Medlock's status

This makes sense, Medlock is good, I'm surprised he hasn't had more NFL interest.

What's the story on Warren Kean? He was in camp with Calgary after failed attempts to crack the lineup in Edmonton and Winnipeg.

red24

Still a Free Agent But Tired to catch on with Edmonton Winnipeg then CalgaryI

Don’t think he is the Answer as a Punter

I think it has become quite apparent that the TiCats need a kicker and a punter. I would hope that Obie is
seriously exploring this situation .

How about Duncan O’Mahony? I know he had a mysterious disappearance on the way to training camp one year, but that was in 2006. He was signed again by the Bombers in 2008, went to training camp and apparently didn’t make the team. Anybody know anything?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/30054-blue-bombers-sign-kicker-duncan-omahony

red24

The Riders did release Sakoda. But here’s why:

Net Punting Name Team No. Net Yards Avg
KUALE, E TOR 1 64 64.0
RENAUD, M WPG 22 962 43.7
SCHIAVONE, D EDM 4 167 41.8
DUVAL, D MTL 24 980 40.8
SERNA, A WPG 9 350 38.9
JOHNSON, E SSK 9 343 38.1
PREFONTAINE, N EDM 31 1174 37.9
MCCALLUM, P BC 42 1568 37.3
PALARDY, J HAM 27 968 35.9
BOREHAM, J TOR 31 1083 34.9
DALES, B CGY 30 1030 34.3
CONGI, L SSK 2 67 33.5
SAKODA, L SSK 15 435 29.0

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/statistics/league/stat/Netpunting/year/2010]http://www.cfl.ca/statistics/league/sta ... /year/2010[/url]

That’s right. Sakoda’s net punting average is the worst in the league.

The Riders had a problem with punting and solved it by in Eddie Johnson. There are those who might wonder why we did not do this, and let the Riders beat us to bringing him in. But Sakoda is an import, and so they were able to replace one import with another without any ratio issues.

As for Kean, I understand that he did not do well at punting or placekicking when the Stamps gave him a chance.

And I find it interesting that DeAngelis is punting at practice. I was under the impression that Stala was considered the second-best punter on the roster. I still find it amusing how at 1-4, we don’t have a QB controversy, but instead appear to have a punter controversy.

When you think about it, all other aspects of our team are playing well.It’s the field position and blocked punts that are murdering us.

The Carolina Panthers announced the signing of former UCLA Bruin & NFL Journymen Place Kicker Justin Medlock on Monday Afternoon.

The Panthers had orginally planned to pin their kicking hopes on Rookie Kicker Todd Carter [out of Grand Valley State] however as teams took the field for opening week of camp yesterday Carter tore his Hamstring in a routine kicking drill & is expected to miss 6-8 weeks.

Medlock spend last season with the Toronto Argonaunts of the Canadian Football league taking over the spot created by the retirement of former NFL Kicker Mike Vanderjagt, where he quickly become among the best in the league at his position. A good enough Job to earn him a future contract with the NFL's Washington Redskins. On June 14th Medlock was waived by the Redskins & later claimed by the Detroit Lions, [another team that was had strong intrest in Medlock prior to Justin signing in Washington] but was waived by the Lions just 14 days later.

Medlock played at the ULCA University converting on 70 of 88 FG attempts [79%] & was a 5th RD selection of the Kansas City Cheifs in 2007 160th Overall. Medlock's NFL Experience is short, having only attempted 2FG, converting on one from 27yards & Missing one from 30Yards in week 1 of the 2007 Season.

We’re not blaming the kickers for not scoring touchdowns. We’re blaming Palardy for poor punting which provides the opposing team with excellent field position. In the game against the Riders, the Riders average starting point on the field was something like their own 42 or 48 yard line. As for your other statements…yes…alot of us agree that maybe the Cats weren’t as good as everyone was proclaiming or that they did let it go to their heads. As for where’s Bruce and Cobb? Well, unless you’ve been living under a rock this past week…you should know about Arland’s exceptional game. Cobb? we saw signs of his game getting better but alot of us are still unsure about him. And as for Glenn getting pulled in two of four games, I can only recall him being pulled in one (although my memory isn’t what it used to be) and he was pulled for his own safety. That was the first game where the Bombers racked up seven sacks due to our poor O-line. Rottier was schooled in that game but again…adjustments have been made and the O line has protected Glenn quite well since.

I agree with a poster in another thread on this board concerning Palardy. I am perplexed by the decision by Bob O’Billovich and/or Marcel Bellefeuille to continue to place the punting duties on this team in the hands of a struggling rookie. Field position is critical to team success and field position is directly related to punting accuracy, length and efficiency. “Learning on the job” at that position is not an option for a team that hopes to challenge for a berth in the Grey Cup.
Perhaps the team is commited to a non-import at that position and they feel Palardy is the best available. If so, the team needs to rethink that strategy and deal with their punting problems sooner rather than later IMO.