McPherson, Reilly or Mitchell?

I agree. thats why I think that Mcpherson will be sought after by EDM and McPherson is very intersted as it will give them an instant answer to QB and he a chance as a starter spot right from the get go. Reilly will either stay in BC if there are any doubts on Lulays injury. Otherwise Hamilton of even Montreal could be a destination to groom behind AC or Burris. placing Mitchell as ready to be a starter in his 3rd year as a Franchise QB for years to come in Ottawa for them to build personnel around.

The BC Lions have been told by Reilly and his agent that he will NOT return in 2013. He will have may offers. I can see Reilly ending up in Winnipeg or Montreal. Pierce cant stay healthy and AC has one year left. But the highest bidder wins. And honestly, if BC is the highest bidder, the kid will play the “i always wanted to stay” card and resign. Its all about money. This is his first and may be his last chance to make decent money in Canada.

With Reilly and his agent stating that they will not be back and Calivillo appearing to be coming back for another year that would mean McPherson will not be back in Montreal and the domino affect will begin to take place.
Honestly the best situation for Reilly would then be to go to Montreal learn the system and be able to step in as starter in 2014. I think that no matter what anyone says that Winnipeg has invested time in both Elliot and Brink and it appears that Elliot has always had the edge in the eyes of the Winnipeg Brass to be the starter. It is too bad that they most likely be able to bring both Elliot and Brink back as Brink really appears to have what it takes to be a top back up. When coming off the bench he played Better than Elliot but as a starter Elliot played better. It would be time for Winnipeg to make a decision as to which one will be the #1 going into next season and Elliot appears to be the best fit.
With no experienced Back up in BC it is possible that Brink could land in BC. He is a great short yardage QB and will be in his 4th pro season in the CFL so he is no longer a young prospect and right now he appears to be a top #2.
What Winnipeg does for a #2 will be sketchy situation for them. Some say that Pierce would be fine staying in Winnipeg as a #2 if that is true than that would be a best case for Winnipeg but I still think it will have Elliot looking over his shoulder but Winnipeg can no longer go with Pierce as their starter coming into training camp and into the season. IT has been tried for 3 seasons and has not worked with him being out much much more than in the lineup. Elliot will be a different QB a better QB if named the starter and going through training camp and each week taking the starters snaps.
I still think that McPherson and Edmonton are a perfect fit. Edmonton really was not that bad of a team last year but Jyles as QB for half the season..... McPherson has the playing style of Joseph which was very effective for Edmonton but Joseph simply wore down at the end.
With Glenn making a public statement that he thinks he is a starter in the CFL still will limit his chances. If he were not to say that and would be able to come into a situation much like he did in Calgary that would better serve him. If not for his past in Winnipeg and his statement Winnipeg would probably be the best fit for him to back up Elliot much as he did with TATE but there is probably too much history there with the Bombers. Hopefully Glenn change his perspective and he could last a long time in the CFL as top Back Up going well into his late 30's.

:thup:

I honestly think Alex Brink is the worst QB on the bombers. His throwing mechanics are off (imo) and his deep back is not accurate. As for McPherson, it remains to be seen if he is a free agent or has 1 year left on a deal. We will find out soon when the CFL releases the free agent list for 2013. If McPherson is a free agent (as i have been told) he will walk. If not, look for Edmonton to shop Jerome Messam to Montreal in a package including McPherson. Although, i have heard (today)Edmonton is interested in trading a low draft pick for the rights to QB Reilly to try and get the first crack and signing him. so we will have to wait and see. it all depends on who the Eskimos hire as their new QB and who he likes better.

.....Reilly would be the best bet for Ottawa BUT he's not going to be available as he will most likely sign on with Edm. or Wpg....From what I'm hearing, Bomber brass has one qb. at present on their minds and he's one nobody has mentioned and that's Justin Goltz...Mack and Burke are really high on the guy and he's also an fa...Bombers are trying to sign him asap...I think we'll see one of either Brink or Elliott going down the road...Elliott is presently being 'shopped' while Brinks term with the Bombers is tenuous at best...Pierce will most likely be no 2 to whomever the bluengold bring in...Door is open...Now will it be Reilly,McPhersen, orrrrr maybe even Burris in a trade (seems to be an unhappy camper after the Cortez firing)...It's going to get very interesting and I believe Ottawa will get a pick of a qb. with potential at the end of 2013... some teams no 2...and that'll be it.. Doesn't sound great but you have to start somewhere :wink:

You obviously don’t understand how this league works. BC or Montreal are not possible destinations, the only teams that will offer Reilly a starting QB salary (provided he wins the position in camp) are Edmonton,Winnipeg or possibly Hamilton should they decide to dump Burris (unlikely).

