Milt on the Derick Armstrong soap opera....

MILT WEIGHS IN: Bomber Hall of Famer Milt Stegall offers his take on the Derick Armstrong soap opera:

"Derick might be out of a job. He might be asking me for a loan. I wish I could've been there because I would've told Derick 'Just go out and play the game and worry about what's happened after the game.' The CFL rosters are already short enough and... an import receiver is difficult to replace. Of course, I wasn't there. But it's a tough situation right now. I don't know what happened but you somewhat leave your team hanging and that's pretty difficult. Guys look at him differently. I don't know what the case was. But I wish I could sit down and talk to him. I don't know if they're going to release him or if they're going to try to trade him.
"Derick is still a talented player. I know he's got some concerns with his injuries right now. If I had a chance to talk to him, I'd just tell him to keep your cool and hopefully, get another opportunity to play and when you get that opportunity, take full advantage of it because when it's over, it's over and there's millions of people who would love to be doing what you're doing so be happy in whatever situation you're in, just go out there and just do what you can do."

Wonderful advice from the Best Ever.

Derrick may need to take a look at the CFL rules concerning the DI and realize that this was not a slight on him but a rational decision based upon a freak situation. If I was MK I would have made the same move. Derrick needs to make amends once he's been sat in the the corner long enough.

.....it's plain that Milt felt ,Armstrong totally goofed....too late now...as he will be moving along shortly.. :roll:

Papa, you are by far my fav Poster on this whole site. I wish I could blindly believe everything our coach and GM try to spew at us. You are a real fan. I just don't get how all of a sudden, after one (albeit huge) mistake, that you are this harsh on army. After 3 100 yard seasons I'm sure he should earn the benifit of the doubt I'm not sayin he shouldn't be punished. Keep him out of the team practices and workouts, don't dress him for a game. If army still comes to work with a me first attitude after all that, then adios amigo. Both Kelly and Armstrong were in the wrong and unfortunately in these situations, the coach is always right and the player has to suck rear to get back in good graces. I guess we shall see what kind of man army really is when this is all said and done. I have never heard of Derrick ever being this selfish player that this whole debacle has made him look. It was 1 game! Not a playoff game, not an important game in the standings since it's only week one right. If you can allow Kelly to make his owies and say " hey it's only week one" then why not for a guy like Armstrong? Unless you have proof of him being this cancer to the team before any of this happened.

....THANX stizzofoshizzo....i try to be fair in my comment....but am certainly biased to the BigBlue....Mad as hell with Armstrong at the moment....This is the guy who was supposed to lead this club by taking up the huge void left by Milt...I think he let this club down...Looking at it from Armstongs perspective he probably believes, that IF he was indeed going to be the replacement for Milt...he should never have been treated like a rookie by Kelly....and maybe he has a point ....HOWEVER...THE COACH IS ALWAYS RIGHT....I don't care if you disagree with him to the umpteenth degree...you are a paid professional (Derick) and you have to fullfill your role with the team when asked....Armstrong didn't do that....It matters not that Kelly may have handled this thing awkwardly..(he is also learning)..the ultimate point in this is ,that you perform for your team at your highest level ...always and anytime your asked....I don't believe that Armstrong is a cancer.. isn't/never was ..but he has made himself look like a malcontent when he was supposed to be just the' bloody' opposite...I'm miffed with the guy....Should he be given another chance...I think he was going to get that until he continued with his rant on Kelly the next day...Too late now....Irreparable damage has occurred....good luck to him in the future wherever he lands...he's a great football player... :cry:

Totally agree with this. We all liked the guy and this never had to happen and even had Derrick handled it well on Friday he could have stayed with the team.