Max Hall starting vs Tiger Cats

Burke must have a death wish on being a head coach.
Must want to be fired.

I think people read too much into a 40 character tweet. Of course Miller will want to know who the coach wants to go with and who he’s not interested in. An example is if Crowton won’t play Pierce anymore and wants him demoted to #3 then Kyle and Wade need to know by game nine. There is no point in hanging on to vets you won’t play. Might as well recoup that money to extend or sign players during the NFL cuts. Pierce is making at least 200k. You don’t have a 200k third string QB.

There is nothing abnormal in the new boss making his coaching staff accountable. “Who are we playing?” or not and “Why” are legitimate questions in getting to know his coaching staff and their decision making process and who is responsible for each decision. This also is the fair thing to do for the players. A guy like Crowton who’s playing his coaching career may be prone to throwing spaghetti at the wall.

I don’t have much pity for Burke or Crowton, they ganged up on Lapolice, then it appears like Crowton and Mack ganged up on Burke. Karma is a beeiatch :slight_smile:

What kind of head coach is so indifferent about his starting QB. It's only the most important position in the team.

Burke needs to realize that he not the defensive coordinator and he should maybe act like he cares about this stuff.

Burke knows his goose has been cooked and is simply playing out the string. Must be hard for anyone except Wade Miller to get into their job in Bomberland these days!

I think people read too much into a 40 character tweet. Of course Miller will want to know who the coach wants to go with and who he’s not interested in. An example is if Crowton won’t play Pierce anymore and wants him demoted to #3 then Kyle and Wade need to know by game nine. There is no point in hanging on to vets you won’t play. Might as well recoup that money to extend or sign players during the NFL cuts. Pierce is making at least 200k. You don’t have a 200k third string QB.

There is nothing abnormal in the new boss making his coaching staff accountable. “Who are we playing?” or not and “Why” are legitimate questions in getting to know his coaching staff and their decision making process and who is responsible for each decision. This also is the fair thing to do for the players. A guy like Crowton who’s playing his coaching career may be prone to throwing spaghetti at the wall.

I don’t have much pity for Burke or Crowton, they ganged up on Lapolice, then it appears like Crowton and Mack ganged up on Burke. Karma is a beeiatch :slight_smile:
[/quote]
Funny, you talking about reading too much into a tweet.
Actually my questions about who’s in charge have nothing to do with tweets. There’s the post practice Burke comments, the comments from the QBs, and the comments from the presser confirming that Buchko and Mack were both gone and it was affirmed that Miller would have full authority to do what he needs to do. Immediately after there’s a rather drastic and surprising change in the starting QB depth chart just a couple weeks after the last one. The timing of the decision makes it fair to wonder if either or both QB changes were mandated by coaching and/or management.

I don’t think there was a gang up on LaPo necessarily. Mack said he had discussions with several veteran players to get a feel of the locker room before LaPo was let go. Maybe he didn’t get the best advice or acted to quickly but what’s done is done. Frankly I’ve been less than impressed with LaPo on his TSN segments and when he talks about what he did as a coach, well most of what I hear from him justifies him being let go.

This is a very poor decision; Goltz has not had enough time to even qualify if he is not able to be the starter. They also moved him back down to third string and moved Pierce up to second string. I do not want to see another year like last year, our Head Coach should definitely be taking control of this decision and ensuring it is done right. It is his job if it is done wrong, even if Hall ends up being a great quarterback. We are alienating the rest of our team by saying "Look, even if you don't do anything wrong you may be demoted"

Hapless decision making and Knee-Jerk reactions are not what we need to get our team going. I would say Goltz had less of a problem than our O-Line that was defending the pocket. If they could protect the pocket Goltz might actually have been able to get more going on offense.

The new boss wants to know who to keep and who to cut/fire. Everyone get’s a shot I guess. When your playing .175 football your not risking anything IMO.

Iwas a little concerned when I heard of the switch but after some second thought and listening to the radio afair bit today I have warmed up to it a bit.It is not like Goltz was a dominating figure.He was just ok.Burke allowed the offence coaches to decide.Crowton's job hangs by a thread and Burke has allowed him to pick his poison.Plus there may be some Qbs coming available with NFL cuts and the impending expansion draft so lets see what we have.There have been a few interesting tidbits coming out the last few days.Much maligned but well informed Lawless said he knew for a fact Burke asked for a trade to get Kevin Glenn but Mack refused to give up a 2nd rounder.The other day he said his contacts in Toronto suggested they had heard Walters wanted to draft Edam (sp?) later drafted by Montreal.It goes back to what struck me last yearthat Mack had some GM talent but his arrogance would eventually sink him.

