Midseason All-CFL Team

Since it's Week 10, I thought it would be a good time to put together a midseason All-CFL team:

Offence

QB Dave Dickenson, B.C.
RB Robert Edwards, Montreal
WR Jason Armstead, Saskatchewan
SB Geroy Simon, B.C.
SB Jason Tucker, Edmonton
LT Rob Murphy, B.C.
LG Paul Lambert, Montreal
C Ibrahim Khan, Winnipeg
RG Scott Flory, Montreal
RT Jeff Pilon, Calgary
SB Milt Stegall, Winnipeg
WR Matt Dominguez, Saskatchewan

Defence

DE Brent Johnson, B.C.
DT Ron Warner, Winnipeg
DT Doug Brown, Winnipeg
DE Fred Perry, Saskatchewan
OLB Kevin Eiben, Toronto
MLB Barrin Simpson, Winnipeg
OLB Otis Floyd, B.C.
CB Coby Rhinehart, Calgary
HB Ricky Bell, Montreal
S Barron Miles, B.C.
HB Tay Cody, Hamilton
CB Jordon Younger, Toronto

Special Teams

K Sandro DeAngelis, Calgary
P Noel Prefontaine, Toronto
PR/KR Dominique Dorsey, Saskatchewan
ST Etienne Boulay, Montreal

Feel free to comment and/or post your own midseason All-CFL team.

Looking good mbw. Tay Cody has been one of Hamilton's few bright spots this year. Definitely gets my vote!

Could you explain how you came about each choice please?

Defence

DE Brent Johnson, B.C.
DT Ron Warner, Winnipeg
DT Doug Brown, Winnipeg
DE Fred Perry, Saskatchewan
OLB Kevin Eiben, Toronto
MLB Barrin Simpson, Winnipeg
OLB Otis Floyd, B.C.
CB Coby Rhinehart, Calgary
HB Ricky Bell, Montreal
S Barron Miles, B.C.
HB Tay Cody, Hamilton
CB Jordon Younger, Toronto

Special Teams

K Sandro DeAngelis, Calgary
P Noel Prefontaine, Toronto
PR/KR Dominique Dorsey, Saskatchewan
ST Etienne Boulay, Montreal

Some of these are soooo wrong.
Barely any Als here and the ones there are wrong.
Robert Edwards and not Reynolds! Just cause Edwards scores lots of TDs at the goalline doesn't mean he's better that a 7yard average rushing leader.
Ricky Bell??
Check out the stats leaders to get a good list going.

Quarterback: Dave Dickenson (BC)
Running Back: Joffrey Reynolds (CAL)
Slotbacks: Milt Stegall (WPG), Geroy Simon (BC)
Wide Receivers: Jason Tucker (EDM), Nik Lewis (CAL)
Left Tackle: Uzooma Okeke (MTL)
Left Guard: Paul Lambert (MTL)
Centre: Ibrahim Khan (WPG)
Right Guard: Scott Flory (MTL)
Right Tackle: Gene Makowsky (SSK)

Defensive End: Brent Johnson (BC)
Defensive Tackle: Ron Warner (WPG)
Defensive Tackle: Doug Brown (WPG)
Defensive End: Anwar Stewart (MTL)
Outside Linebackers: Tim Strickland (MTL), Brian Clark (CAL)
Middle Linebacker: Barrin Simpson (WPG)
Cornerbacks: Jordan Younger (TOR), Jason Goss (HAM)
Halfbacks: Tay Cody (HAM), Anthony Marlbrough (WPG)
Safety: Barron Miles (BC)

Punter: Noel Prefontaine (TOR)
Placekicker: Sandro DeAngelis (CAL)
Kick Returner: Dominique Dorsey (SSK)

D&P is pretty good.
I'd liek to see Cahoon for some props :smiley:
I might think of adding Perry instead of Stewart but I'm an Als fan, so maybe not.
Strickland not sure though.
I'd add Rhinehart and Hunt maybe somewhere if they fit.
Punter and kicker.. Calgary, G-D they're good! But Prefontaine is always going to be there :smiley:

Marty, take your medicine.

Robert Edwards is on pace to break the record for most TDs in a single season. He's not just getting the ball with one yard to go. He works for his yardage and made the most impressive catches of the Montreal squad so far this season.

Joffrey Reynolds is ahead in yards, but:

1. He has 176 yards more than Edwards, but Edwards has a game in hand.

2. Edwards already played the tremendous Winnipeg rushing defence twice, while Reynolds has yet to face it.

3. The second best rushing defence in the league is that of Montreal, and Edwards won't have to play against it.

4. Edwards did fumble twice in the last game, but that bring his CFL fumbles total to 3 in his career, while Reynolds has already five on the season.

My point is not that Edwards is necessarily better than Reynolds, but you just can't discard him like you did.

He's a major playmaker.

MartyMix: Just wanted to clarify two things.

1. Edwards over Reynolds: When I look at Reynolds, I see a guy who churns up a lot of yardage between the 20s, but who sort of breaks down as a threat in the redzone. Now, a lot of this probably can be attributed to Calgary's play calling. But still, I like to reward a guy like Edwards, who is bona fide in the scoring zone (both rushing and receiving) and who has accounted for over 5 times more scores than Reynolds.
  1. re: Ricky Bell. When grading HBs, statistics like tackles, interceptions, etc. are the last things I look at. When a halfback has a high number of tackles, it tells me that he's seeing a lot of passes thrown in his direction, which also tells me that the opposition's coaches think that he's a coverage liability. Ricky Bell lines up on the weak-side and is almost always locked in man-to-man coverage against a slotback. The fact that he has a low number of tackles means that few passes are coming his way, which is indicative of the respect he gets. Basically, he shuts down one of the slotbacks. I've only seen Bell beaten really badly once this season, and that was by Jason Tucker--not too shabby a slotback.

Conversely, you have a guy like Lions' HB Mark Washington, who racks up a lot of tackles. But this simply tells me that Washington gets a lot of passes thrown his way and doesn't get a lot of respect in the filmroom.

Boyz :smiley:
Don't get me wrong, I love Edwards (and of course my Als!!) but Roberts and Reynolds are better RBs. I tape the games to watch them run and break tackles. Even Ranek is better (maybe not this year but 2 weeks ago, he went WILD!). Edwards is getting the rock in the air too. And yeah he is going far for TDs this year, but he's running them inside the 5 all the time, why not right.

I love Edwards, but in my mind he's not the best RB right now. Sorry :smiley:

and while we are at it ... front office...

owners... if any new owners for ottawa show up i give it to them,
gm, taman for this past offseason although backup qbs was a failing overall very positive changes.
head coach... hmmm, tempted with berry but matthews and buono.... i go buono although i am sure people will fight that choice.

oc... paopao... oh wait no that was wrong. rljr... no that is very very wrong and apparently he is not officially the oc. i will give it to... chapdelaine. dc ritchie i got a soft spot for him. cheerleadering team... i like wpgs new unis so i will give it to them but i know people won't like that pick but seeing as they are too cheap to post pictures we will never be able to compare.

i just realized i seem to have a thing for the bc coaching staff. maybe i should pick bc's gm....

For coaches:

Most entertaining: The Don.
Most classy: Pinball.
Most diplomatic: "Flanders" Higgins.
Most versatile: Buono.
Best Dancing Fairy: ...

Coaches:

Head Coach: Don Matthews
Offensive Coordinator: Jacques Chapdelaine
Defensive Coordinator: Dave Ritchie
Special Teams: Noel Thorpe

This is a good one!

That's pretty good but I'd take Perry over Stewart, Perry has 8 sacks to 3 and 22 tackles to 18. Perry is playing unbelievable right now.

I'd also say Dales and Prefontaine are a toss up. Dales barely leads in the avg category but also kicks outdoors, where it can be a bit tougher.

Other than that I'd say Reynolds and Edwards are pretty close. Edwards gets in the endzone a lot more but Reynolds is running for a full yard more per run which, imo is to much to give Edwards the nod.

Not a bad list but Jason Goss is not a corner, he's a HB.

No argument there, Perry is playing very well. However, sacks don't always tell the whole story. Stewart has been a demon this year on the end, considering the range of what he's expected to do on any given play: pass rush, stop the run, drop into pass coverage. He's beating O-linemen with quickness, moves, and determination. Stewart also has an INT returned for a touchdown and just always seems to be around the ball. I guess it's a tossup.

Edit: If Goss is a halfback, then I'd move him inside and put Stanford Samuel on the corner. But DBs switch so often between halfback and corner due to injury that I don't see it being a big deal.