Masoli VS Evans

I thought this could be a fun discussion now that some time has gone by.
There is a good chance the Ticats will have both players on their roster, but then it becomes a matter of who you would prefer to start.
Here are the rules.
1-Assume Masoli is 100% healthy
2-Contract Dollars don't matter. In terms of "We are paying Masoli starter money , so he should be the starter" type talk.
3-Assume they are both good quarterbacks. Saying one "sucks" isn't really a discussion.
4-Don't make it personal between us group members. Play nice.
If the Tigercats could only play one QB in 2021 who would you want to lead our team?

My vote goes to Masoli. I think he adds the extra element of running with the ball and he seems to have cut down many of the dumb interceptions if you look at what he did in 2018 and part of 2019.

Evans. Younger and faster learner.

1 Like

I want both, It is truly a Sophies choice for me!
In this League you absolutely need 2 capable starting QB's.
Would lean more to Masoli based on experience.
You know what you have got in Masoli
Dane Evans has a massively huge upside that we probably haven't even seen - YET!

3 Likes

Evans is more well-rounded for sure, but Masoli's arm is better IMO, and he has the mobility you want in a CFL QB.

I go with Masoli unless he plays himself out of the starter position, or unless Evans dominates in training camp, and plays himself into it.

As I have said before, I’m a firm believer that if you are returning healthy, you do not lose your position due to injury. Any replacement has to earn the job by out-performing you.

3 Likes

I agree with Palmer and hope, but at the same time doubt, that this suggested Hamilton New Year's resolution can be kept. It's taken from an article, written for cfl.ca by Pat Steinberg of Sportsnet radio in Calgary, in which he presents a 2021 resolution for each CFL team.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats: No quarterback controversy

I’m not sure how things are going to shake down at quarterback in Hamilton this season. We know Dane Evans is under contract after leading the Tiger-Cats to the Grey Cup in 2019. Evans took over for Jeremiah Masoli in Week 7 after the latter sustained a season-ending knee injury. As of right now, however, Masoli isn’t under contract. That said, knowing Hamilton signed him ahead of the 2020 season, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Masoli back.

Whatever happens, though, I hope it goes forward without a ton of friction. This Ticats team has the potential to be one of the league’s most explosive once again, regardless if it’s Evans or Masoli at the helm. Reigning Most Outstanding Player Brandon Banks is back in the fold. Fellow receivers Bralon Addison and Jaelon Acklin are back, too. If all goes according to plan, this could be another fun year in Hamilton. A quarterback controversy likely isn’t part of that plan, though.

1 Like

Need to see how Masoli has healed up before making that decision.

Both QBs will succeed in our system.

Please, giant asteroid, come soon.

1 Like

I prefer zombies. That’s what I was hoping for with this pandemic…

1 Like

Dr. Drew got the covid . He said that chance was as good as being hit with a meteorite . Hopefully the good doctor hasn’t lost his house .

Pat Lynch (last night I made a mountain out of mashed potatoes)

1 Like

Just don’t build one in your living room

3 Likes

I would say to keep both. Everyone knows that bodies will go down during the duration of the season. I'd rather have 2 Quarterbacks than an unproven / shaky backup Quarterback coming in relieve due to bad play / injury.

Masoli deserves to be the starter. He has been there longer. No disrespect to Evans. He did one hell of a job in relief to Masoli's injury. Masoli has gotten better ever since he became a full time starter back I believe in 2016.

Although Evans had a great year, he still has to prove himself in his 2nd season. I think he has all the tools to become a great Quarterback in this league. You don't want to jump the gun and assume that he will duplicate his success. It's happened to good Quarterbacks in the past.

One recent example as an Argonauts fan was when we got James Franklin. His numbers were good as a backup to Mike Riley in Edmonton. When he came here he struggled dramatically. With the Argonauts signing Matt Nichols, I'd like to see them also resign McCloud Bethel - Thompson. He did a lot better with Toronto than Franklin. Bethel - Thompson to me just has to clean up some of his interceptions. Other than that I'm sure he is a good problem to have.

Anytime you can get a 1 - 2 punch, it will only make your team better.

3 Likes

If it will end threads like this it cant come fast enough.

When the Nuclear Bomb alarms/sirens accidently went off in Hawaii 3 years ago , Coach Jones took off his shoes and started playing a round of golf instead of heading home (true story). I wouldn’t think a thread like this would bother him much. Masoli and Evans are both good “kids” either way.

1 Like

Well, if you’re going to be annihilated in the next few minutes, why not go out doing something you enjoy?

1 Like

I don’t get the taking off his shoes thing? Didn’t want the soles to melt onto his feet?

1 Like

Well, he would look pretty funny wearing shoes with no pants.

2 Likes

He golfs barefoot. Apparently it’s a thing.

Do facts bother you ? :grinning:

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

1 Like