Media's double standards on CFL and MLS

To be fair maybe MLS is a big thing out east but I haven't heard one thing about the MLS final on the street no one ever talks about the MLS final period. Guess its a Toronto thing. Saw Seattle won it good for them, saw a quick hilight of the score on the news nothing like the attention the Grey Cup got a couple weeks ago. Guess if your looking for it you will find it but I find way more attention on other sports.

I think it shows MLS is largely only followed in the home markets and there is not much of national appeal. TFC was heavily covered in the city and really pushed by TSN leading up to the game on Saturday. Lots came out of the woodwork follow the past games are two and won’t give it much of a thought next year until playoff time should they make it.

Usually Bell (or whoever would broadcast a given game), would come out with a big media release if numbers we’re good but nothing record shattering. For the 2nd leg of the East Final it came out less than 24 hours later. Now pushing 48 and so far nothing. If nothing, then loss of Montreal market would cause a big drop from a couple weeks ago making the numbers good but not great.

Bell did come out with a press release with 1.5 million viewers overall the average on TSN and RDS.

1.42 million viewers on TSN for the game - obviously a new MLS record for them by about half a million.

RDS averaged 92,000.

Audience peaked during the penalty kicks at 2.7 million with 4.2 million total Canadians having watched some of the game. The game had a 35% share of all TV's turned on Saturday night in the Toronto market.

[url=http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/toronto-fc-breaks-all-time-audience-record-yet-again-with-1-5-million-viewers-tuning-in-to-the-mls-cup-2016-on-tsn-and-rds/]http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/toront ... n-and-rds/[/url]

And as mentioned before those numbers do not include anybody in Canada who watched on FOX.

Not bad numbers. Exceeded my expectations. It will be interesting to see how their viewership increases next year... it will be very telling to see what impact the playoffs and cup final have on soccer fans, and moreso how popular TFC has actually become.

Looked like an awesome atmosphere at the game, would have been a lot of fun to attend.

A side note... is it just me that finds that the English accent reports and playby play is annoying, as if they are trying to sell the entire soccer experience from Europe?? As if they were trying too hard... I found that it was refreshing to hear a Canadian speak about the game or interview.

I wish Argos fans had have the passion of TFC fans. :frowning:

I'd say CFL fans in general, not just Argo fans. The Riders are probably the only org that rivals the TFC fan crowd... my take on it tho is the fans literally have to entertain themselves, by jumping, and singing, and clapping in unison, to make the event, or game, exciting... the football game is what makes CFL entertaining, the rowdy crowd seems to be what makes the soccer entertaining... that's just my take!

This was a perfect storm, a one off scenario.
Anyone seeing this game for the first time will not come back.
It was boring with a capital B, on top of which the quality was horrid 5th division caliber.
Regardless of the kool aid offered by Rogers media and TSN to a degree, the TFC numbers will return to the 20k range like this year.

Yep, Chris Zelkovich tweeted the MLS Whitecaps averaged 62,000 viewers, while the Canucks are drawing 275,000 this year and the Lions 684,000. It was reported TFC averaged 38,000 viewers during the reg. season.

The 2015 Grey Cup drew over 4 million viewers while last year’s MLS Cup drew 87,000 viewers, both on TSN. Having TFC in the game this year obviously drew more interest but the MLS lost most of their francophone viewers, whom I guess were more Impact fans than MLS fans.

Much of Canada’s media gave the MLS Cup much more in-depth coverage than the Grey Cup this year, despite the Grey Cup drawing 2 or 3 times more viewers across Canada. Recent national surveys show the CFL is followed closely by 2 to 3 times more Canadians than the MLS.

The actual games were no comparison. The soccer game was a complete bore-fest with the winning team not even registering a shot on goal…while the Grey Cup was one of the most exciting games ever, with a huge comeback, tying the game in the final minute, then overtime. I know which kind of “futbol” I’ll be watching next year! :thup:

No, that’s not true either. I encourage you to do some research because you keep saying one incorrect thing after another. TFC was profitable right out of the gate from day 1. They only allegedly, and the reason I say this is because it was most likely made to look that way due to the labour negations that happened a couple years back, took a loss when they got Gio, Altidore and Bradley all on the same payroll. So essentially, the first 6 seasons they were profitable. MLSE isn’t concerned with making TFC profitable though. They already know how to do that based on the club’s history of being profitable up until recently. They’re concerned about growing the brand and the investment, and if that means taking a loss for now, they’ll eat it.

