Marquee Player

What is your take?

Does that mean pay him whatever you want and it doesn't go against the cap? If so I would be all over that one. There would only be a few teams that would be able to afford a stupid salary, and I happen to cheer for one of them. :lol:

Just about ruined the league the first time. Would probably stop watching the CFL if that happened again.

Just increase the salary cap by $1m or more for next year.

mostly I am against it, except that we may never have had the pleasure of Doug Flutie in the CFL. so I dont know....

I guess I would be for it if the league could survive it, but otherwise, no.

Economically, I think it would be bad for the league

:thup: :thup: Minimum wage @ 100,000 and top end @ 600,000 would be ideal right now. I'm thinking the revenues are there to do it with the new TSN deal, if not yet, then in 2 years when all the logistics of proposed new stadiums and Ottawa franchise going strong are complete.

^^More or less what I was thinking. $100k minimum would see more players - import and non-import - see the CFL as a viable career where a second and/or off-season job isn't an absolute necessity, and the extra pay would legitimize the CFL's desire to go to a seven hour workday from the current five. Being able to pay your QB as much or more as he'd get as a backup in the NFL could keep CFL stars around longer. Generally I think you'd see the better players staying around longer, building greater fan loyalty and following.

Wow, do you realize how much that would put the average CFL team in the hole even with the additional TV revenue? To be able to put those kinds of numbers together you would have to more then double the current salary cap which quickly puts teams in the red.

I disagree. We don't actually know how much money the privately owned teams are making or losing. But a quick calculation shows that the picture is not as bleak as some would like to believe. Taking an average attendance of 28,000 at an average ticket price of $40 (as per Stamps Prez Ted Hellard's statement ca. 2008 that their average ticket price at $37 was below the league average) over ten games gives a figure of $11.2m. Add the approximately $4m in TV revenues next season and you're now at $15.2m. Using just those sources of revenue and implementing a salary cap of 50% of revenues (as most leagues seem to be moving to) leads me to suspect that the league could move to a cap of ~$7.6m without batting an eye. And that's not counting league or individual team corporate sponsorships (in the late 2000s, teams were expected to have at least $2.5m in corporate sponsorships), nor parking and concessions revenue (which Sports Illustrated estimated as 25-40% of ticket revenue), nor merchandising revenue nor luxury suite rental. As for the two teams supposedly losing so much money, the TiCats have a new stadium with all its attendant revenue streams next year, and the Argos - well, David Braley seems to think it's worth putting his own money towards a new suburban stadium, so I'll trust his judgement.

So I think the league can afford a dramatic increase in players' salaries; though it doesn't necessarily follow that doubling the minimum would double the overall amount paid to players, they could afford to do it or to come close.

I think the players should get a raise as the league's revenues increase, but I think creating stability (and with it, the environment for successful expansion) is more important.

We're getting Ottawa in the league next year, which will create 40+ jobs for the CFLPA, so players should be happy with that development.

Let's allow all 9 teams to turn a profit and start building some rainy-day savings funds before we start drastically increasing the payroll. As things stand now, players don't have many options. The NFL will always be first choice. After that, if they want to keep playing pro football, the CFL is still the best choice.

Nope, not a good idea... I would say keep things the way they are, the league is stronger now than it ever has been, so why go back to something that doesn't work?

It was the stupidest idea anyone on the board of governors ever came up with in the history of the league.

We have large disparities in payroll budgets from team to team so we will have a salary cap of $2.1M to even out the spending. But, oh by the way, if you happen to have 3 or 4 million, go ahead and throw the extra 1 or 2 million at a star QB and he'll be exempt, and the 2 or 3 teams that actually only have 2.1M will have no chance to ever sign a star QB.

Yea, the word I would like to use to describe the marquee player rule starts with R and is banned on this forum. :stuck_out_tongue:

Stop right there. If you admit that you don't have any revenue numbers then how can you possibly claim that the money for a proposed massive payroll hike is there?

Go dig up some real numbers and get back to us. :wink:

Dumb idea (coming from a fan of a team who could likely pay a lot for a "marquee player").

The salary cap exists to create a level playing field. There's no reason anyone should be paid more than what top QBs are being paid now (1/2 a mil a season) for the time being. It's not like we are losing top QBs to the NFL. If we were, I could see how this argument might be relevant.

true FYB.
Flutie, arguably the greatest and most dynamic QB in CFL history, would not have played Canadian ball without the marquee provision in place.

simply put, if the money is there, then why not.
If not, then don't.

It has to make fiscal sense.

How so? Flutie never came into the league as a Marquee player. Sure, he bacame one, but he started as a backup. As he did not sign up from day one with such statues, I don't see how this statement is relevant.

I'm pretty sure Flutie did come in as a marquee player, making a million per, IIRC.

Having said that, I also think he was done in the NFL at that point and would've had no other league to play in, so he might've been brought in at a fraction of that million had the marquee rule not been in place.

Without the marquee rule, however, we would never have gotten Rocket Ismail in the league.

Flutie was deemed a marquee player when he came into the league.

In 1990, BC paid Flutie a then unheard of $350,000 rookie contract, without ever having played a down in the CFL and by far the highest paid player in the league, and $1 million per year thereafter throughout his career here, at a time when veteran CFL QB's made only $140-$150,000 or so per.

Flutie would have pulled a higher salary as an NFL backup, had the marquee provision not been accorded by the CFL.

There are several reasons why this idea is a bad idea but the most obvious is that the salary requirements to sign a marquee player has risen too far beyond affordability. Marquee NFL players are making as much or more as the CFL salary cap for the full roster in the other league. Back ups in the NFL make as much as some of the higher paid CFLers. Even at $1 million annual you're looking at comparable to what, 3rd round draft picks in the NFL? The big difference between when Flutie came into the CFL and now is the way NFL salaries have skyrocketed which has made this idea unrealistic. If you do implement this idea today you're going to have average or back up NFLers being "marquee" up here. That makes the CFL look more minor league to the casual observer than just a different league and may only serve to drive the casual fans away.

The league is better served raising the cap and the rookie minimums to act as an enticement. The only other thing I would consider is a salary cap exempt franchise player designation. This would allow teams to take an elite player that's been with the team say for at least 3 years and has turned into a face of the franchise and pay them at a higher wage. This does two things, make it easier to give some guys a higher payday and maybe you avoid a situation like Chris Williams and second it frees up more money under the cap to spread around to some of the upper level players. I think you still need to put a max cap on that type of player, say around $500K. Giving GMs any form of a blank check is asking for a disaster. And lets face it, with the way the NFL is scouting the CFL and CIS these days, some sort of system to allow teams to help retain top young players or bring some of the NI's home sooner so they're not bouncing around or waiting on the NFL for extended periods like Giguere and Corey Mace did may be a good idea.

[b]wolverine29 wrote: The league is better served raising the cap and the rookie minimums to act as an enticement. The only other thing I would consider is a salary cap exempt franchise player designation. This would allow teams to take an elite player that's been with the team say for at least 3 years and has turned into a face of the franchise and pay them at a higher wage. This does two things, make it easier to give some guys a higher payday and maybe you avoid a situation like Chris Williams and second it frees up more money under the cap to spread around to some of the upper level players. I think you still need to put a max cap on that type of player, say around $500K. Giving GMs any form of a blank check is asking for a disaster. And lets face it, with the way the NFL is scouting the CFL and CIS these days, some sort of system to allow teams to help retain top young players or bring some of the NI's home sooner so they're not bouncing around or waiting on the NFL for extended periods like Giguere and Corey Mace did may be a good idea.[/b]
excellent suggestions wolverine.