Metric/English

I don't adapt well to change (See previous posts...LOL) My opinion is if it ain't broke don't fix it. So if they change from yards to metres, please do it AFTER I pass away!

Being that Canada is such a compromising nation, the CFL uses "metric yards". As a result, we end up with a playing suface slightly longer and wider than our American neighbors. :wink:

Seiously, we are so closely linked to the U.S., unless we both change completely, football fields will always be measured in yards. Players will always be 6 feet tall and weigh 200 pounds.

And as much as we like to think we are a metric nation, we're far from it. Construction industry uses both, grocery stores post weights in both, etc. etc....

Yes a nice tidy little package…unlike the US which is a big knotted shoelace :cry:

I'm Taking A Construction Course And Very Little Is Actually Done In Metric, As Much As They Try To Teach Us To Use SI, A 2"x4" Will Never Be Referred To As A 38x89. As Long As The Industry Is Conprised Of Mostly Old Timers Like Sportsmen And The Major Importer Of Lumber Is The States We'll Always Use Imperial.

why doesnt anyone go to Kelvin, its much more logical comsidering all science uses it.

People don't use Kelvin because people have become accutomed to celsius in Canada. They know that 30 degrees celsius is warm but don't know 303.15 kelvin means the same thing. They also don't know 233.15 kelvin is very cold. It's like asking why don't people in the U.S. use degrees rankin.

its not that hard, just C plus 273.15

well C to F is not that hard either

XdegC x 5/8 + 32

Well maybe not :lol:

either way, it really doesnt matter, all i care, is it hot, is it cold...and i can tell that by walking outside, for predictions they are wrong half the time anyway.

To be honest I dont care either. I am just the right age to have learned both in school. As far as I know older folks only learned imperial and the younger ones only metric.

In science, half the time you don't need to convert to Kelvin. Since a change in degrees celsius is the same as a change in Kelvin (it's not degrees Kelvin; just Kelvin), if you ever see a temperature difference you'll get the same number whether you use celsius or Kelvin (1K = 1 deg. C).
Granted, in the middle of an exam you tend to forget this fact, and many others, and waste time for yourself ...

Going off topic a lot with temperature. Our football fields do not expand with heat so we don't need to discuss temperature. I love metric because it's so easy to do calcuations. However, we don't measure fractions of a yard, so we don't need the convenience of metric. Let's just keep it in yards.

Here's an idea, 9 meters is about 10 yards (9.84 yards). Someone talked about having to go 10 meters in 4 downs. Why can't they go 9 meters in the same 3 downs? The game don't have to change. In fact, I change my vote. They should do this. Why not go 9 meters in 3 downs???

Well I want to thank everyone for explaining my question for me (seriously!) But everyone's right! Lets just keep it Yards.