MARSHALL AND BERRY FIRED! MILLER NEW HC

[quote="Thryllin"]It's not like firing guys is going to cost us any potnetial wins, so why wait? No need to wait.

[quote]

:thup:

Marshall is gone because he lost the locker room, if he ever had it in the first place. I thought Berry would be gone because same-old, same-old just wasn't working anymore and there was a disconnect between him and DD that had to be eliminated. Now it's on the players to stop with the damn whining and pouting, and step up and play football like you can. The excuses are gone. Now it's all up to you to get ready to play or get ready to hit the road.

Disagree. Whether or not he had the room is irrelevant. If Getzlaf catches that TD in the last minute, Marshall and Berry are still employed. This is a 100% scapegoat move of the highest order. It's gutless and it's disgusting and I am HORRIBLY disappointed in the management of my team.

Stupidity reigns and this is a black, black sick day.

I think there were firings either way, but we will never know. Maybe not 2, but 1 for sure. changes were required. Watch Miller's full interview. What he says makes a lot of sense.

You can not go from a cup contender for the past few years to this by losing only a few players and expect heads not to roll.

I think there were firings either way, but we will never know. Maybe not 2, but 1 for sure. changes were required. Watch Miller’s full interview. What he says makes a lot of sense.

You can not go from a cup contender for the past few years to this by losing only a few players and expect heads not to roll.

I totally disagree, this decision was not made based on a dropped pass by Getzlaf. That is simply ridiculous. This is based on what they saw over the first 8 games of the year. We cut Barett/Shivers after we had won a game, so the scapegoat logic doesnt fly. The team sucked and the locker room was lost

I think there were firings either way, but we will never know. Maybe not 2, but 1 for sure. changes were required. Watch Miller's full interview. What he says makes a lot of sense.

Also, that pass, while catchable, can not fairly be deemed a drop. The defender got a hand on it right in front of Getz's face...and as most here would attest, I am not exactly the biggest Getz supporter, so I think from me that is probably a fairly fair statement.

I say "Welcome back Ken Miller!!!" too bad Greg Marshall...I believed in you & followed from the start, but when you said on the post game show after the last home game that you did not know what to say to your team to motivate them anymore, your time was up....coaching is all about motivation...as for Doug Berry??? Good Riddance...you weren't able to communicate with DD who apparently needs a lot of babysitting & cannot think on his feet...maybe Dinwiddie needs to start a game or two....at least the rookie mistakes can be blamed on a rookie....to Darian....try throwing the ball to 10 yards instead of the 5 yard under coverage throws...trust your receivers...they will make you look good if you trust them to do their part...try Clermont more often...he's a good player with lots of experience...to Richie Hall...I think your place is on the sidelines & your assistant up in the booth...your defense needs encouragement face to face with you all during the game......................Go Riders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No you misread me. What I meant by the Getzlaf catch reference was that was if the Riders had won the game they would not have been able to pull the trigger on the HC.

It's a scapegoat. The team was losing because it didn't have the proper personnel. The coaching staff was hung out to dry when the other 7 teams in the league had better depth charts to work with. Scapegoat tactic fits perfectly with all the other moves this year. Kornegay - scapegoat. Mullinder - scapegoat. Marshall/Berry - scapegoat. Shivers/Barrett cannot be compared to this. Shivers was fired because of a personality conflict with Hopson. Barrett was let go at the end of the season when his contract ran out and Tillman brought in his own guy.

Today's move is the most obvious and blatant scapegoat move in recent sports memory.

Even Miller himself admits that he doesn't know why this roster can't win. That's preposterous. They don't have a single decent pass rusher or a single decent man coverage DB in the entire organization. THAT's why they're not winning. That's personnel ops failure, NOT coaching.

This is a classic scapegoat fire.

Also, that pass, while catchable, can not fairly be deemed a drop. The defender got a hand on it right in front of Getz’s face…and as most here would attest, I am not exactly the biggest Getz supporter, so I think from me that is probably a fairly fair statement.

why is the board so screwy? posts are not in order…

Don't get me wrong. Getz didn't drop the pass. That was a good defensive knockdown. I also think that it could easily have been pass interference. Getz was pushed at least as hard or harder than he did to Marsh in BC. But Getz was also offside on the play. Hey I thought Getz had a great game actually. he showed a lot of heart and made some big plays.

And yes the posts are totally screwy. I'm not sure what is managed worse, the Riders front office or this board. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes but Barret's team was not in these kinds of shambles....it was bad, but not like this. Yeah, a win may have saved Marshall for the time being...gotta admit that.

As for the Tad and Luc thing...If Miller spoke the truth, which we have no reason to think otherwise because he either says the bottom line or nothing, the main reason those guys left was to free up cap. Yeah, I am sure there were other factors as well...there usually are.

