Mayor Fred slams Tiger-Cats...shifts all the blame onto them

Well, let's just analyse this :roll:

(comments in red are mine)

Source: http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/817728

Q&A: Mayor Fred Eisenberger

Complied by Emma Reilly
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jul 31, 2010)
Charged with overseeing a city that has been divided by the Pan Am debate, Eisenberger spoke to The Spectator about the Tiger-Cats, the team's proposal for an amphitheatre in the west harbour and how Hamilton can move beyond the debate on stadium location that has divided the city.

Q: What do you think about the Tiger-Cats' amphitheatre proposal?

A: This was a proposal that was certainly a surprise. Clearly we need to evaluate it and assess it and come to terms with what it all means and get specific details from the Tiger-Cats. I don't know that we've received that yet ...

It was certainly an understanding that both the city and the Tiger-Cats had that we would have these kinds of discussions at the negotiating table. I've been holding up my end in terms of not debating these issues in public, and I would have hoped that they would have done the same.

Bald faced lie from Fred..........he's never shut up and did everything in his power to undermine the facilitation

Q: The Pan Am Games announced (Thursday) that track and field events will no longer be in Hamilton and the city will host soccer instead. What was your reaction to that?

A: I'd say, firstly, that this is totally a Pan Am Host Corporation decision to relocate the track and field events to Toronto. I do know that a request was made by Athletics Canada in May to look at this issue. It did come up as part of the facilitation and (facilitator Michael) Fenn's report as something that might be considered.

We did express concern that the foundation of our getting involved in Pan Am had everything to do with the track and field events that were part of the stadium proposal. We did express our concern that this was being pulled. However, we were advised that this was a decision that was 95 per cent made by Hostco.

Were we accepting of the decision? I would say no. We have concerns.

Q: Is this a sign that Hamilton's role in the Games is being chipped away and we could lose the stadium?

A: No, I don't think so. I think soccer is a significant part of the Pan Am Games. Certainly we have a strong soccer community in Hamilton. There's a real interest in soccer based on our ethnic diversity. Every other child out there is playing soccer in our community, so I think we can create a legacy for soccer in our Pan Am stadium moving forward.

Q: (Ticats president) Scott Mitchell reaffirmed Thursday that the Tiger-Cats will not play at the west harbour. If that's the case, was the facilitation process worthwhile?

A: I think the City of Hamilton faithfully fulfilled the facilitation process to look at the west harbour site to draw some conclusions about how this could work for all. I don't believe that the Tiger-Cats did any of that in good faith. In the middle of the facilitation process, the Tiger-Cats said they would never play at the west harbour. It is less than helpful when a strategic partner ignores the community-building imperatives that the City of Hamilton is so interested in.

Truth be known, Fred has been the champion on bad-faith in all of this...remember this ? "full steam ahead on the West Harbour"....while the facilitation process was going on

Q: That's a strong stance.

A: I think I'm stating what a lot of people are thinking. I understand the Tiger-Cats' interest but it's not just about the Tiger-Cats -- it's about the community and what it can inspire for our community and our waterfront development. I would say that the Tiger-Cats certainly haven't taken that very seriously.

The Ticats have been the only entity that has taken everything seriously

Q: A lot of people have described the debate as messy and out of control. How does the city get out of this in one piece?

A: I think we need to break it down to its essential elements again and go back to the foundation of why we got into the Pan Am process in the first place, which was to replace (Ivor Wynne) stadium and to provide long-term benefit to the City of Hamilton. I would say we did that in good faith. We certainly considered the Hamilton Tiger-Cats to be the strategic partner, but not the overriding partner in the process, and that we would all come to the table and look at opportunities to make this work ...

I'm not here to lay blame at this point, but I think it might be self-evident that others have been much more interested in their own personal interest, their own private interest, their own football business interests, than they have been in city-building and leaving a lasting legacy.

How about all the tax arrears wiped clean by all the "private interests" in the Rheem area?.........hmmm
And the Tiger-Cats are supposed to be a charity now for the city?
Give your head a shake Fred

Q: Anything else you want to add?

A: I just want to say that we're doing everything humanly possible to ensure the community and public interest is being protected here. That's an important message. Myself and members of council are the caretakers of the City of Hamilton. I take that responsibility very seriously and I'm going to do everything possible to ensure the City of Hamilton's interests are protected in every way possible.

hahahaha.......you crack me up Fred !........start explaining to all the families down there about all the toxic chemicals that were just discovered ..........on your watch !

I'm not here to lay blame at this point, but I think it might be self-evident that others have been much more interested in their own personal interest, their own private interest, their own football business interests, than they have been in city-building and leaving a lasting legacy.

