Marv Levy guest coach

Yes I know its herb’s article but seeing how I heard it from other sources(radio, TV)…

[url=http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/sports/alouettes/story.html?id=c4a46cf9-1c36-403d-9000-0a1f6cd8ffdd]http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/n ... 1f6cd8ffdd[/url]
Levy to visit Als' coaches Legendary coach will be guest at Alouettes' training camp next month HERB ZURKOWSKY, The Gazette Published: Friday, May 09, 2008 Marv Levy, one of the most successful coaches in Alouettes' history, is returning to the organization - albeit briefly - to instill words of wisdom and offer sage advice.

The 82-year-old Levy will be a guest of the organization next month at training camp, The Gazette has learned. But Levy yesterday denied he was being brought in to serve as a guest coach.

“I’m a guest, but I don’t know if you can say it’s to coach,” Levy said from his Chicago home. "I was asked to come up and visit the coaches. One day, I’ll say something to the players. It’s important to implant some of the Alouettes’ tradition in them.

Marv Levy, former Alouettes, Buffalo Bills and Kansas City Chiefs coach, will be a guest at the Als’ training camp next month.
Reuters file photo

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font: ****“I was complemented and pleased to be asked.”

Levy spent five seasons as Montreal’s head coach, from 1973 until '77, leading the team to three Grey Cup appearances and two championships. Levy, who also served as general manager in 1974, departed with an overall coaching record of 43-31-4. He was named the Canadian Football League’s coach of the year in '74.

Levy has fond memories of his time in the league, and admits it was the perfect apprenticeship for his lengthy and distinguished career as a National Football League head coach. Following the Als’ second Cup victory, in '77, he received offers from Kansas City, Washington and St. Louis, ultimately deciding upon the Chiefs.

Levy coached Kansas City from 1978-82, but is best remembered for his years in Buffalo. In 11-plus seasons, he led the Bills to a 112-70 record and is the franchise’s winningest coach. He guided the Bills to four consecutive Super Bowl appearances, beginning in 1990, but Buffalo lost each championship game.

He was lured out of retirement by the Bills in 2006, replacing fired GM Tom Donahoe. Buffalo went 7-9 each of the last two seasons, failing to make the playoffs. Levy resigned last January, although he had the option of renewing his contract.

Levy said he’s familiar with new Als head coach Marc Trestman from the latter’s years of NFL service, stating he has much respect for Trestman’s reputation. Levy, like Trestman, was a CFL neophyte when he ventured north.

“First of all, you won’t get it all (CFL rules) at once,” Levy cautioned. “You have to learn from the people in the league and the players. The rules are different, but the same things are applied to winning. If you run, throw, block, tackle, catch and kick better than the opponent, you’re going to win.”

Levy said the ability to teach, regardless of personality, is one of the key components to becoming a successful head coach. He said the coach must work well with others in the organization. “And you must be a straight-shooter,” he added. “Don’t B.S. the players.”

Levy expects to arrive at the Fort St. Jean campus, the Als’ training camp site, on June 10, more than a week into camp, and will spend the remainder of the week with the team. Montreal hosts Toronto in an exhibition game, June 12.

“I’m not trying to go and make a major address. That’s not my plan,” he said. "But I will tell them how much I enjoyed and treasured the experience. I have great memories.

“Although they’re getting paid to play, they should also remember to keep it fun.”

Notes - According to a published report, the Als are close to signing former Detroit Lions wide-receiver Charles Rogers, selected second overall in the 2003 draft. Rogers, 27, was once suspended for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy. … Quarterback Ricky Santos has been released by Kansas City. His agent, Brad Blank, told the New Hampshire Union Leader the Als have expressed an interest in Santos.

He made some very interesting comments. Thanks for that Ro. I've always thought of Levy as one of the greats.

Excellent read, thanks again for the article.

Marv Levy is a gentleman and a scholar. Good for him and the Als. Classy.

kel

Its good to see him come back. NFL exec comming back to CFL as a guest. Very Classy.

If only my man Frank Reich was the lead pivot for the 'Bills, they may have actually won a super bowl. Kelly was horrible!!! JMHO.