Marketing

For the last few weeks the Ti-Cats have been aggressively promoting season tickets for next year - with tickets as low as $19.00 per game.

I became a Ti-Cats fan for life largely because from the time I was 12 years old in 1972 - I was given cheap season tickets (along with my brother and two cousins) every year as a Christmas gift by 3 of my Aunts. All those years of having fun at every game in the east end zone at the old Ivor Wynne Stadium made me a Cats fan for life.

So because of my own personal experience I recognize that this is a GREAT idea - making it affordable for families to get their kids hooked on the game.

That offer ends today but they are still promoting their Christmas special of two bronze tickets and a Ti-Cars touque for just $59. Another great gift idea for kids.

If they become fans when they are young - odds are they stay fans for life.

Smart marketing for both the short and the long term by Bob Young and the Cats.

Dear Patrick,

GOLD FRIDAY PRICING ENDS TODAY AT 5 P.M.!

This is your last chance to secure 2016 season seats for as low as $19 per ticket per game! With 17 consecutive sell outs since Tim Hortons Field opened its doors last season, this is your opportunity to guarantee your tickets next season.

GET 50% OFF NOW > Call 905-547-2287 to speak with one of our ticket representatives. Only a limited number of half-price season seats remain as part of the deal, available on a first come, first served basis. Act quickly before they’re gone!

HOLIDAY PACK ON SALE NOW!

Looking to get a head start on your holiday shopping? Score the perfect gift for the Ticats fan on your list.

For only $59 , receive a voucher for two bronze tickets and a Ticats toque. With a retail value of $141.99, it’s hard to find a better deal this holiday season.

PURCHASE YOUR HOLIDAY PACK > Click here to view the Holiday Pack online. Packs are also available for purchase at the TigerTown Store at 1 Jarvis St. and at Campus Crew in Lime Ridge Mall.

Oskee Wee Wee,

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats Football Club

Its too bad the new Argos ownership was not already in place to be able to do something similar for a Christmas promotion in Toronto as they get ready for their first year at BMO.

Yes, the Ti-Cats have really been on the ball and it's great to hear. My understanding is the have a waitlist on STs but expanding the cap so keep it coming!

For the Argos, they need to use a different strategy as they're building practically from the ground up. So the pitch is to be the first in BMO, guaranteed access to Grey Cup and hopefully, the game day environment is a good as they say it will be. Word of mouth to carry from there.

The seating configuration is expected to be ready early in the new year so all they can really do is sell the deposits. We put ours down (first time ever!) and my understanding is sales are going very well, though that's second hand information from the Argofans site.

But the Christmas tie in and early bird buy ins will be great for year 2.

Good on the ticats.

What the Argonauts need to do is pump up their visibility. If bell owns any billboards at yonge dundas square that's the perfect place to put a player's face.

I've received quite a few email blasts this week from them and th are certainly trying at keeping the STHs well informed.
I posted this in another thread, but because the CFL has a TV contract with tsn it is a little limited I it's TV exposure. The Argonauts however, are directly owned by Bell, so you may see publicity for them on Comedy, CTV and hopefully even MUCH (as the youth are the target demographic for expanding the fan base).

We'll see how they approach this

Couldn't agree more about the importance of targeting young kids to grow the CFL fan base. This is something I've been constantly advocating as part of reviving the Argos.

I outlined that last year. Reference my quotes at the bottom of this post. But to recap...

There's two parts to reviving the Argos in Toronto. First is the immediate need to create the "atmosphere" on game day. That's primarily going to come from the 25 to 40yr old male demographic. They're the ones who are going to be loud, boisterous and obnoxious. Best way to draw that group and be certain they're going to make some noise is by offering $3 beer in designated sections. Games against Hamilton would be off the charts, and arrangements to keep the two fan bases separated - - just as they do in European/South American soccer - - would be essential.

