Media poll on various CFL questions

Interesting results from a poll of 21 media types who cover the CFL.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/cfl/henry-burris-voted-most-quotable-player-ottawa-redblacks-chosen-as-biggest-surprise-the-cfl-media-poll

Some "highlights" for the Ticats:

• Kent Austin wins both "biggest phony" and "biggest jerk" in the league

• Austin is also #2 as both the GM and the Head Coach you would most want if you were starting up a new franchise (ahead of both Marcel Desjardins and Rick Campbell)

• Steinauer is voted the assistant most likely to be promoted to head coach - ahead of even Dickensen who has already been named as Calgary's head coach for next year.

• Ted Laurent is the guy people most want on their side in a bar-room brawl. He's also on the list (along with Brandon Banks) of non-QBs you'd select for your expansion franchise.

Sounds about right. If I was a media member, I would think Kent is a phony jerk too. But he's the first guy I'd want running my franchise :slight_smile:

Marcel Desjardin was a great GM in Hamilton :roll: :roll: His team got a little lucky this year with key injuries to all three eastern teams. The rest of the league built this team nothing great about Marcel. I guess Ottawa is the flavour of the month.

Couldn't agree more ballboy!

For the last question that was asked about drop in attendance they did not get to the core reason.
That would be QB injuries.
I try to watch and enjoy the majority of CFL games broadcast on TSN as well as the live Ti-cat games. But even I found myself yawning when you got two backup QBs in charge of a game.
When that happens the offences are stripped down, bland and vanilla. No big plays and a lot of 2 and outs. The casual fan will quickly change the channel when this is happening which was way to frequent this year.
People don't want to watch a couple of new kids one hopping passes off to the flats or getting sacked on the 7th steamboat. They tune in to watch a precision air attack by Reilly, Durant, Lulay and Collaros.
Also when you got a starting QB facing off against a backup then the games can be blowouts. Also not appealing to casual fans.

How to keep QBs healthy? Maybe change the ratio to allow more skilled International O-Lineman play. That's something the league needs to figure out.

As weird as it sounds, I’m almost glad –ALMOST– that we didn’t win the Cup with a healthy Zach this year. If Ottawa somehow manages to beat Edmonton tomorrow, it will have an asterisk in most peoples’ minds. Despite our improbable run to the final seconds of the EDF with our third/fourth string QB, the QB injuries in the East division this year have almost made it feel like a team with a healthy starting QB has no excuse not to have won the division.

So if Ottawa beats the best team in the league and wins the Grey Cup tomorrow, it is somehow diminished because Zach Collaros got injured?
How long did it take you to come up with that gem? :lol:

And Ricky Ray.
And Jonathan Crompton.
And Jeff Mathews.
And Dan LeFevour.
And Rakeem Cato.

If the rest of the East teams had healthy starting QBs all season, Ottawa would have been lucky to even make the playoffs.

If...if...if...if.....

If Austin/Tillman had insured that a competent, game-ready backup was available when Collaros got injured, the Ti-Cats most likely would have won at least one or two more games and finished first. In that case, the Ti-Cats would not have sustained the injuries to Norwood and Sinkfield in the EDSF, they would have had an extra week's rest to recover and they would have played at THF in the final with probably an entirely different result.

The personnel management failures of one team do not diminish the achievements of another team. Injuries happen to every team every year. Not being prepared and having a competent, game ready-backup for the most important player on the team and jeopardizing the season is a failure to responsibly plan for injury and probably cost the team a Grey Cup appearance IMO.

In any case, that's irrelevant now. If Ottawa beats the best team in the league and wins tomorrow, they will have legitimately earned it.

Injuries to all but one of the first string QBs in a division do not happen every year. It's an unusual year. Full stop.

If...if...if...if.....

If Austin/Tillman had insured that a competent, game-ready backup was available when Collaros got injured, the Ti-Cats most likely would have won at least one or two more games and finished first. In that case, the Ti-Cats would not have sustained the injuries to Norwood and Sinkfield in the EDSF, they would have had an extra week's rest to recover and they would have played at THF in the final with probably an entirely different result.

The personnel management failures of one team do not diminish the achievements of another team. Injuries happen to every team every year. Not being prepared and having a competent, game ready-backup for the most important player on the team and jeopardizing the season is a failure to responsibly plan for injury and probably cost the team a Grey Cup appearance IMO.

In any case, that's irrelevant now. If Ottawa beats the best team in the league and wins tomorrow, they will have legitimately earned it.[/quote]

This sums up my thoughts nicely :wink: :thup:

I think a backup should be prepared and ready to play. If his only purpose is to take a seat and fill a roster spot not much point in having a backup. Backups should come prepared to play, know the playbook, studied film, being able to read coverages and blitz packages. Clearly Matthews was a guy that was happy to sit around and collect a paycheck. Harris has little or no talent and can barely take a snap from Centre. We all know who should have been backup, he was prepared and delivered.