This statement right here is 100% true and I know a lot of Hamiltonian's who feel this way. I also know a quite a few people who can't stand Bob Young and agree 100% with the stance taken by the city. What you seem to forget without the city funding this the stadium is dead not even 15,000 seats. Without the Cat's we can still in theory build 15,000 seats. The Cat's are a partner very minor be it. They need the city and province way more then either needs them. They may be a stragtegic partner a very very minor one at that. Cat's are not all innocent like you seem and are just as guilty if not more guilty of poor faith as the next. The Cat's have damaged their image severly outside of hardcore fans with their stance. Honestly the view I get from most people are it let them leave who cares this city doesn't need another minor league team. Outside 15-20000 people maybe even less noone has any respect for this organization and how they've handled this. First maybe who should even get a clue on how to run a successful football team before proclaiming he will lose money. With how poorly this team has been run since his ownership has taken over it doesn't matter where you put the stadium they will fail. This ownership has done more with ticket hikes, no kids, tickets and the worst franchise record in 7 years then I can think of. A stadium location isn't going to make profit for you when all you have done is constantly upset customers.

I think you are 100% wrong with every statement ADawg.

Without the cats, you have an empty 15,000 seat stadium that the city tax dollars must pay to maintain every year for no reason!

If only the mayor would have addressed the tiger-cats issues with the wh location long ago. Maybe some kind of comprimise on the wh location could have been made, along with katz and the white star group?

Somewhere, Larry DiIanni is rubbing his hands, smiling, going "excellent."

You can debate what you want, but out of 8 teams and how they are run this team ranks 7th maybe even 8th. There is people out there and I can introduce you to many who can't stand Bob Young and how he has delt with this. With the current on field product and lack of desire for high quality players to play in Hamilton how will this team succeed past a year or 2 once the new car smell wears off. This team is marketed horribly and made many serious mistakes which have cost them fans. Many of those fans who will never return. The mistakes made to a casual fan have lived up to the sterotypes of the CFL being a "bush league" or a joke. They have done a horrible job marketing towards a younger fan base. 60 dollars to sit in section 6 on a wooden bench does push fans away no doubt. How many are going to now jump over to a brand new stadium and pay NFL prices to see a minor league team. There is no doubt this has damaged the reputation of the Tiger-Cat's and no doubt in my mind if you asked the common Hamiltonian if the Cat's leave do you care 400,000 would say whatever. There is a lt of entertainment in this area for people to spend money on. The Tiger-Cat's have done very little to seperate themself from the rest. Bob Young is a good business man yes, but he has done nothing to show he can ever run a successful football franchise. He might want to research his market more because airplanes score boards and big Canada flags do nothing to lure a fan to the game.

I like people who feel they have to draw assumptioms and thoughts from others. This entire mess started when mayor Fred decided to leave out the ONLY tennant it has in the proposed new stadium. Mayor Fred wants to clean up that mess Rheem left behind and plunk a stadium without access or any financial backing - NOT one investor has come to the table with any money. That in it's self speaks volumes. Mayor Fred let's concock a plan that is not a plan and leave out your major tennant in the process. Let's bring a group from Edmonton and add some smoke and mirrors and loads of bs and failed promisses.

Why don't you (Fred) alienate the only person who HAS brought the money to the table. At the risk of being banned from this site - no words can express my displeasure with Mayor Fred and the rest of the #$#@# that are behind the plan that never was more than smoke and mirrors and truck loads of bs.

Thats the sad part Kat. Larry was a miserable failure as a mayor and really the only reason Fred was able to win. I always thought of Fred as a more conservative candidate opposing a card carrying Liberal like Larry. I lean to fiscal conservatism and voted Fred. Little did I realize Fred was every bit the spendthrift that Larry was. At least with Larry I could see it coming and he rarely caused the dysfunction and bitter divisiveness in the community. Even with that I cannot vote for him. I sincerely a legitimate 3rd option shapes up that has a chance of being more than just a minor vote getter that siphons off votes from one or the other leading candidates

Bitter fan
Bob Young hater
uninterested in real debate on whats best for the city

Stadium site debate aside…

This is a spot on assessment of Mr.Young’s tenure as team owner…

Great salesman…He has definately sold the “sizzle”…

The “sizzle” is the meaningless part in the long run.The “steak” is what matters,and for the vast majority of his ownership,he’s given us bascially spam…

I heard somewhere that he's definitely running for mayor again and I hope it's sooner rather than later.