The long term solution for the Argos fan base needs to come from kids that are currently under the age of 18. No different than when kids take up smoking - - they get started early and they're hooked for life. How many minor football teams could you find within the GTA that could use some money for equipment/uniforms/travel etc? Easily 100. Give each team 50 free tickets to every Argo game as explained below and that's 5,000 additional asses in seats every week. Basically an increase of about 40% on actual game day attendance.

Last thing to remember is that when you're building a client base the only way is through hard work. That means hammering the phones and pounding the pavement. There's hundreds of retail malls throughout the GTA, not to mention all the public schools. Absolutely ZERO excuse as to why the Argos don't have appearances from players and cheerleaders every single week. Hand out free player post cards for autographs and let everyone pose for pictures - - the cost to the team would be negligible. For 10,000 full colour post cards you're looking at $200. The players are paid between $100 and $150 for these type of appearances. It's a complete joke why the Argos are undertaking this basic marketing no-brainer.

The Dome is an amazing atmosphere for football when there's 30,000 people in it. The 2012 Grey Cup was incredible - - loudest I've ever been in for any sport. Even the Vanier that weekend was a great atmosphere and they didn't have hardly anyone above the second deck.

You're bang on about getting young people as the only viable means of building the fanbase. Argos were kinda on to it a couple years ago when they gave free tickets to Toronto public schools for a weekday exhibition game.

But that was a total embarrassment. The large majority of kids there had ZERO interest in football - - much less in the Argos and CFL. They need to bring in kids who have an actual interest in football. That would mean partnering with minor football associations across the GTA and southern Ontario.

Give the teams 50 free Argos tickets and let the kids sell them at discounted rates to fundraise for their team. As long as 50 actual bodies attend the Argos game, they'll receive another 50 for the next game to use for fundraising.

The key is getting asses in the seats. That's the only way to create an atmosphere. And once you've got an atmosphere, you'll start building the fan base. Empty seats don't spend anything at the concessions. Give away the tickets and you'll more than make up the money on food, drink and merchandise sales. But that's contingent on MLSE/Rogers owning the team as they control the Dome.

And finally it'd be ultra controversial and screamed about to no end, but I'd section off portions of the stadium - - the lower bowl endzones being logical spots - - where a full price ticket gets you unlimited $3 beers. It'd be absolutely insane, especially when Hamilton came to town. But there'd be no ends of "atmosphere". Probably too much "atmosphere" for most people's liking.

We the fans are the most important way of marketing the CFL to the young ones . I've brought my son to CFL games before he could walk . He's now 18 and doesn't even follow the NFL a true CFL follower for life.

Born in the USA and raised here, my first exposure of course was to the NFL for which I remain a fan. Then in 1982 at the age of 10, there was the 1982 World Cup and later that year NBC's coverage of the CFL during the NFL strike. "What's the CFL?" I thought as I watched this bizarre football game with only three downs and seemingly strange scores. The games were only on NBC until the strike ended mid-season.

Mind you that NFL strike was after the baseball strike in 1981, during which I and millions of kids suddenly lost interest in baseball. Baseball lost most of an entire generation of young fans and only recovered in fact in the late 1990s with 'roid-ball thanks to the devious Bud Selig after the season-killing strike of 1994. There's a lesson there for any sports league to err to the aggressive side in marketing to youth, which MLB indeed did not do effectively in the 1980s after the 1981 MLB strike.

Then I remained a fan of the NFL and soccer as otherwise I forgot about the CFL until its North American expansion in the 1990s, and then casual interest since it was on TV but out yet again in those days of no residential internet.

But many years later starting with the Grey Cup 2008, covered live then on Versus in the US as is now NBCSN, there was the CFL and those remote memories again.

The bottom line is that it only takes even some positive impression in youth to carry a long way even many years later. If my youthful impression had not been positive, I would not have been as likely to take interest even later.

Access to games online in the US, as was only the case somewhat reliably on those pirate seas starting about 2010 after watching only the highlights with great enjoyment in 2009, reconnected me with the game that otherwise I would have followed again years earlier. And I have been a fan for life since 2009.

Just ordered my bronze tickets and Tiger-Cats hat!
Excited to finally visit THF.