Might as well give Frank D'Angelo a chance.

NO!NO!NO!

…these are all the same things that were said before the Gleibs tried their second stint at owning a CFL team and look at where that got us…seriously, I pasted in the names and voila, you have the same situation two years ago…and to counter your argument that poorly run team is better than no team at all you take that one to eight CFL owners that had ZERO risk this year from a non-existant Ottawa team and tell them that putting their profits at risk is better than not having their profits at risk…see how far you are flung out of the boardroom after that discussion (I’d offer a trajectory but I do not know your height/weight ratio)…

I wouldn’t put it past the drooling morons… I mean the CFL!!!

Still bitter in Ottawa!

Besides, if previous sport team ownership is a prerequisite, how is someone to get experience owning a team in the first place?

Braley owns the Leos, and has admitted that he doesn’t know how to run a team, so he hires people to do the job, and all he needs to do is sign the cheques.

....same with Hellard, this is the first pro sports team he has owned, btu the difference with Braley and Hellard is they surrounded themselves with qualified people who supported them.....who is supporting the beer king with actual football knowledge and how to run an entertainment business knowledge?....

Maybe Roy Shivers will show up it Ottawa.

Poor Ottawa!

Hey RedandWhite, outside of the CFL camp, who in this country has ever heard of the Glieberman's?

What commercials did the Glieberman's run during Hockey Night In Canada to promote their team to the largest sports audience in the country?

I suggest that for every person that has heard of the Glieberman's, there are probably 10-50, maybe more, that have heard of Frank D'Angelo.

I can't even recall what the Glieberman's look like.

The thing about letting Frank D'Angelo run the team, is that if the team goes down, HE goes down, because his name and his tv personality will be part of the brand.

Don't you think that this will force him to work that much harder to ensure the team's success?

To compare the marketting plan that the Glieberman's executed to the one that D'Angelo will no doubt put forth is asinine.

If nothing else, D'Angelo will put the Ottawa team on the map and on the radar; the rest is up to the fans in Ottawa.

....I'll give the fact that De'Angelo has a lot more riding on this venture than the Gleibs....and while he may be well known in the ottawa valley thats about where his worth as a shuckster ends....I just don't see this working....hopefully for you guys it does and you get your team back....but your last statement says alot....."the rest is up to the fans"....the same fans that bailed on the previous two teams for no reason than to drive out the current owner....so when things go a little south for Frank, what do you think the fans will do this time round?....

I like Frank his personality and especially not being camera shy. That's what we need more of in the CFL, outgoing kind that will take chances at PR and are willing to put down their money.
And not like the recent collapse of the GG group, who as it turns out was not really financially viable. Not having the cabbage to pay the franchise fee of $3.5M instead deferring over seven years with the league crediting the TV fees and other HO sponsorship. Like the Watters group.
Same thing cannot be said about Frank and like some of you guys have correctly stated, Frank has alot more to loose then the Gleiberguys etc.
With the right management ground to include Jeff Hunt as Pesident this will work.

I still really, really, really, really hate the idea of naming the team AFTER a beer. THAT will get the "bush-league" CFL detractors out of the woodwork. And the fact that it would be the Ottawa Steelback (non-plural) just makes it worse.

The good thing about him being outgoing is it may help publicity. The bad thing is that he may try and run the whole operation himself. I think an owner should sit back, sign the cheques, and let others take care of it all. Owners, IMO, should keep as low a profile as possible ... the successful ones seem to.

I believe Frank's changed his mind about calling the team Steelback.
Personally I liked the name until I realized it was also the name of his beer. I'm not so sure that he'd be a horrible owner and I don't think the Glieberman comparison's are fair.

As others have stated, he has a lot to gain and lose with this franchise, unlike Bernie. So I believe he's gonna work hard to make it successful.

I wouldn't assume that he would take the same marketing approach with the football team that he does with his beer. Best of luck to him if he gets it.

The fans though will be juiced at the games, maybe not on the beer which he has to watch how he markets, especially to young kids, but he can practically do anything he wants with his energy drink Cheetah who most probably feel that this drink doesn't pose a problem health wise for anyone. The fans could be very loud - Go Cheetahs Go. :slight_smile:

Okay then, give him the Argos to run and Ottawa will take the Argos current owner!.. Yeah, I didn’t think you’ d like that idea. :roll:

Say what? We bailed on the team to drive the owners out??? What are you smokin’! With the exception of the season ticket holders, myself included, I would say the fans bailed for lack of a good football team! Rather, I should say that they bailed for the lack of hope for a good football team! That’s all you need to survive: hope! If there is none, be it due to mismanagement, budget restrictions, poor coaching, silly promotions, then the fans ain’t gonna pay!

As an example, I would suggest, in my own humble yet bitter and twisted opinion, that the honeymoon will be over for Bob Young and the Ti-cats if they don’t turn things around on the football field and give their fans a glimmer of hope that they will be a moderately successful football team. Clean washrooms and a renovated stadium will only get you so far!

Still bitter in Ottawa.

Go Gades Go in 08!

If the CFL decides to go with DeAngelo, they might as well get going next year as his group had indicated they wanted to start in 2007.

Why should the decision be up to the BOG, they have failed miserably on two occassions now, do you really want to trust their judgement again.

It should be up to the fans in Ottawa to decide whether or not this guy is the right man to own the team, then at least they would have no one else to blame but themselves if it goes into the crapper again.

Get a commitment of season ticket sales to test the water first, if they cant sell at least 18,000, then move onto the next guy, otherwise we are going to be waiting a very long time to find Mr Right.

Maybe he'll put the players "likeness" on the cans. Just like Football Cards.

Hey Red, I'll trade you two cans of Geroy Simon for a Jeffrey Reynolds and Sandro D'Angelas can,

Burp,

Hey Papa, Trade you Dante Marsh can for a Neil McKinley Can,

Burp

Hey Hello there Trade you a Dickenson Can, Pierce Can for A Damon Allen can.

Sportsmen now passes out from drinking his CFL beer can players.....ZZzzzzzzzz

That would be a great way to promote the game sporty, the only thing I get in a case of beer these days is NFL T-shirt, why is that....

I think the CFL could gain a LOT by arranging an agreement with a beer company to give away CFL merchandise. You can get free NFL merchandise easily ... it should be the same with the CFL up here!

But it would be a great idea to put players on cans. I know Ron Rooke has taken over publicizing CFL players ... and he did a great job with the Stamps. Hopefully starting next year, we see a lot more of CFL players.