He registered last week and formally announced it

I like the Cat’s don’t like the ownership. Coming from captain bitter himself means very little. Please show me something the Cat’s have done well to market to the next generation of fan they show up with TC to a few schools. What teams are we better run then outside Toronto and maybe Winnipeg which seem to be slowly turning the corner with new ownership. There is a lot more private business that does more the community that could use the money to stay a float more so then the Tiger-Cat’s. Show me that losing this stadium is a big deal to the people in this community. In fact a good bulk of people would likely say this is the best thing to happen. Bob Young if he so choses can take his own money find his own spot and build his own stadium for his private interest. The majority of the population will lose zero sleep if the Cat’s left. Everyone will find something else to spend their entertainment dollars on. As with most people in my age bracket if it wasn’t for my father taking me to games I likely wouldn’t know or care about the team neither. They have done zero to build attachment to this team.I’m sorry that some feel Bob Young is the high and mighty and can do no wrong. I see it the other way around he the only reason this he is unsuccessful at football ownership because of himself not the City, not the fans not the location. He came into this with a plan and knew the limitation at that time otherwise he didn’t do his homework.

He was not NOT a miserable failure. This City is so divided on everything. It’s a tough gig. He got things moving, at least. We needed the RHE. There was total gridlock in the East end. It isn’t fair that a segment of the population should bear the whole brunt of everybody else’s traffic in the area. You voted for Fred, that’s your mistake. You can’t say in hindsight, “oh but, I didn’t know he would do this or that.” It was your call. You made it and you have to live with it for better or for worse. File it under, completely blew that call. :wink:

Geez...where to begin to add my two cents.

"It was certainly an understanding that both the city and the Tiger-Cats had that we would have these kinds of discussions at the negotiating table. I've been holding up my end in terms of not debating these issues in public, and I would have hoped that they would have done the same.

Bald faced lie from Fred..........he's never shut up and did everything in his power to undermine the facilitation

I agree here with deerhunter. Fred lost all credibility when during the arbitration process HE made public that Katz was interested in the stadium and team and Copps etc etc. Sorry Fred...YOU opened your big mouth first and now you try and point the finger at Bob Young!!! Un Friggin believeable.

Next...this statement"This statement right here is 100% true and I know a lot of Hamiltonian's who feel this way. I also know a quite a few people who can't stand Bob Young and agree 100% with the stance taken by the city." Well...a number of people could probably say the same about Fred. It's not a valid "quantifiable" statement.

"Without the Cat's we can still in theory build 15,000 seats." True...but without the Ticats....ii will sit empty. Perhaps you'll get some use out of it for high school championships. Common sense says that if you already have a tenant lined up...at least try and work with him. You don't treat them like dirt and still expect them to chip in and feel good about it. Bob Young has a valid point...if he feels he can't make a profit running the team there than at least listen to him and work with him.

"This team is marketed horribly and made many serious mistakes which have cost them fans." Simply...wrong. This team has been marketed very well. Unfortunately it has suffered with poor on field performance due to mis-management. But it has been marketed well with promotions, website traffic, etc etc.

Lastly "60 dollars to sit in section 6 on a wooden bench does push fans away no doubt. How many are going to now jump over to a brand new stadium and pay NFL prices to see a minor league team." It's not Bob Youngs fault that there are wooden benches. Remember...he doesn't own Ivor Wynne and he as much as everyone else wants a new stadium with more comfortable seats. And as for the "NFL ticket prices"...again...a broad statement that can not be substantiated.

It's very true that when it get's down to it, most people in this city would rather see the Cats leave than have the stadium anywhere but the West Harbour and it's pathetic.They've been here longer than any of us could possibly be, they have DEEP roots in this city... no wait.They ARE this city.Without the Ticats what are we really?A polluted city with crap all to do.
Don't take the Ticats for granted, they've been there for us for our whole lives (not always as the Ticats but yeah).

What makes me sick is that instead of embracing what Bob Young has and could continue to bring to the table, Fred figures the best course of action is to shpow absolute contempt. Bob Young brings a wealth of resources and quality people he has assembled. I bet HOSTCO will be tapping into the Tiger-Cats/MRX marketing prowess for the Pan Am Games once they study their achievements

PGA Ford Championship at Doral, Florida
Vanier Cup
Lulu.com
MRX.com

etc, etc

And what does Fred bring?.....insults, toxic waste and a bad plan :roll:

We do currently pay comparable to Ralph Wilson prices for tickets. I sat in section 6 for 55 plus ticket master charge. Last season at the Bills I paid 65 american with my ticket master charge to sit in compareable seats for the Bills opener. Now fastward a head what makes you think they won't exceed or at least equal a NFL ticket. I even went to a Steelers game for 90 bucks on stub hub last season.

Yes I have to live with the fact the better of 2 choices was still a failure. Larry was a bust, he stands for everything I oppose. Especially the RHVP. I'll probably vote to re-elect Fred to be honest. As bad as he is, its the lesser of 2 evils

I don't believe that 15. I honestly think that they cannot see any situation where the Cats will leave, hence the CFL letter.