miles and thomas cut; morant and quinnie signed

i think these were good trades and cuts, and i think that we will be seeing a bit of movement from our O-line in the next few weeks from some of the other linemen transactions to make sure we will have good depth for both running and passing games

Here is what I have to say about the players involved in these most recent transactions:

Miles: Quite a few people here saw this release coming from miles (no pun intended) away. It was about a year ago that the Ticats were the highest bidders for him when he was a free agent. And he turned out being a disappointment. When a player is overpaid and underperforming, that player will be on the way out. I'm not sure what'll be next for him though.

Thomas: Quite a few people here, myself included, were waiting for the day that "Turnstile" Thomas would no longer be considered needed by this team. Could this release be evidence evidence that Rob Murphy will be on the way here? This team has needed better tackles for a long time.

Quinnie: Now here's a name from the past. When he was here in '06, I thought he was not that bad on special teams. But will he be an improvement over Walker and Cohen on special teams? I do see that he has been doing well in the AFL and it'll be interesting to see how he does in his second chance here. And if the AFL hadn't suspended operations, would this signing have happened? In any case, welcome back Quinnie.

Morant: Not much to say about him. I do like this trend toward bringing in larger receivers though. You can click here to see that TD that Gil mentioned starting at 3:10 of this video. And bringing in two receivers after the release of Miles seems to make it unlikely that Flick will be coming back.

Great find with the video BYF!!

I do remember that play!....nice!

Can't say that I disagree with any of the recent player releases. I would also anticipate Rontarius Robinson being shifted back to defensive half or maybe to another team. He seemed lost at safety.Maybe with Marshall as coordinator,the Cats will revert to a Canadian at safety. :smiley:
Pat Lynch(the old guy in section 7)

I blame you, Tip. You jinxed poor Tony. :wink:

I’m very sad to see this day. The Miles trade has also been my least favourite move and I was so happy to have him back here. I’m sorry injuries limited things for Tony and I wish him all the best. He’s a total class act.

Great moves by Obie and Marcel. I suspect there are lots more to come before training camp.
I have never been so optimistic about a coming season or the future for a long time. :thup:

Thanks. After I read that description of the Morant TD, I thought that had to have been considered a highlight of that game. Therefore, it had to be in one of the videos on the CFL’s YouTube Channel that you can view if you click here. And it was only after viewing that video that I remembered seeing it on television as it happened. I remembered how I was disappointed at the time, seeing a blue team TD after it looked like it was going to be a pick instead. But now it is good to know this receiver who won’t easily let opposing players pick off passes intended for him is now with us. :slight_smile:

Something else I later noticed in that video involves another player recently signed by the team. About three minutes and 46 seconds into the video, you’ll see what actually was a pick thrown by Joseph that happened as Augie leapt forward to grab the tipped pass. I watched that over and over again. It was a good reminder of the effort that you can count on seeing from Augie. But I do hope he’s smartened up a little since that helmet-to-helmet hit on Glenn.

I totally understand why Miles was cut but when you consider how little he actually played in 08 his 450 yards isn't bad at all. His main issue is durability.. not talent.

The body can only take so much pounding and Tony reached his limit. I wished we could have had him back earlier. :frowning:

I think I like the moves. Don't want to get too entrenched in this 'tall receiver' bit though -- some of the best receivers this league has ever seen were nowhere near 6' 0. Alas, I'm liking the look of our corps.

Though, I do hesitate at any signing of a guy right out of the Arena League -- especially since he didn't exactly light it up when he was here before. That's a gimmicky brand of football and its hard to say how skills translate from playing in a phone booth versus the sprawling Canadian field.

Isn't this where we were last year with Woodcox and Miles. Before that with Armstead and French. Now here we are again recycling another teams castoffs.
I'm tired of mediocrity.
Are there no more PRods out there?

8) Hmmm, Try telling Kurt Warner about the Arena League being just a gimmicky brand of football !!!
  He sure seems to have ok jumping from Arena League to the NFL brand of football hasn't he ???       <!-- s:wink: -->:wink:<!-- s:wink: -->