Marketing and Outreach

CFL needs to do a different approach in gathering spectators. So, until this Summer I had never watched a CFL game in my life. I have been an NFL fan for over 35 years. So what changed? Well I had a serious health heart issue and was in bed watching TV for almost all of July! I tried to watch a couple of CFL games, baseball is too slow for me, and I found out I loved it! Where have I been all these years??!! So it begs the question, being a football lover, if I live in Vermont near the Canadian border and I'm just after all this time getting into the CFL, somewhere and somehow the marketing and outreach for the CFL needs to improve. 

So it took a serious heart condition and almost dying while watching TV in the hospital for me to finally get the CFL connection. I suppose one could market the CFL towards cardiac surgery patients in bordering states along the Canadian border? However, I think the lesson here is that the CFL has a great product but not enough folks, football loving people, are getting exposure.
 First off, get the product in front of people. These small television stations along the border, get them to carry a CFL game once in a while. Two, do it during the summer months when football loving people like myself are dying to watch some football! Third, it's not an either or, market watching the CFL in the Summer and the NFL in the Fall. Eight to nine months of football sounds like heaven to me! Fourth, get connected to High Schools and Colleges along the border. Send CFL representatives to outreach and visit. Lastly, offer a gimmick like first time families of four get 50% off ticket price and a free hotdog and drink! All of these CFL cities that host a team have their own marketing and outreach programs, make sure the CFL is tied into those marketing campaigns.
 In closing, the CFL has a good product. Trust me, I know, I love football! In my opinion the CFL needs to rebrand and remarket and rebrand and remarket and rebrand and remarket and rebrand and remarket, get the idea, until it catches on more.
7 Likes

Welcome. Glad to s hear from a newbi.
Take a kid to a game!

5 Likes

Here's BEVtogoCFL's post re-posted in case anyone had difficulty scrolling through the original:

CFL needs to do a different approach in gathering spectators.

So, until this Summer I had never watched a CFL game in my life. I have been an NFL fan for over 35 years. So what changed? Well I had a serious health heart issue and was in bed watching TV for almost all of July! I tried to watch a couple of CFL games, baseball is too slow for me, and I found out I loved it! Where have I been all these years??!! So it begs the question, being a football lover, if I live in Vermont near the Canadian border and I'm just after all this time getting into the CFL, somewhere and somehow the marketing and outreach for the CFL needs to improve. So it took a serious heart condition and almost dying while watching TV in the hospital for me to finally get the CFL connection.

I suppose one could market the CFL towards cardiac surgery patients in bordering states along the Canadian border? However, I think the lesson here is that the CFL has a great product but not enough folks, football loving people, are getting exposure.

• First off, get the product in front of people. These small television stations along the border, get them to carry a CFL game once in a while.

• Two, do it during the summer months when football loving people like myself are dying to watch some football!

• Third, it's not an either or, market watching the CFL in the Summer and the NFL in the Fall. Eight to nine months of football sounds like heaven to me!

• Fourth, get connected to High Schools and Colleges along the border. Send CFL representatives to outreach and visit.

• Lastly, offer a gimmick like first time families of four get 50% off ticket price and a free hotdog and drink! All of these CFL cities that host a team have their own marketing and outreach programs, make sure the CFL is tied into those marketing campaigns.

In closing, the CFL has a good product. Trust me, I know, I love football! In my opinion the CFL needs to rebrand and remarket and rebrand and remarket and rebrand and remarket and rebrand and

remarket, get the idea, until it catches on more.

5 Likes

D. Vienneau, Lions, have increased attendance with: connections and in game experience. I have no idea what it is. But it needs to be spread out to the rest especially TO. Seems that in past years there were more sales to corporations than these days. No one can afford NHL, NBA tickets but it sells out to corporations for tax deductions.

Sask has boosted in game experience but in the process have priced alot of people out of the park