TSN is still dropping MLS next year ... apparently the league is crawling to cbc to stay off cable-access

S mom I am sure you want to defend the Red . You don't need to I agree they are a hit with people coming to the ball park .

You keep missing my ongoing point MLSE deep deep pockets set the table for the success . They paid the less 20 million from the city and produced a Soccer Specific Stadium for the fans of Soccer . So lets say 40 million . They paid 10 million for the franchise . They received good crowds better than they expected however the on field product was starting to kill interest .

They opened their wallets and addressed two needs a roof for rainy days and some very expensive players .

It has paid off .

Now saying that the new investment even with the great crowds will need some pretty good pay days to sustain the 23 million salary and pay for the expensive roof / expansion .

Remember MLSE is on the hook for this only 10 million came from the city . So they got a few more pay days less rogers for the Argos and the Leafs classic who are MLSE .

They have a brand yes and there franchise value has exploded but if they do not watch their home they could and I do me could face a challenge from the CPL if it is done right as it will have a more Canadian appeal coast to coast which maybe the David facing goliath and winning .

If you are a Canadian and the soccer is on par where do you think the fans , the sponsors etc.. are going to flock . If they make the CPL a feeder league the CPL is doomed . If not they do have a chance with modest budgets to do the unthinkable and kick an American leagues ass out of our country .

If I was Bell and LT I would sell their interest in TFC to Rogers alone . I would then set up a new Toronto franchise with my CFL brothers and have a new Canadian League with TSN televising the new CPL with hopefully a full compliment of Canadian talent and Canadian cities at a much more modest price with a larger Canadian Payday .

Sports in the states is fractured and saturated and the MLS will have a hard time getting the major dollars that a Forbes evaluates them at . You can’t run a league with one team with 3.5 million salary and another with 23 million without some drop off in fan turn off especially when the league pays off the European contract for the team who gets the star player .

I would do it slightly different.

Have Bell and TL buy out Rogers share in TFC and the operating rights in BMO. This would make the Argos and TFC a 1 and 1A situation and can cross promote the 2 brands better.

With Bell and TL controlling BMO, they can start the CPL team and play at BMO having access to suites, concession and naming rights revenues. Have them play in a lower bowl setting and promote the 3 brands together.

From what I understand, CPL would not really be a competitor to MLS. Their goal first and foremost is to develop Canadian players can keeping a minimum # of roster spots (say 70-75%). With strong ownership, a good stadium situation along with hopefully a decent broadcasting deal (assuming TSN leaving MLS is true), then the CPL can work here.

Here's a negative article: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mls/tor ... -1.3891444

Yankee team (of losers).

TFC players are now blaming the Argos for their loss??

[url=http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/giovinco-blames-bmo-s-other-tenant-for-poor-play-at-home~1014017]http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/giovinco ... me~1014017[/url]

This is after TFC has had their best season on and off the pitch.

It's too bad, this will cause the rift between the fan bases to continue...what I bunch of whinny sore losers

Giovinco blames BMO's other tenant for poor play at home

Speaking via a translator, Sebastian Giovinco explains why he was so much more productive on the road in the playoffs, blaming BMO Field's other tenant for changing the condition of the pitch causing him to cramp in the playoffs. Jozy Altidore agreed with his assessment of the field conditions this season.

[url=http://countersink/video/giovinco-blames-bmo-s-other-tenant-for-poor-play~1014017]http://countersink/video/giovinco-blame ... ay~1014017[/url]

They better be careful. These comments will affect other DPs to sign here.

Whining about the field while they made the cup final for the first time, yet the Argos never used it as an excuse in their last place finish.

Stay classy

I guess they better switch over to field turf so this doesn’t happen again .

Sebastian Giovinco = Hope Solo

The more money these guys get, the more entitled they feel.

Also the more excuses. All soccer players should spend more time practicing falling down.
Convince refs you are really hurt.
That is how you play the game.

Like in football, soccer, or rugby, the field conditions are the same for everybody.

Overpaid sulking little crybaby.
Cheer up little boy, Santa is listening.

It is only the MLS. It is not like you lost the FA Cup.