Marquee player designation

I have to disagree with Tebow ; it would have been good for the CFL to have seen him succeed or fail in our league .

How does this differ now with paying your star QB 400,000 to 500,000 now or
10 percent of your full cap ?

Excluding them from the cap actually brings down resentment and it no longer hurts the overall cap and may help in retaining players and having a little more
stabilization in player movement .

I agree that a running "make it happen" player like Tebow that didn't have a real strong arm like Flutie, but could make things happen, would have been good for both Tebow and the CFL and agree that the groundwork should be made, if possible, to try and get this type of player asap into the CFL after college. A player that the NFL deems just not quite "NFL like". Definitely have to agree with that.

ZC is actually above 500, as is Reilly.

Again…what is the point in this if you are already essentially there? Increase the SMS and be done with it. Try something like this and the PA is going to absolutely destroy you with it in the next CBA. “oh, you want to give us 50k a year more but just introduce a 700k expense addition to the cap but nobody gets a piece of it…how bout you eat it” or something like that. If I am in the PA and I see them adding a 700k expense like this then I see no issues on them adding 1.5mil (about double this single wage) to the SMS and if the CFL doesn’t agree…no football. This is the kind of crap that sends a player over the top and smashing through the deep end. If you are an existing starting QB and you dont get that spot you are looking elsewhere next contract as well.

Why would the union disagree with a raise ? When you eliminate one player from the equation you get a raise in the cap for everybody else .

I see the opposite happening and more slices of pie to carve up with the hog having it’s own pie .

The CFLPA will not turn down a possible $500,000 raise in the cap .

If anything what we need is a cap on what is the max teams pay to one individual. When you look at the SMS and the size of the roster, a starting QB I would peg that at somewhere like 7 to 8 percent of the pie. Right now some of these guys are grabbing 10 percent of a fairly small pie. 8 percent at the current SMS ceiling would be around $444 000.00

League has a Minimum but no Maximum... Why?

If the league and the CFLPA were smart and really wanted to increase player retention and players dedicated to the league. They would put in place escalators based on continuous years of service. Let's take a QB for example. 0-3 years max he can make is 5% of the CAP. 4 to 6 years 6.5% of the CAP. Over six years maybe 8%

So when a player has to think if he wants to try his luck on an NFL PR. He would have to weigh what his seniority has earned him in the equation. Let's say your Jennings. If you stay you can score let's say $333.000.00 on your next contract. If you leave when you return the max you can ask for is $277.500.00, you project that over 3 years, the player has to decide if that lottery ticket is worth 200k

You don't make it prohibitive but you reward loyalty and investment by the player into the league. Would also bring along more continuity because players wouldn't be flipping jerseys for 25k, which would improve the quality of the game.

Yes I believe an increase this way would improve stability in rosters . It is an issue that should be addressed .

The careers are so short already and the affiliation to the team’s players breeds loyalty in the fan .

I also hate the nickel and dime 25k can’t afford him excuse .

Terrible idea. A better idea would see the team salaries increase by a few hundred thousand over the next few years and add another few roster spots on to each team (45). Increase the CFL minimum salary by $5,000 or so. This of course would be dependent on how well the CFL improves its revenue sources.

It would better IMO if the cap was set at a percentage of league revenues rather than exempting players.

I agree with most of everything you say but when MLS brought David Beckham to LA ( since then the marquee rule was called the Beckham rule ); him and his wife brought media attention to the MLS that was paid back to the league ten fold .

They have been successful in growth whether we like their economic model or not .

I am not in favour.
Other than Flutie was there any success with the marque player.
Ismail had some success, but other than that, didn't most teams just raised their starting Qb's salaries.

NFL is paying too much money right now. No starting NFL Qb is coming to the CFL. Most backups in the NFL are a bust.

Kapernick (I am a long time 49ers fan) not a chance. Even before his protests, I didn't feel he was a starting QB.
Manziel, is going to be a huge mistake. He might have some of the physical attributes of Flutie, but does not have the compete or character.
Tebow, no thanks. Only pro success he had was with Denver, and it was more due to the Broncos having a dominant defence.

Tebow was never given a chance with the Jets . Lot of it had to do with his personality . I remember when Ricky Ray was with the Jets he was never given a chance either . It's a numbers game in the NFL and with their minimum creeping up the CFL needs to adjust with the economic times .With the real possibility of extreme head injuries especially as a QB is left in a vulnerable position the wage needs to reflect the influence on the game and the risk reward for quality applicants .

Dave Dickenson wasn't given a chance with the Chargers , Seahawks , Dolphins and Lions but seem to pick up where he left off when he came back .

As the NFL minimum keeps moving up the CFL needs to be cognizant of that and retain and find new talent on a sliding scale .

Again this is not about signing Tom Brady as he is today it's signing a Tom Brady lost in the masses of US football who was overlooked . Brady was drafted in the 6th round of the NFL draft . He was considered the greatest steal in NFL history .

The owners successfully negotiated that away from the players and aren’t about to give that up without something major coming back to them.

I can see them wanting the proposed marquee player rule instead as it would cost them less overall.

Remember though, during the Flutie/Ismail era, almost no teams could afford to go after any marquee players as they were hemorrhaging money big time. Even the two that did go after Flutie and Ismail (Lions & Argos) were awash in a sea of red ink. In fact, even the league itself was broke. Only 1 franchise made any money.

None of that is the case today. Teams are awash in cash (for the most part), and big-name players will boost interest in the leagues biggest markets where unfortunately the league does not enjoy widespread appeal and CFL stars are overshadowed by “bigtime” players from other sports .

Not in favour of "bigtime players", because the CFL wouldn't get any legitimate players.
There are players with "big names" and there are "players"
The Kapernicks, Manziel, Teebow are big names but not big players. You would only get a short term bump in interest. Mostly due to the fact if you can't read defenses in the NFL or throw a proper out pattern, you won't be able to in the CFL.
The top CFL players, are generally ones that don't fit the NFL mold or don't fit with teams that show interest, but still have the will, character and ability to play.

Plus to hold these players, for more than a couple of years if they actually showed some talent, the cost would be too much unless the CFL steps in and gets their sponsors and partners to make side deals.

I think Kapernick’s game would do well in the CFL. Jury’s still out on the other 2, but even their name will bring in the crowds.
The bump in interest would be great for a guy like Kapernick as the only reason the guys not currently on an NFL roster is politics. If ESPN covers the signing, then you can guarantee a bump in interest in Toronto. Sad perhaps, but its just the way it is. The mystique of having a guy like that in your league goes a long way (especially in the big cities). Kevin Glenn is selling no extra seats in Toronto or Vancouver. These other guys will (no matter how long they’re in the league provided they do well on the field).

having Marquee players would make very little difference in attendance. the 90s showed us that. if they wont come for the likes of gretzky, candy, and flutie, then they wont show much for anyone else.

otoh, the cost of marquee players hurt the league financially and would do so again.

the better thing to do would be to give new immigrants free tickets to the first season they are here. educate them on the game and the game experience and get them acclimated to the CFL.