When Miller says he does not understand why this roster isnt winning I read that as 'this team won well in the past, why not now' BTW...i think the line played well most of the game (about 2/3rds) and Tearrius looked pretty good.

Sorry about the multiple repeat posts on a couple threads. I posted, it did not show up, then I scrolled back and saw it posted a few posts back. These boards have been so wonky the passed few days!

Despite the fact that I'm a Ticats fan, I'm totally appalled by Greg Marshall's firing! The Riders' record is definitely not his fault. I'm actually surprised that Taman released Doug Berry, since it's been widely known that they are good buddies from their days in Winnipeg. This whole problem really falls on Taman, and I'm hoping that one day, the team's President, Jim Hopson, will realize this and take the necessary steps against Taman. Does Taman and the rest of the Riders organization really think that Ken Miller is going to single-handedly go in and save this team from ending this season in last place? The only reason Miller was able to do it successfully before is because of the quality players that Eric Tillman gave to him to work with (many of which they currently do not have this season, for various reasons). That is the ultimate key to this whole debacle. Taman has not been able to get the same level of quality players that Tillman was able to get, and thus the team is now suffering. Greg Marshall definitely deserves better than this. This may sound crazy, but I would even trade Marcel Bellefeuille for Greg Marshall as our Head Coach! I like Marshall far better than Bellefeuille. This is totally shameful on the part of Brendan Taman and his cronies. :?

Been going on since last year. It's really common in the "CFL talk" area. Here's a thread about it. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67195

Good to see someone woke up and brought a leader back , now the sights are back on Durant it's hammer time and time to win some games first lets crush winnipeg then set sights on the grey cup GO RIDERS

I called for it from the beginning of the season. Besides my observations negatively of Berry in Wpg days and what I always perceived as a non-winner nature in Marshall, this was not a well picked match up of coaches. Yes, I agree, this should reflect on Taman ....and Miller, as well, in the capacity of a VP of operations. At least Taman shaved and cleaned himself up for the interview. He dressed like a bum when he was GM in Wpg.
These firings were on the whole great decisions. That I have to give this mgt respect for...at least they didn't stubbornly hold on to mistakes they hired. I think we will see a different team on the field the next time they play. I expect better game plans and execution....and NOW is the time for RH to stand up and be the defensive coach I know he can be. By next season he might be ready to take over the Head Coach job. The World seems a little Greener today!!

Agree with both moves, it at least shows the org is trying something. Need someone to motivate this team, and Marshall couldn’t do it. RH is safe for now cause the D is coming around.

Too bad it didn't work out for Marshall and I don't buy that he can't be a good head coach. He will somewhere else. Although it seems to be true that head coaches are a major reason for a team being disciplined or not I still find it absolutely ridiculous. Are these guys not adults? How is it possible that you want to win yet you don't mind taking completely controllable and uneccessary 15 yard penalties? Yes that does hurt your team and I will not blame Greg Marshall for that stupidity.

there is some validity in that, but, there was a lack of reccognition in the short punts during Eddie's last game. That should have been addressed by Marshall and the ST coaches, and the down field coverage adjusted...they were running downfield at speeds they were coached to...those penalties are on coaching, not players.
Repetitive time counts, those are significantly on coaching...for the Riders it seemed like communications issues, something never addressed.
Repetitive holding on ST plays should result in personnel adjustments. This is more on the HC than the ST Coordinator. the STC works with the personnel given to him, the HC needs to make adjustments.
Moving Hill inside took too long.
Essentially taking Getz out of a game (he was played, only thrown at 2 times) took too long after all of those drops.
Trying to force the ball to struggling rookies and not using JC...that is on him to.

You add up sloppy coaching, and it translates to sloppy play, which translates to sloppy penalties. A player who sees mediocrity being accepted will do so themself in time. While I feel Marshall still can be a great coach, it did not work out for him here...I still think some of the staff surrounding him was his downfall...again, at the end of the day that is on him. I believe Berry was a fairly easy call (lowest scoring O...something has to give), Marshall harder, but the ship was sinking and I can't fault them for starting clean either....like another poster said, it is not going to cost them at this point, so why not? Marshall made some strange comments on motivation, and it did appear that if you did not conform immediately you were gone...period. He said they needed leadership, but anyone who voiced up got knocked down.

Marshall, Berry, Taman, Dinwiddie, Simpson....and others. I guess if you hire people who were part of a losing team (Bombers) a few years back, you have to ask yourself why it would be different this time around. Rider fans have a team that looks a lot like the 2006/7 Blue Bombers. I hear Mike Kelly is available for a coaching gig! :roll: