Michael O'Connor

Where is he from, Orleans,Ont? Is that in Ottawa’s, Toronto, or hamilton territory?
If so, would he be eligible for the extra draft pick the Argos are getting? Why not use the extra pick the CFL recently gave them for a possible future QB.

In the Past, top Usport QB’s in the draft, what is the highest they have been drafted? I am guessing 4th round?

I believe he is getting interest from the NFL, not for what he did at UBC, he is getting interest because he went to Penn State prior to UBC. And prior to that he went to US high schools and colleges.

O’Connor was born in Orleans, ON, meaning he’s within Ottawa’s territory. I’d like to see him go to Calgary purely from a development standpoint. If Dickenson and company can do for him what they were doing for Andrew Buckley, that would be awesome.

Russ Jackson was drafted 6th overall in 1958. I’m not sure if that’s the highest, but he’s obviously the most prominent. In 1970, Wayne Holm out of SFU (NAIA at the time) was drafted first overall as a quarterback, but was converted to defensive back.

As for O’Connor’s NFL chances, he would be a major project since he didn’t actually play in the NCAA. I’m hoping for the best for him, but getting an NFL mini-camp invite isn’t much of big deal.

I don’t think it will hurt his stock. It is just a camp invite and not a UDFA contract.

Imagine a team playing two Canadian pivots.

First dream, then live it.

Interesting that O’Conner went in the second round. He might get a decent shot in Toronto. It might bring some Ontario media interest that they have two Ontario QBs there. At the end of the day I expect that Franklin will emerge as #1. With BB as #2. And O’Conner #3. But imo O’Conner will be the guy there in two years if not sooner. Much stronger football IQ and a way better touch than BB imo.

Popp and UBC HC Blake Nill have history and you can bet there were lots of discussions between them.

A Canadian starting qb that does well in the CFL is big news in the football community in Canada, that’s for sure. It’s just something that most people who follow Canadian football would love to see I would assume.

Now is the time in the new CBA to add a Canadian QB position on the main roster, in effect have a 3rd or 4th QB.
But some will say, heck there are not enough in the CIS. Of course there are, 27 Universities play and on each team there are 3 QB.
What better way than to develop a top notch and ultimately first string player…heck maybe O’Connor will be one of those despite the odds and rules stacked against him.
I am glad my Argos took a chance on him.
Just like Calgary did a few years ago before they lost Andrew Buckley to medical school.

That’s a big issue though when you have a qb, well any player for that matter, that is a sharp cookie which has an option of a life-long career that pays very well. Tough to compete with that one. Medical school or CFL, I think I know which one I’d choose if I had to make a choice, as much as I would love playing in the CFL.

Like to see O’Connor in Ottawa .

The QB position is wide open here but I think JC as OC and QB coach in TO maybe good for O’Connor until Ottawa’s coaching gets settled .

He had a good debut .

Not in for long but threw a touch down and was 4 for 5 passing .

I like his comment about the CFL and being tense .

He has moxie and good push back I love it .

He basically said :

He has been playing the Canadian game for 4 years so it’s not like he is not prepared .

Yeah he is absolutely capable of being an eventual starting QB in the CFL imo.

He will definitely make that roster. I think he will be #3.

We all assume that Brandon Bridge will be amongst the Argos 3 QB’s.

If Michael O’Connor is number 3, who will be out amongst McLeod Bethel-Thompson and James Franklin?

Richard

MBT will be out. He’s better than Franklin or Bridge, but he was Trestman’s guy, which I believe means he has a bullseye on his jersey with the MLSE. Would be a good option for Montreal as a starter or BC as a number two, since Reilly is unlikely to finish the season and neither Lloyd nor Yabadaba (yeah, I know that’s not really his name) are capable backups.

Reilly started every game last year. I guess you’re saying he’s due for an injury?

That’s a good point though. None of the BC backups looked great, although Lloyd looked good last year. I don’t know enough about Apodaca or Sears, only that their stats look pretty bad. Toronto has an abundance of backups and those that are cut could find their way there.

Reilly is, hands down, one of the toughest quarterbacks ever to strap on a helmet. I don’t know if he’s “due” for an injury, but every pivot has to face it.

However in BC, he won’t have the line he had in Edmonton. Everyone talks about Lulay’s injury problems. It wasn’t just Lulay. The BC line wasn’t great, and I don’t see big improvements this year.

So yeah, the Lions better start QB shopping.

Not worried about the O-line this year. Excited about the addition of Bryan Chiu to replace Dorazio from whom we just did not see results, no matter who played on that line. Great FA addition in Sukh Chungh. He and Figueroa are all-stars. Canadian depth along the line is deep too.

I hope you’re right. For Reilly’s sake.

OT - but the Argos have released Noah Picton

If Chamblin wants at least 1 Canadian on the roster then O'Connor's chances greatly improved.

Just him and Bridge though I can see both making it.

Riders could give him a look see and put him on the practice roster .

He is comfortable in that stadium .

Yeah…his OL is actually probably better than last season.