fan service "Cats fans are the best in the world they deserve something, something" would have been nice.

Umm...It's CPL, not CSL.

1 Like

I read the article and felt the question in the headline wasn't really answered. I'm still not sure what it means.

Would have been nice to have some insight as to why the parties wanted to buy in, and why now?

This looks to be more then a simple civic pride thing. They must see opportunity for growth and more opportunities.

What is that growth and what are those opportunities?

1 Like

Does it really matter?

1 Like

To me, it does.

2 Likes

NHL team long term?

2 Likes

MLS ?

This part, leaves me scatching my head:

"it was agreed that Stelco would purchase 40 per cent, Young would retain a fraction more than 40 per cent, Mitchell would own just under 20 per cent and be the company’s managing partner, and Lawson would take a minority interest."

If you take each part of that statement, literally, Mitchell and Lawson would have to, between them, hold 20%, to reach a "60% threshold" in a major issue vote, aligned with Stelco. If they have 20%, and Stelco has 40%, Caretaker couldn't have that "fraction above 40%."

You're never going to get that type of transparency from a Young led group.

2 Likes

What am I missing?

Young 40.5
Stelco 40
Mitchell 18.5
Lawson 1

Basically makes Mitchell/Lawson the 3rd party in a minority government.

1 Like

I dont think it's a much a long shot as it was in the 90s.

OVG group joined HUPEG and their development plans for the HECFI facilities.

There's an awful lot of interest and money being put into Hamilton sports properties the last few years.

I mean, Southern Ontario has to be getting a 2nd team at some point. To much population to not serve, too much money to be made via an expansion fee.

I also factor in the growing threat from basketball and soccer, more people are spending money on that. If the NHL doesn't re-engage with its biggest money making market in a significant way, the cash flow the NHL takes for granted may dry up.

I was stunned the Heritage Classic was in Hamilton as the NHL seems to have preferred in past years people forget Hamilton exists.

Despite what MLSE and Buffalo want, Betteman may tell them it's something the leauge wants.

With Copps fixed up, I could foresee Buffalo playing 5-10 games a year in Hamilton similar to the idea of Ottawa playing games in Quebec or the Rays splitting time with Montreal.

2 Likes

With stable ownership and a facility I don't think it's out of the question either

But youll get all the cryptic, flippant tweets you can handle.

What you're missing with your 40.5 - 40 -18.5 - 1 percentage of ownership breakdown is the possibility of Mitchell and Lawson voting with Stelco and, literally, meeting the 60% threshold requirement to defeat Caretaker in a major decision vote. The quote on that, from Milton's article:

"There is a 60 per cent “threshold” required on major decisions, meaning that neither Young nor Stelco could prevail in those decisions without the voting support of Mitchell and Lawson."

1 Like

Are we not saying the same thing?

No major decision can be made by Stelco or Young on their own.

So this Hamilton Sports Group made up of Stelco and Bob Young own and run the arena too? I thought it was just the Ticats/Forge.
Or are we going off topic here?

They have the master lease I believe. Which for all intents and purposes gives them the ability to book the venue.

I haven't spent too much time looking into that but that's how I understand it.