Who says that Reilly will get offered a chance to be a starter anywhere. He has really done no more than Nichols in Edmonton who both have been with their team for about three years and have both only seen any game action until the second part of the season.
With Calivillo and Burris both reaching retirement shortly and Lulay not his best offer could quite possibily be a top young back up.
With the Salary cap the league has changed tremendously in the way it operates. Reilly in only playing very few games at the pro level in any league teams will be very hesitant to hand him the keys to the Kingdom coming from another franchise. when they may already have a player of similar talents already on the roster already on their payroll.
when was the last time you saw former NFL players with 4 or 5 years experience with starting experience or were key back ups and special teams returners become CFL all stars in there first season; Burnett, Watkins, Simpson ( and surely Sheets was of all star calibre ) These guys were not practice squad players for 3 years they were key contributors to there teams.

…Let’s see now who would offer Reilly a shot at the starting gig…
EDM. for one…Jyles is a dud…Joseph is done and Nichols had a near career ending injury…I don’t see the esks. going with that stable.

WPG. for another…Buck has agreed to be a no 2…Elliott is on the trading block…Brink is on the brink of being shown the door…Goltz is too green (not in a rider kind of way)…sooooooo that opens the door for a starters gig…

HAM. …possibly if Burris hits the road…definitely a sarting role there

Sorry for repeating but i guess you didn’t read the previous posts of both hfxtc and myself… :roll:

ah your right what could I be thinking. Reilly will definitely be starting in Edmonton or Winnipeg next year. ya Burris will probably be gone out of Hamilton since Cortez is gone.

not likely.
It would be a grievous error in judgement for Austin to release a proven starting quarterback who broke several TiCats records this past season.

It might be a mistake, but it might also be a way for Austin to put his stamp on the team, and bring in the QB he wants in the long term. But you are correct - it could absolutely blow up in his face. (i.e. Tillman trading Ricky Ray)

Why would Austin do that ? The Ticats have a good deal in Burris at 300k and the problems with this team is not the offense.

And every decision made by the management of a sport team makes sense?

Interesting that a year ago we were talking about McPherson (gone not coming back) replacing Calvillo in Montreal, Reilly a possibility but now signed in Edmonton and will be protected or Mitchell (still a possibility as a backup).

I would not put McPherson out of the convo for next season just yet.
Popp was awaiting and now has gotten and will be starting Troy Smith this week.
Does not mean that either Ottawa or Winnipeg would bring him in and give him a chance to play. He would have to earn it of course but never got that chance in Montreal.
I just cannot remember a team having the same back up for 5 years with little or no competition during his tenure as ACs caddie

It will be difficult for Adrian to return to the CFL for the money he’s looking for because of the crop of young QB’s that got playing time this year.

That would be true but he would have at least one final chance to go to a team where he could actually have a chance at a starting QB position. Again would need to be earned but a chance non the less. If he does during the course of the season show that he is able to be among the starters in the CFL any team would be happy to renegotiate his contract for the future.
He is 30 now put he has spent his entire CFL 5 year career backing up the leagues all time leading passer so he has the knowledge. He waited as long as he could but the timing was a year off as the health of Calivillo did not go down until this season. If he was still under contract for this season he would have been the next man up and have gotten his chance.
He did get a chance, however, to go to the Arena League, which is now a clear step below the CFL but got his chance to play each week taking starter snaps and playing a sustained amount of games in a row before he was injured.
Ottawa having the Als former asst GM as there GM will be in a great position to make the call on whether McPherson will fit their plans.
Teams that had gone on the cheap for their Back ups are starting to be exposed as we see in BC where Demarco clearly is not ready and the Riders D game plan have exposed his inexperience. Even worse bringing in Buck Pierce to be his back up. With the game out of hand the Lions clearly were not comfortable in putting Pierce in for the 4th qtr at all. Indecision having him warm up, confusion as he nor Demarco was not sure who would begin the 4th qtr.

Steve : I too believe that McPherson has to get an opportunity for a QB somewhere in the cfl after his performance in the USA last season. It makes sense , at least in my opinion, Ottawa will let him compete for a QB slot. This would just give Ottawa another QB with good credentials as a contender- its a no lose sitn for Ottawa as several teams have three QBs as the Argos showed last evening. I would think Collaros will be in Ottawa next season.

Yup no lose for Ottawa he can be a free agent pick up. The RBs GM is familiar with AMAC so if he does not sign him that means he feels that he will not fit or be able to compete for a sarting job. As we saw this seaason QBs can get injured a lot and having a qualified Back up can be priceless. Really only Calagary had the best with Glenn being the number 2 to start the season and good enough to keep the starting job.

So if QB’s can get injured a lot then why didn’t someone else pick him up? Winnipeg, Edmonton and even BC sure could have used him at some point. There is obviously a reason for that. So what if Desjardins is familiar with him? Desjardins has his own agenda. You’re really stating something we all already know.