MBT to Elks

edit: looks like they’re releasing Corny too

3 Likes

Should be nothing but good stuff for the Elk

1 Like

Somebody wrote the article from Europe. I think it’s still the 5th in North America.

1 Like

Didn’t think he would sign there but a one year deal takes some pressure off Ford looking like he won’t be the starter now there are expectations in Edmonton for once.

Or could completely blow up in the team’s face making a QB controversy that’s not needed.

Either way Cornelius is available… would be a good back up with the Argos

5 Likes

After taking less money to play in the states last year, he said “show me the money”. :rofl:

8 Likes

TORONTO — After a year away from the CFL, McLeod Bethel-Thompson is reportedly making his way back to the league.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2024/01/05/report-elks-to-sign-mcleod-bethel-thompson

edit: added to OP that the Elks are releasing Corny too

1 Like

It will be interesting to see if any CFL team will sign Cornelius. He has shown some promise but seemed to be running for his life a lot behind the Elks line. With better protection behind a better OL (like the Argos) he could have some value especially as a back up for starters IMO.

4 Likes

The Elks now have the best 1-2 punch in the West, arguably in the CFL, @ QB. It’ll be interesting to see how they use Ford this year. It’s only for 1 year & I’ve heard that the plan is to have Ford groom under a veteran QB for a year which would be beneficial.

But, as Tedtanium says, it’s a delicate balance with Ford. He’ll need to be given some significant playing time this year or lose faith in his handlers IMO.

The Elks have some VG talent @ RB & @ WR even without Dunbar. Could use some more depth @ OL.

With 6 of the top 8 prospects in the loaded draft this year @ OL & 10 of the top 20, they will get a shot @ getting some decent prospects there. I would not be surprised to see a repeat of 2 years ago for them to trade their #1 for an extra pick this year. They have 5 picks in top 21, 7 in top 31 this year so Jones may be active trade wise come May.

Good signing. Sacrificing Cornelius & Dunbar for McBeth is a deal I’d make any day.

6 Likes

OK - I have to admit that I have never been a MBT fan - just never thought he was that good, And as a Tiger Cat fan, no Argo QB would be that good. My real reason for disliking MBT goes back to the Eastern Final in 2022 - when he pushed his coach and started yelling at him because he disagreed with Dinwiddie’s decision. At that point, another coach intervened and pushed MBT hard and almost knock him off his feet. MBT is not my kind of player or team leader - most coaches would have benched him. As far as his Grey Cup win goes against the Bombers - he got lucky and hot at the same time.

In another post someone thought that MBT could possibly go to Hamilton - thankfully he will be going west. Hamilton doesn’t need him and nor would he last 2 seconds with his attitude.

5 Likes

Oh come on you know damn well id MBT was going to the Ticats you would be the first guy extolling his prowess and claiming he has now grown up and would never act like the child he probably still is. Or you would over look his spoiled child antics because a grey cup was coming to Hamilton
You would also be counting on finally getting a grey cup again in 2024.

3 Likes

Cornelius does have potential. He holds on to the ball too long but in TO there is an OL that would make him more comfortable & give him time to grow.

It’s hard to judge the Elk OL when you have scramblers like Cornelius & Ford. When you look at that fantastic TD throw by Ford where he must have covered 30 yds running around the backfield, how does an OL block for that?

The OL hasn’t played long as a unit but have some good pieces to build around like Ivez - who they got from TO & was their pick for o/s OL last year. Jack-Kurdyla was good & Korte is also very good. They could use another good veteran but they were middle of the pack sacks allowed & were part of the best run offence in the latter half of the season. It’s a work in progress there. But there are writers on this site who believed post season that the Elks were on the cusp of making some noise in 2024. Getting MBT isn’t going to hurt that optimism. We’ll see.

4 Likes

…because his reads were too slow…and because of that he got the ball out late…which lead to interceptions and running for his life…

6 Likes

We have the most exciting young QB in the league and Jones blows it on another American has-been. Ford won the right to start this year but Jones has no loyalty to Canadian players. He also has no loyalty to the Elks fans. I remember the picture of him hopping on his Hog and heading to Saskatchewan

7 Likes

MBT to Elks is a stupid idea…Tre Ford should be their #1 QB…if what he did in 2023 doesn’t prove what he can do then something is completely wrong.

5 Likes

I’m an Elks fan and I don’t think that Ford is ready to be a full time starter. He needs to refine his skills and work with a veteran QB, something he hasn’t been able to do to this point. He is still young and and an extra year of experience will help him in the long run.

5 Likes

I think B.C. will sign him

As a backup

2 Likes

Big move from Elks. Big money to MacLeod Thompson. Big slap on a face to Tre Ford. Alouettes will welcome you any Time.

3 Likes

I will agree with that. He’s good but you don’t want another Dunnigan on your hands either. Getting him better means a longer career because he isn’t getting beat up so much.
Reading defences and getting the ball out quick is the modern formula for success for a QB and Ford needs to be better ther to be more consistent.

4 Likes