Matt Nichols Released by Argos

From our own CFL.ca:

TORONTO โ€” The Toronto Argonauts have released quarterback Matt Nichols, the team announced on Sunday.

Gotta wonder if this will be just the top of the iceberg as a number of players will be do their roster bonuses in the next few days before the start a free agency.
These kinds of player movements do nothing to market the league

2 Likes

They restructured others that had bonus due too.

Plus they resigned Speller after acquiring his rights out of Winnipeg last week.

Nichols ended up being undefeated as an Argo starter :wink:

1 Like

Im not sure why any owner would want to spend real money now.

1 Like

Not surprising, and I'd be willing to bet that the Argos are hoping the Redblacks can't reach an agreement with Arbuckle, then the Argos will go all in with him.

I'm liking the Argos moves so far in the last two off seasons, although I'm not sold on the coaching staff.

Interesting side note, #Argos is trending on Twitter. You don't see that everyday.

2 Likes

Arbuckle will sign in Ottawa. Argos have no QB. Good Luck. Whos captain on this sinking ship?

If Nick Arbuckle restructures in Ottawa, then Matt Nichols has no other CFL starting options. Whatever lowball offer the Argos made would still be greater than what anybody else would pay for his services.

Similarly as mentioned, the Argos do not have many options if they go a different direction. Hence, it would not surprise me if Nichols reluctantly re-signs with the Argos at some point.

None of that makes the Argos (or the league fir that matter) look very good in their local market. Not the best way to market your team/league as being worthy of being taken seriously.

However I totally could see him resigning as you mention unfortunately depending on what happens with Arbuckle in Ottawa

2 Likes

Just about every starting QB in the league restructured their contract. He obviously wanted to go to Ottawa. He knew by refusing to renegotiate his contract, he would be released.

1 Like

y'all know that this thread is counter productive to Sully's purpose for cfl.ca news forum. right?

Maybe Captain Crunch, but I'm thinking he bails before the mutiny?

I really hope this is technicality and that he may end up re-signing with the Argos anyway. I hope this does not mean he does not wish to play in T.O. and that, rather, it is just a paper pushing thing to reduce costs (can not blame them for that) by MLSE so he does not get any bonus for a season(s) that he has not even played yet with the Argos.....TSN news article indicated some sort of bonus issue under his contract.... Argonauts release veteran QB Nichols - Video - TSN

1 Like

That guy isn't even a captain. His uniform is horribly inaccurate.

#StolenValor

2 Likes

Let alone Count Chocula. He wasn't even royalty or a vampire

1 Like

Oh well I have to disagree that he does not have some credentials as an officer, for many sources say that Captain Crunch has quite the CV as ...
a Cereal Killer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

/shuffles left, shuffles right, shuffles left off stage

1 Like

Yeah and what about that dastardly fake leprechaun who was about as Irish as a bar of Irish Spring?

What about Snap Crackle and Pop? They work a second job as a Kebler Elf?

1 Like

Agreed - that Sesame Street Count was for real I tell you. He's way better than was that rotten ol' Vlad too.

Objection overruled

2 Likes

I wanted the Count on Sesame Street recite pie(3.14) to the nigh

1 Like