Marsh still in a world of hurt

Marsh still in a world of hurt
By JONATHAN HUNTINGTON, EDMONTON SUN

The Edmonton Eskimos will likely have a huge hole in the linebacking core when training camp starts in 15 days.

After tearing the ACL in his left knee in the Grey Cup game, Steven Marsh is nowhere near ready to play.

"I couldn't run right now if I had to," said Marsh, the club's starting SAM linebacker.

HE WON'T BE READY

Barring a surprising recovery, he will not be ready for the start of the season and could miss the first 10 games. In fact, Marsh admits he could miss the entire year.

"I'm in no condition to come to camp," he remarked, "and I'm just trying everything I can do to help the process."

The 26-year-old North Carolina native is putting his left leg through eight hours of therapy almost every day in Alabama, trying to break up scar tissue. With no timeline for his return to action, Eskimo head coach Danny Maciocia is hoping Marsh will fly to Edmonton to be examined by team doctors.

"He's an important player for us, not only on the field but in the locker-room," said Maciocia.

RESHUFFLE THE DECK

The situation means there could be an interesting reshuffling of the deck.

Maciocia is considering moving halfback Shannon Garrett to Marsh's spot.

If that happens, the Esks could start the year with Keyuo Craver and Malcolm Frank on the corners with Donny Brady and Reggie Durden at halfback.

Gerald Dixon is another candidate to fill Marsh's spot. Maciocia also admits some new faces will vie for the job.

FINISH LINES: LBs Sherrod Coates and Andre Sommersell have signed with the team, but neither will compete for Marsh's position. Sommersell - whom the coaching staff will watch closely - could push Singor Mobley.