Media with Austin??

I've been watching the media scrums with Coach Kent Austin on Ti-Cats TV and I think the fans should ask the questions instead of the reporters, the reporters questions sound so lame, your asking a Grey Cup winning coach from Sask his thoughts on this years camp verse last years when Cortez was coach what kind of question is that, Austin wasn't hear, how can you expect him to answer that?? And who cares?? Let's focus on Now, and where the team is going in 2013!!!

Why not ask questions about performance level? Who do you think looks really good so far? Who has surprised you in Camp so far after 7 days?

I mean there are a million and one better questions to ask a Head Coach than the crap most of these reporters ask, it's like they never graduated from Journalism school?? Think what your going to ask before you open your mouth and maybe we will get a descent reply??

Eat Em Raw Tiger-Cats, Good Luck in the Black & Gold Day in Guelph!!!

If George Cortez ever aspires to be a head coach again, he should view the media scrums that Kent Austin has given over these past few days of training camp.

Instead of grumpiness and distain, as the previous coach provided, Mr. Austin offers a friendly less confrontational approach with reporters. This, in turn, is more pleasurable to view for the fans. I often avoided watching these last year for that, and other reasons.

No doubt, Bigcat, Kent and the coaching staff watched game films from last season to assist in figuring out the shortfalls of the team and to evaluate those coming back to determine who to keep and who should move on. So, perhaps, that question was fair. Maybe, some fans out there want to know where Austin sees the problems from last season as an outsiders prospective.

Also, keep in mind, that many times in those scrums, we can’t see all the reporters and who is asking the “crap” questions. They could be coming from someone inexperienced in the game or the job.

Besides the day after Williams lost his arbitration, I have only seen the spectator, and CHCH Tv interview Coach Austin, it was not until Chris lost his arbitration, thats when TSN and Sportnet showed their faces, to get the same answer the the Coach has said from Day 1! I think Coach Austin is handling the media 110% better then Coach Cortez did. Cortez seemed pi$$ed off and unhappy all the time, but Coach Austin is media friendly and knows how to treat people with respect! But it would be nice and a great idea if Drew Edwards set up something on the Scratching Post to rely some questions the fans might want to ask!

Cortez was very unfriendly to the media/fans......just seemed angry all the time,and had no time to answer any questions..i feel he was fired, more because we needed a "better face" moving forward,than his over-all record in year one.....with a new stadium,fans not able to get to guelph,the cats had to be as positive and upbeat as possible, and i dont think they felt cortez could changed into that person....austin is all smiles and cordial at all times.

if you get to practice,watch how positive he and the other coaches are with the players...soooooooooooo much different than last year...the players much be much more relaxed out there,which leads to better performances all round.

Bt, I hope the cordial atmosphere between Kent Austin and the media continues once the season starts, particularly if the initial results are not so wonderful.

Almost every player, when interviewed, have commented on how positive and improved the climate is in training camp this season over last. Here's hoping all this translates into a much better season!

If things dont go well early in the season people in here will be crying "Austin's running a country club! - we need old school". Book it.

Like everything there needs to be moderation, a little old school and a little lax, too much of either won't work.

Hey I agree with the other posts here Kent has done a great job at handling the media in comparison to Cortez? I thought the very same thing that Cortez used to put me to sleep when he talked to the media a real yawner??

What I like about Kent Austin is that he addresses the media very professionally and with a positive spin on each topic, even talking about Chris Williams, Austin doubted if Williams would return to the Cats but said if he did decide he would be welcomed back but he would need some one on one time with him to make sure his heads in the game? And that only makes sense but on the flip side, if your going to be a reporter in media just like any other profession be a professional about it and ask quality questions to begin with.

It just shows us fans how the media thinks they are more interested in knowing about Chris Williams then they are in the other players on the field, Yes guys there is really 40 or 50 other players out there and coaches trying to shape this team for the upcoming season? Frankly I hope Williams doesn't return he's painted such a bad image of himself on this team and City that I think it would just be very negative to the other players. The BC Lions and Riders are apparently interested in his services for one year if a deal could be worked out this is from a media source and Williams actually decided to play???

[quote="bt"]Cortez was very unfriendly to the media/fans......just seemed angry all the time,and had no time to answer any questions..i feel he was fired, more because we needed a "better face" moving forward,than his over-all record in year one.....with a new stadium,fans not able to get to guelph,the cats had to be as positive and upbeat as possible, and i dont think they felt cortez could changed into that person....austin is all smiles and cordial at all times.

You are bang on with your assessment ... Cortez was not the face of the team we wanted going into the transition year. Saying that Cortez has always been a Coordinator or Coach and never had to face the media ... regardless of that we have the right guy for the job in Kent Austin.

:thup: Agree with all of this. Management eventually caught on that Cortez's demeanor was not what they wanted to represent them. Especially with the fans and media.