Maybe NOW we will have some accountability for the Refs

CFL To Hire New Director Of Officiating

Gerorge Black must not like his email being flooded.. he's stepping down, hoppefully the next guy can get this officiating nonsense figured out

TSN Link

I just hope we can get the same type of officiating as the Patriots are getting to be sure they go undeafeted. lol

lol… it’d be nice to be on the good end of calls sometimes for sure

Oh no, I just had a vision of Jake taking this position. Oh well, at least it would get him off the field.

It's not the refs it's the rules they have that prevents teams from covering their receivers. The Pats will get destroyed though this sunday and no way will they make it to the super bowl considering they're not built to play in the cold weather and Moss always does nothing in bad weather. Oh ya and if Buffalo had these rules 15 years ago they would have won 4 straight super bowls lol and both Dallas and Washington would have had 400 yards in roughing the passer penalities to go along with another 400 yards in pass interference penalities.

Don't count on the Refs ever getting any better....

(Halfthedistance) CFL To Hire New Director Of Officiating

Gerorge Black must not like his email being flooded.. he's stepping down, hoppefully the next guy can get this officiating nonsense figured out
TSN Link

Agreed! Officiating must improve and I don't say this because we have had so many terrible calls against us, (although we've certainly had more than we deserve) but also, because these bad calls are permeating the CFL.

I presume that officials don't make a lot of pay for what they do, but looking at the present crop of candidates for this job, they probably don't deserve a lot.

Given some of their pathetic calls, they should be purchasing their game tickets and working for nothing in many cases.

Bad calls can, as we have all noted, turn games around and even decide the winner.

This scenario shouldn't exist in pro sport and it must be improved at the minor league levels and the actual schooling and training levels.

re earl wrote-I just hope we can get the same type of officiating as the Patriots are getting to be sure they go undefeated. lol
lmao and just when they got nailed for spying plays lmao good one Earl, After they beat all nfl teams would they Dare play the G.C champs???

re snoopaloop
YES, i sincerely believe the NFL is over rated, It is no coincidence that the pats are undefeated after the controversy about their H.C- they will be called the best team in the world,the best team ever BLa Bla But i don't think so !M H O Football is a teeam sport and The Riders are a great team!!

I love the CFL and Canadian football. But if the Patriots, or any NFL team for that matter, were to play the Grey Cup champs, the NFL would win by a blowout. That is what happened when the CFL and NFL played some exhibitions in the 1950s and 60s, and that was in an era when the money differential was not nearly so great as it is now. The only CFL team to win one of those games was the Tiger-Cats, but that was against the Buffalo Bills in the very early years of the old AFL, not the NFL.

Love the CFL for what it is, but don't try to stack it up with the NFL head to head.

I'd love to see a "pro-bowl" style all star game between the two using CFL rules.

it'd never EVER happen.... but meh one can dream.

(watching 300ib LB's trying to cover Arland Bruce on a crossing route would be hillarious)

In the story on TSN it states

‘‘A fresh vision and new approach will help position us to fully realize our potential.’’

I don’t believe Jake fits that bill.

Name one 300 pound line backer? The majority of NFL line backers are 240 pounds who can run with Arland Bruce.

Hey guys: You've gone way off track.

Can you get back to CFL officiating?

Re rocky= sorry that topic should be in another thread, But- imho the Ticats whos have been partially a result of bad Calls and non Calls, . that's why Obie should give Greg Marshall(former cfl Coach of the Year a chance to redeem himself as Ticats DC and keep Taph as OC!

Levon Kirkland who is retired but was amazing. Adalius Thomas is 270 and has played corner as well as linebacker.

This article posted by Mark Spector in today's edition of the National Post is critical of CFL officiating yet it also provides a good perspective on the special challenges faced by CFL officials in comparison with their NFL counterparts.

""Monday, December 10, 2007

CFL officiating purely slapstick
Mark Spector, National Post
Published: Monday, December 10, 2007

John Mahoney / CanWest News Service
Mark Spector

The headline we saw this week: CFL launches search for new director of officiating.

The sub-head we missed: Larry, Moe, Curly early favourites for job.

How would you like to take on the job of restoring Canadians' faith in officiating the CFL? Sorry - restoring is the wrong word. How about "creating?"

And why straighten them out anyhow? Their slapstick has become a heritage gig; a national treasure through decades of semi-competence. Like the Air Farce, only funny.

But let's face it: the job is near impossible, and this past week the league fired its chanceless head of officials, poor old George Black. Somehow, he couldn't take a group of part-time officials, most making less than $1,000 per game, put them on a field that's 48% larger than an NFL field with increased passing and multiple players in motion at all times, and get results. Oh, and it takes a few weeks every season for all of the new American players to learn the rules.

You get to use instant replay, but by the way, TSN only brought three cameras tonight. The Leafs are playing.

"Continued progress in officiating will always be a mandate for the CFL," chief operating officer Michael Copeland said in a statement.

Ya think?"