He also said the offensive coaHe’s the HC so the final decision should rest with him. But really his job previously as a DC was recognizing what good things a QB can do and attempt to neutralize them so he should be able to recognize what good things his own QBs are doing and should have input on the matter, particularly since he’s the HC. And to leave the decision in the hands of your OC who just after the last game commented on how he’s still got a lot to learn about how the CFL game is played? Basically he’s throwing the offensive staff under the bus and attempting to wash his hands of whatever happens on offense. It’s just bizarre to hear some of these comments.

That and poor work ethics.

As for Hall, on the coach’s show Burke said he, Miller and Walters met with the entire offensive coaching staff and asked who they thought should start and to a man they all said Hall.

Madani works for SportsNet. He wrote the article that was linked to by the OP.

The problem is that this is just more of the same.

1. Bring in some new QBs.
  2. Throw them to the wolves with no proper QB coaching, not enough time to learn the CFL, and craptacular play calling & game planning from Crowton.
  3. Declare that the QBs suck, because they fail in their first few games due to 2.
  4. Goto 1.

This only ends if you bring in some quality QB coaching and develop a guy long term, or sign a veteran free agent. At this point the Bombers might as well sign 6 QBs use dice to determine who is going to play. The chances of success would be no different then the gong show that management is putting on right now.

A lot of speculation and hand-wringing going on by people who don't have the facts straight and are listening to "he said, she said' rumours. First Mack is criticized for doing nothing and now the organization is again attacked for doing something and getting rid of him. Seems there is no way to win in the soap opera world of sports fans ! I prefer to wait and listen to the Bomber fans who have a knowledge of what is going on, instead of speculators who live hundreds of miles away.....Blue Blood, I appreciate your posts, but I don't know how you can keep on trying to correct the misinformation others keep spewing. Bravo and " Illegitimae non carborundum."

Part of the problem Dan is that the team itself is sending mixed signals so that no one really knows what's going on.

Burke says in one article that his expertise is the defence and he leaves the question of who starts at QB to the offensive guys, and in another article he says it was a joint decision with all expressing their views. Not technically contradictory I suppose, but darn close. Then you have Buck and Goltz complaining about being sat down and whining that no one has told them why. Burke annoints Goltz the starter from here on, and after only 2 games that's gone by the boards. Then the team says they want to win now and don't have the time to groom Goltz but in the same breath say that they are starting instead a guy who hasn't played a game in the CFL. It's bizarre.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13576/max-hall Here are Hall's NFL career stats.(not impressive at all)

Halls main claim to fame was that in his debut with the Cardinals,he led them to a huge upset over the defending Super Champion New Orlean Saints.The Cardinals won that game 30-20 that day,despite the fact that Hall did not even throw a T.D. pass. Halls stats for that game were 17-27-168 yds/0 t.ds/1 int./2 fmb. For his efforts he was chosen rookie of the week.His N.F.L career pretty much went into the crapper after that game,and he was released Aug.24/11.The Cardinals Q.B. situation that season suprisingly mirrors the B.B.'s of today,a carousel of epic proportions,the team went on to lose the next 7 games and finished at 5-11 for the season.Hall hasn't taken a snap in a meaninful game since 2010,some 2 1/2 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89aNbt3AEZ4 Remarkably similiar situation then and now.almost Da Javu like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-UB2HweXL4 Hall fumbles for a T.D.

MJ, I'm not denying there are problems and they need to be addressed, but if there was no controversy in Winnipeg, then where would the soap opera appear ? Wasn't there some problem with a HC in Montreal recently ? I didn't try to contribute on what I think they should have done and I didn't see too much speculation going on. It seems to be the same know-it-alls who think they have the answers. The team is trying to solve the problems and all the finger pointing is not going to help...And this too, shall pass.

Dan, it's the CFL ! There just has to be a soap opera somewhere in the league, doesn't there? :lol:

Sure there have been problems in Montreal and continue to be; and if you peruse the Montreal forums on here you'd see lots of speculation and opinions as to what has gone wrong and what should be done.

Winnipeg, Montreal, and Edmonton are all floundering at this point. Whether or not any of them gets their act together this season is an open question. At this point, the signs are telling me that all three of them are going to continue to flounder. Montreal fired their head coach; Winnipeg fired their GM and their CEO (or he resigned, or was placed on leave, whichever of those three versions you prefer). Only Edmonton has stayed the course so far, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some firings happening there at some point this season.

I think the only fans who can be happy with their teams' performances so far would be Saskatchewan and Calgary fans (maybe also Toronto). Hamilton and BC aren't the dysfunctional outfits that Winnipeg, Montreal, and Edmonton are so far, but they aren't playing terribly well either.

Agreed, I guess I’m just tired of the merry-go-round. Remember that I’m also a Leaf fan.

I won’t hold that against you :smiley:

If this works problem solved. That is all it will take to back on track is a QB that can play. Goltz is up and coming and I feel they think he is the future and maybe do not want to ruin him. As one lad said , hall has seen more action in the pro's and might be a bit more ready and mature.