Matte at LG

Your right it does not help in that. Also I do not think that the Als at this point would have him in the starting line up this year and will go with Matte. He would however likely be on the 46 man roster. probably as a healthy scratch each week unless there is an injury ahead of time that would place him in the starting line up. He has pretty much played every position on the Oline besides center in Montreal over his two years but with a new staff he also does not have the advantage of knowing the offense

The situation being what it is with the backups having zero experience. Ola would dress and depending on ratio flexibility may even start ahead of Matte.

If Ola starts, we have to find another NI starter somewhere else, a job made even more difficult by Emry's departure. To me, there's a big drop-off between an import receiver and the NI receivers we have, compared to the gap between Ola and Matte. I would start Matte so we can field the best team we can. Deslauriers or a 35-year-old Stala are not good starting NI options at this point.

I would have to agree. Matte will be the starting LG giving the All Canadian line and the flexibilty that goes with it. If they need depth at OG they will likely evaluate a guy like Baillargeon, Ryan White, players that may not have appeared to be ready last year but could have made strides. Find a one off year vet. Not going to have an Import playing OG again. They were really caught off guard last season with two injuries and were able to star Ola at OG with Messam at RB or Lavoi at TE when healthy and 2 ratio spots on defense.
I would have the faith that Popp will have at least one Canadian Option to be able to play OG. Now OT is a different monster and would/could put a strain on the ratio.
Also Popp may know a bit more than anyone about the status of Blake who could be in a make or break year in the NFL after two seasons the later 2013 being released by Denver and spending the season on the Cards PR.
Eventually they will need to find a second defender for the ratio. Brouillette may have to come out of that Utility role they like so much next season and move on past an aging Herbert. Edem or Lue one at safety and one at wILL. bUTLER, Hurl, Plesius are examples of Canadian players who are beginning to break through and be able to start at Will LB.
JMO

Matte has the inside track right now but if he can’t handle it, the Als would have to go to Ola or his replacement at this point. We may see Montreal pickup a guard at some point or we may get lucky and Philip Blake may show up.

Je trouve que jusqu'à maintenant, Matte se débrouille plutôt bien comme garde à gauche. Il n'a pas donné beaucoup de place à Mitchell ni à Taylor en tout cas.

Agreed. To date, I think the line has done fairly well in pass protection. I also like the way Matte run-blocks.