media coverage

What is the local media coverage like heading into this new season in each of the CFL cities?

In Regina the local paper (the Leader Post) is running about 6 articles per day. With the Riders usually taking up 2 of those articles and the rest on the rest of the CFL teams. The CFL is always on the front page of the sports page now.

in Stoon we got about 3 a day, all rider articles.

In calgary coverage is pretty good. I think TSN and Sportsnet
have dropped the ball as far as im concerned.

In a perfect world Id like to see coverage from all teams camps
daily. More football, less baseball.

For example, nothing I'd of loved to see more then two over-rated,
over paid Eskimos not getting along.

Thats a good one Eskylo!

is that what there telling you in calgary, well…i can tell you eskimos TC has been very productive.

[quote="Eskylo"]In calgary coverage is pretty good. I think TSN and Sportsnet
have dropped the ball as far as im concerned.

In a perfect world Id like to see coverage from all teams camps
daily. More football, less baseball.

I have an idea for you
When they start to talk about baseball
CHANGE THE CHANNEL

not enuf cfl on the tube

I guess it must be a tough choice in Sask. between cow tipping and the Riders for top story!

Hehehehe :slight_smile: Good one!

They really need to step up the CFL coverage on the tube … granted, I haven’t been watching much TV (there’s nothing on!). The (Calgary) Herald’s coverage has been pretty good, there’s always one full page devoted to Stamp’s camp, plus an editorial or two, and one front-page (of the sports section) article. But I would like to see more updates from around the league.

Here in Hamilton they cover the Ticats great in the Spec and CH TV. Sportsnet, TSN and The Score really do have to pick it up, CFL season is almost here.

good local coverage in the Peg........could start covering the CFL. a little more earlier than they do ....but considering all in all not bad. :!:

Although I agree that the national coverage could be better(did you all know the Devil Rays lost last night?) but locally here in T.O. I don't see any coverage until page four or five....,.and that's embarasssing. The Toronto media is a complete farce....name me a bigger group of self-indulgent mofo's!?!

You’d think it would have slapped your media in the face to have the Argos win the Cup, but no. Apparently, they still refuse to recognize they’re making a mistake by not giving more exposure to the only league whose support is progressing. How disappointing.

He’s referring to the so-called spat that Hervey and Sanchez supposedley had last week in camp. I would rather have two solid pros going at it in camp preparing for the season than a couple of fat cats going through the motions. Unless it becomes a distraction, which it clearly hasn’t, there is no story there. I would be willing to bet the same type of competition is going on in every camp and if it isn’t, I’ll bet there are some dissapointed coaches around the league.

They want to see guys competing for football jobs, not holding hands and playing kinder, gentler football. No one is trying to hurt anyone (except maybe in the Rider camp where it is encouraged), they are just working hard and incidental stuff is bound to happen.

Cheers

[quote="supertoe" I would rather have two solid pros going at it in camp preparing for the season than a couple of fat cats going through the motions.

Unless of course you are referring to the BC Lions offensive linemen in which case we're talking about two fat cats IN motion...which is okay. :wink:

In Montreal, Don Matthews said last week there is “a two free punches policy”. If teammates fight, the first two punches thrown by each guy are free. Then, they pay 10$ per punch…

Isn’t this crazy? :?

Ro

When looking for my daily football fix, ive tried your strategy, flipping
from TSN, to Sportsnet, to the Score. Only problem was all i got was
BASEBALL or BASKETBALL highlights.

I live in Canada, cant i get some Canadian football news??? Is that
asking too much?

You guys are right Toronto media needs to pick it up. The beloved leafs are gone. The argos have been there alot longer and will be here alot longer than the leafs and jays, Raptors but no cares about them. Here in South Korea CFL.ca and this fourm is the only place were I can get my fix. But will be bacl in Canada in a week and going to every CFL I can 1 year away and I'm almost going crazy for some CFL action so excited.

The Vancouver Province Newspaper has devoted 2 pages each day from the Lions training camp…BIG IMPROVEMENT over past years Coverage. Let’s see if they can continue throughout the season. There have been minor blurbs about the other teams. (Sanchez Hervey dust up…Shivers comments) But really no big stories.

I just have to get something off my chest:

Why, in Southern Ontario, on a channel that professes to call itself "SPORTSNET ONTARIO", do they ignore every CFL team except the B.C. Lions?? SportsnetNews is a Vancouver show, so I expect that from them, but why is that show on here? Shouldn't we have our own version, which focuses on the Ontario teams? Ontario has three teams, but Sportsnet Ontario only talks about a team 2000 miles away. If they want to pretend they're a "national" sports channel, they're going to have to do a lot better job than they're doing.

Otherwise here in Hamilton, the Spec dedicates about two pages to the CFL every day; mostly to the Cats, with a couple of articles from other teams, usually the Argos, which ticks me off a little. But it's owned by the Toronto Star, so I guess that's not going to change. CH has a report from training camp every day during their sportscast.