McPherson traded to Toronto soon?

According to Lefko, and Canoe, McPherson has asked to be traded. And he seems to have gotten permission from the Als to do so:

[url=http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2011/12/11/lefko_cfl/]http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/20 ... lefko_cfl/[/url] [url=http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/nouvelles/football/alouettes/archives/2011/12/20111212-060707.html]http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/nouvelles/foo ... 60707.html[/url]

I can't wait for the 2013 season and Ricky Santos as the starter... I also can't wait for "someone" to gloat...

Well, if true, and not taking sides with anyone, could this not have been foreseen?

I am very much on the fence about AC's return, despite his assurances. Although he broke umpteen records this season, this was one of the worst for him. Now, there are many ways to define greatness. If you define greatness as consistancy - week in, week out - than the tip of the hat is in AC's favour. If, on the other hand, you determine greatness as how many GC rings you have, than other QBs would clearly be ahead of him.

There comes a time in a player's career when personal goals/hubris must take a back seat. This season pointed up the glaring deficiencies we have seen in AC, i.e. not being able to move the pocket, reduced mobility, hurried/inaccurate throws, sacks, playing "nervously"... Damon Allen was able to achieve what he did playing beyond age 40, BUT in those last few seasons, he spent plenty of time on the sidelines with various injuries. I wouldn't want to see that with AC.

I would have much preferred to see AD get several starts this season, with AC coming in from time to time, and having AC play the role of mentor to AD. I will be saddened if we lose AD, but that's pro sports - life goes on.

Would really suck to see him go, but if he does I hope we get a player back that we can use right away. Not a draft pick or rights to some player playing Alabama who will never come to the CFL!

It's Perry Lefko. I'll wait to hear from a credible source before I start thinking of what this might mean for the Als.

Totally agree. Once I hear from Jim Popp,then I will react. In the meantime, I won't worry too much.

Richard

If he goes, do we promot within Santos or Neiswander? Or do we go out and get a solid backup like Glenn? God forbide if AC goes down early in the season, the fans will not accept a losing season. A few years ago Popp at least tried and went out and picked up Maas from Hamilton.

LOL! TSN is reporting the Argos are going after Ray....I HATE FRICKIN RUMOURS!

Looks like Ray be headed there.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=382540

Can someone explain to me why Edmonton would make that trade? It doesn't seem to make any sense. Why are they suddenly banking on Jyles when they have a proven starter in Ray who's still in his physical prime?

It is a bit of a puzzler, especially since Jyles started out in Edmonton, and they were so enamoured with him they shipped him out to Regina.

Mind you, Tillman and Reed weren’t in charge at the time. . . so I guess they like him, for some reason.

Two very wise posters:

And on further review. ..

From Toronto's perspective, acquiring Ray makes more sense than making a play for McPherson.

If we assume that Milanovich and Himebauch are going to instal an offence similar to the one that they have worked in under Trestman the past few seasons, then clearly Ray is better suited to such an offence than is McPherson. Ray, like AC, is an accurate passer, an excellent reader of defences, and not particularly mobile (although, just like AC, he does run every now and then and is often better than one would expect). Ray and AC are far more alike to each other than McPherson is to either.

Add to that the fact that Ray is a 'name' star player (which McPherson isn't, yet), and Toronto is hosting the 100th Grey Cup in 2012, it makes sense that they'd go this route.

Now what Barker has to do is find some people Ray can throw to.

I don't understand this trade,from an Edmonton point of view; the Argos are the winners; we won't hear anymore that Adrian is going to Toronto. The only reason that could justify/explain this trade concerns money or savings for Edmonton. Tillman probably wants to save $100,000 to $150,000 to sign some of their potential free agents and some from other teams; he could make a substamtial offer to Messam; again, he will tell us that he is improving the canadian talent.-Shaw from Toronto and a 2012 first round choice.-

Back to McPherson, if he is traded,the only possibility,to me, is Hamilton. I would not mind McPherson for Quinton Porter,Marcus Thigpen and the rights to Samuel Giguère. We could always add Desriveaux with Adrian.

Richard

It looks like Toronto was chasing 2 rabbits and caught the most interesting one for them.

If we keep McPherson, that makes me a happy camper.

Tillman likes to think he`s the smartest guy in the room, and actually sometimes he is.

I cant see him going to war with Jyles as his No. 1 General. Im certain another QB move will follow. It would have to be a younger, less expensive one, otherwise why move Ray. Brink, Porter, and even McPherson are the names that come to mind.

Richard if im Popp I would make that trade now! Thigpen would solve our KR problems and can be a backup to Whitaker. Porter is a descent backup, and with a normal coach like Trestman he might be able to do some magic. Giguere has to get over the fact that he will never play in the NFL. Maybe the fact that he has a chance to play in front of his family and friends might change his mind!

Here you go, shut this thread down and Lefko can kiss all of our Alouettes fan butts!

[url=http://alsinsideout.com/the-snap/popp-open-to-offers-for-mcpherson/]http://alsinsideout.com/the-snap/popp-o ... mcpherson/[/url]

[quote="MadJack"]And on further review. ..

From Toronto's perspective, acquiring Ray makes more sense than making a play for McPherson.

If we assume that Milanovich and Himebauch are going to instal an offence similar to the one that they have worked in under Trestman the past few seasons, then clearly Ray is better suited to such an offence than is McPherson. Ray, like AC, is an accurate passer, an excellent reader of defences, and not particularly mobile (although, just like AC, he does run every now and then and is often better than one would expect). Ray and AC are far more alike to each other than McPherson is to either.

Add to that the fact that Ray is a 'name' star player (which McPherson isn't, yet), and Toronto is hosting the 100th Grey Cup in 2012, it makes sense that they'd go this route.

• Believe this would be the primary reason. Made a splash signing Milanovich and Jones, now a bonified QB. As you said, next up some quality receivers to catch the passes.

Herb reporting that Jim Popp has had informal discussions with Tim Fleiszer, McPherson`s agent about trading McPherson. He stressed however that McPherson has not demanded a trade.

Herb also saying Carson Walch about to be named receivers coach.

I read that as well sheldon. If McPherson hasn't demanded a trade, I guess that means he isn't nearly as desperately unhappy as one was leading us to believe.

I like Popp's approach. I'd trade him too, if the right offer came along. . .heck I'd trade almost anyone if the right deal came along.

For example, I sure wouldn't have traded him to Toronto for Jyles, Shaw, and the draft pick which is what Edmonton got for Ray.

But, if someone offered me a standout DB along with a standout D lineman and a draft pick, I'd sure be all ears.

But Tillman was GM of Saskatchewan when the Riders acquired Jyles. And we all know how Tillman likes to surround himself with player and coaches he knows.

This trade also frees up cap space to get Fantuz - another favourite of Tillman’s.