Mark Washington out 4-6 weeks with broken collarbone

Not only that, but he played half the game against the Als with a broken collarbone :shock:

-Lions lose Washington for 4-6 weeks-

Canadian Press

SURREY, B.C. (CP) - Even in the macho world of professional football it sent a shiver down the spine of some B.C. Lions when they learned defensive back Mark Washington had played over half of Saturday's game with a broken collar bone.

''He's a better man than me,'' veteran safety Barron Miles said shaking his head Tuesday after the Lions practice.

''That was tough. It takes a big man to do that.''

Doctors say Washington will miss four to eight weeks, but the nine-year CFL veteran isn't setting any timetable for his return.

''My goal is to get back and play as soon as possible,'' said Washington, who showed up to the Lions practice facility with his right arm in a sling.

''I'm not going to jeopardize my long-term health and the team's stability.''

Washington, 32, knew he had hurt himself after a collision in the second quarter of the Lions 27-26 win over the Montreal Alouettes which extended B.C.'s unbeaten streak to 11 games. He didn't say anything to the coaching staff and played for the rest of the game, ending the night with five tackles.

''I felt it immediately,'' said Washington, who leads the Lions with 51 tackles and is second on the team with five passes knocked down.

''I was ready to shut it down after the second quarter but I knew our numbers were already thin and this was a big game we needed to win. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and go.

''If it got to the point where I really was going to be a detriment I would have pulled myself out.''

The Lions secondary was already filled with walking wounded.

Miles missed the Montreal game with a case of chicken pox, forcing Jason Crumb to play safety. Linebackers Barrin Simpson and Carl Kidd were both slowed by the flu.

Simpson was so sick he needed an intravenous at half time to restore fluids.

Cornerback Dante Marsh (hand), Sam Young (heel) and half back Ryan Phillips (ankle) were also banged up.

Even coach and general manager Wally Buono, who has seen a lot of things during his career, was amazed at Washington's toughness.

''How he did what he did is hard to imagine,'' said Buono.

''He is a tough competitor. He's a big leader for us and we're going to miss him.''

Buono will be forced to do some shuffling this week as the Lions prepare to put their unbeaten record on the line Saturday against the Edmonton Eskimos at Commonwealth Stadium.

With Miles healthy again, he's expected to take Washington's spot, leaving Crumb at safety for another week.

''We're going to practice a number of ways,'' said Buono.

''We'll let the game unfold the way it is.''

The Lions have the league's best record despite giving up a CFL high 49 sacks.

Buono refuses to lay the entire blame on the Lions offensive line. He argues the team's offence scheme and quarterbacks hanging onto the ball too long contribute to the sack total.

''It's not a singular group, it's a shared responsibility,'' said Buono.

There's no doubt Buono would like to see the Lions give up less sacks. He also points to the fact B.C. leads the league in scoring with 325 points, the team has thrown just five interceptions and Lions quarterbacks lead the league by completing over 72 per cent of their passes.

A win in Edmonton would all but wrap-up a home-field playoff game for the Lions, but Buono didn't want to think that far ahead.

''Our focus isn't on that at all,'' he said.

''Time will take care of that. It's important for us to prepare (this week). It's going to be a tough game. All we want to do is do the plays that will help us win.''

That's too bad but there is 7 weeks left in the season so he'll have time to heal and get back into action for the playoffs.

That's true. Washington's a warrior. Our backfield is looking very beat up right now. Marsh, Miles, Washington, Young, Phillips all injured. Simpson and Kidd under the weather. I'm actually surprised we beat the Als now with such a banged up D.

yeah... and Edmonton is not a team you want to face with a banged up secondary... gonna be a tough game for the Lions... looks like the prediction i made in week 6 might come true... i think this just might be the week where we lose our first game... i hope not... but Ray is good enough that if your secondary isn't at 100% he's gonna pick you apart... have to wait and see just how hurt a few of those guys are come game time.

Agreed. While I hate to use injuries as an excuse, this is legitimate. Given how banged up our secondary is, this looks like it could be our first loss. We're not as favoured as we usually are, especially given the circumstances. I'm not saying we're for sure going to lose, but on the injury front things are not looking good. Here's to Dickenson carrying our offense to VICTORY!

The winning streak is great, but getting to the Grey Cup is what counts.

Please don't use a banged up secondary as an excuse if the Lions lose. Every team has to suffer with injuries. It's a matter of whether the Lions can fight through it or not. That will show the character of this team.

True...they did it against the Al's, let's see if they can do it against the Eskies.

This is good news for the Eskimos with all the juggling in the BC secondary.

Too bad though for the BC Lions, that's a huge loss. Not only on the field but the players love him, and Mark Washington is a leader on the defence.

Should be a good game.. Defence has just gotta try to stop DD and company!

AND FANS.. Shall we wish that Dave Dickenson doesn't wake up with back spasms this time!? lol

If he does, we'll get to see what Bucky can do in a full game...you guys may not like that...

;)

Washington is a warrior. Reminds me of NFL safety Rodney Harrison who played have a game with a broken wrist in the 2004 playoffs.

Gotta love Washington. Soft spoken and humble, yet is a true warrior when it comes to the game of football.