Maybe Ottawa needs a larger Video board for call reversals

The Gades never, ever, ever, ever, get a call go their way. And now, when they finally get a break on a questionable play that goes their way, it was too good to be true. Crowd noise and a large replay board reverse the decision. Its truly unbelievable. This team is cursed. Another great example of fine CFL referreeing.

Gades definitely need a bigger video board.

I hope from now on, we're going to challenge every close play just before the next play begins!

I'm realy pissed about this! And it's these types of calls which make me become more of an NFL fan then a CFL fan because it's so unprofessional. The refs in the junior leagues could probably do a better job. And I'm not just whining about this game, but lately, the ref's haven't been doing there job.

Also, without any replays, I don't think there should be any reversals. Usually, the ref that makes the initial call is the closest with the better view, but sometimes the ref on the other side of the field reverses the call??? (i.e. last week, one of our players made a catch close to the sidelines. The closest ref (on the sidelines) was clearly watching his feet, but for some reason, another ref reversed the play from almost 20 yards out???)

If there isn't a rule about replay in the CFL then they should not have been able to use it. Simple as that...

Plus there should have been a delay of game penalty vs Toronto due to the fact that they showed the replay over and over again thus allowing the refs to look at it.

That the player be down before the fumble is not the issue... The issue is that it was an unfair advantage to replay the tackle on the bigscreen and the Gades were unfairly penalized...

Anywhere else the conversion of the 1pts would hav gone on and the play would have stood. (regardless of the fact that it was not a funble.)

Toronto should be fined for this and the REFS should be reprimended.

The CFL is chump because of this.

No wonder CFL refs are so bad...they are led by a guy(George Black) who isn't even sure of the rules himself. From Chris Stevenson in Sunday's Sun:

CFL director of officiating George Black did little to clarify the issue with his sometimes contradictory explanation of the call on the Team 1200 the other day.

Black's explanation of plays ending "in the mind of the official" without a whistle and a sketchy rule about the ball reverting to the team that originally had possession on inconclusive plays only served to further muddle the issue.

The timing of such a controversy is damaging to the CFL because this was supposed to be the year when the league did something about its officiating, which had justifiably earned a reputation for being spectacularly incompetent.

Wednesday night's play did nothing to raise the comfort level of fans, players, coaches or media that on-field officials are in control of the game or know the rules.

We're not even talking about some weird play. This was a simple case of a ball being fumbled or not. It is hard to believe not one of the officials had anything close to an opinion on what had happened (which is pretty much what Black said).

Where were they looking?

Black's statements have made their way around the league and at least a couple of people are shaking their heads. One long-time coach, in an e-mail to the Sun, raised a number of interesting issues that bear revisiting.

"(Black) stated there is an 'unwritten' rule in the CFL that allows officials to reinstate possession of the ball to a team when the officials deem that a turnover play was 'inconclusive' so far as their ability to call the play," wrote the coach. "There will be a bunch of league people interested to know this.

CONFUSING STATEMENT

"I know the rule book and there is no rule which speaks of this type of possession change. There are rules which specifically and in great detail do talk about changes in possession."

The most confusing statement Black made was that not every play in the CFL ends with a whistle.

Huh? How do players know when a play is over then?

Black said that it is possible for a play to end only in an official's mind.

"That is a killer of a comment," wrote the coach. "What? I have been on the (bleeping) sideline for a lot of years ... every play which legally starts ends with a whistle. Let me ask you this question: How does the clock operator know when the play ends if it ends only in an official's mind, as George Black states? Does the clock operator also 'mentally' note at the same moment the field official mentally notes that the play ended?

"Because, if after their conference they decide to change the call and award the ball to the team that had it at the beginning of the play, what time would they put on the clock?"

Without the benefit of video replay -- which we're led to believe still doesn't exist in the CFL -- how would the officials know how much time to put back on the clock?

Guess?