Mark DiNoble...the plot thickens

If Mark DiNobile wanted to do something that might benefit the Hall,

and the City of Hamilton and/or Mayor Fred were not co-operating
with regards to the financial support that Mark DiNobile needs

to operate the Hall and put on the Hall of Fame dinner each year

he could have spoken about that here in the City of Hamilton.

Then, at least he wouldn't have embarrassed the City
[and our game?] on such a big international stage,

which to me is very counter-productive.

P.S

I don't recall him publicly soliciting support from Hamiltonians
to attend our Hall of Fame dinners [or anyone in the media.]

P.S.S.

Hopefully he did well with other items on his agenda
that the Hall of Fame committee sent him to accomplish.

To check out the ideas and events surrounding the NFL Induction Weekend
and the types of merchandise, sponsorship agreements they had in place

and the possibility of exchanging/loaning artifacts just like Art Galleries do.

I would like to hear how he made out.

http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/545083

Eisenberger accepts apology from hall of fame exec DeNobile

April 08, 2009 Drew Edwards

The Hamilton Spectator

Canadian Football Hall of Fame executive director Mark DeNobile has apologized to Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger for comments he made to a Canton, Ohio, newspaper.

“I can’t get the mayor of Hamilton to go a block for dinner,” DeNobile,
who was in town for a Pro Football Hall of Fame luncheon,

was quoted as saying last week.

Both DeNobile and the hall’s new chairman, Steve Howse,
called the mayor to express regret for the comment,

which was in reference to last year’s hall of fame
induction dinner the mayor was unable to attend.

Eisenberger said Councillor Bob Bratina attended in his place.

“I accept their apologies. Sometimes people are misguided or misinformed
and I think, in this case, Mr. DeNobile was misinformed,” he said yesterday.

The comments also caught the attention of CFL commissioner Mark Cohon,
in town for yesterday’s induction announcement.

“I think we addressed it. Sometimes being a public figure you
might slip up and it might have happened here,” Cohon said

The mayor said the incident won’t have a long-term impact
on his relationship with the hall or DeNobile.

"He’s a nice man.

His interest is to get the football hall of fame back in the forefront.

I guess by virtue of this he’s done that."

Now, the next time DiNobile reaches out to our community of 500,000
hopefully, it will result in a sell out for the Hall of Fame induction dinner

and he will gets sponsors to help the Hall of Fame
to cover expenses and remain in this community.

I'm so happy this has all calmed down and cooler heads have prevailed. Nobody needs to get fired after all :slight_smile:

What we have though is some good news this morning for Hamilton!!

--finally-- !!

40,000 people in Hamilton for three days !! all ending in time for the Grey Cup Game. Imagine the possibilities if the Tiger-Cats are in the Grey Cup ? We can get all these visitors to stay at Copps on Sunday evening and set up some portable big screens for all of us Tiger-Cat fans!!

This is a major catch for Hamilton!!

Congratulations to the Mayor, people of Six Nations of the Grand, Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation and everyone else involved in bringing this fantastic event to Hamilton (where it should have been all along)!!

I hope Stan Jonathon (former Boston Bruin and Six Nations born and bred) brings Don Cherry to do some drumming. :lol:

Toronto didn't give organizers enough respect

April 08, 2009
Graham Rockingham
The Hamilton Spectator
(Apr 8, 2009)

To the Cayuga of the Six Nations, Hamilton is known as Kah-nah-go' -- which means the place "in the valley."

For the next three years, Kah-nah-go' (the phonetic spelling of the word) will host the largest native powwow in the country.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger joined local native leaders yesterday to announce that the 16th annual Canadian Aboriginal Festival will be held in downtown Hamilton Nov. 26 to 29, with as many as 40,000 people in attendance.

It will mark the first time the event has been held outside Toronto, and festival organizers say they hope to make Hamilton its permanent home, guaranteeing that it will remain here for at least the next three years.

"It's quite a coup for Hamilton to host this great aboriginal event," the mayor told a news conference yesterday at Copps Coliseum, one of the host venues for the festival. "Every time we take one away from Toronto, it brings a little bit of joy."

Organizers said they found Toronto's much larger Rogers Centre too costly to continue booking for the event.

"We've found a new home here at Copps Coliseum," said Bryan LaForme, chief of the Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation and a member of the festival board. "The welcome mat that Hamilton has put out for us has been great, something not experienced with the City of Toronto."

Festival program director Ron Robert said the festival never got the support or promotion it deserved from Toronto.

He also said he tried to meet with officials from Rogers Centre several times last year to discuss money issues but never got an answer.

"I couldn't even get a meeting with them," Robert said about his dealings with Rogers Centre. "And we'd been there 15 years. That says a lot to me. So I thought I'd better start looking around."

Jay Stenhouse, vice-president of communications for the 50,000-seat Rogers Centre, said officials from the Toronto sports and entertainment venue didn't know the festival was moving to Hamilton until they were informed by The Spectator.

"All I can tell you is that we've still got dates in November booked for them," said Stenhouse, stressing Rogers Centre's rates were competitive with anything else in Toronto. "We wish them well at the smaller venue."

The festival will kick off with a gala dinner at the Hamilton Convention Centre on Thursday, Nov. 26, and continue with an educational day on Friday, Nov. 27, at Copps, expected to draw more than 6,000 elementary school students.

"Copps Coliseum will become one of the world's largest classrooms," Robert said.

"The students come away with an entirely different perspective of who we are."

The 11th annual Canadian Aboriginal Music Awards will follow on the Friday evening at Hamilton Place.

The main festival or powwow will take place throughout the day Saturday, Nov. 28, and Sunday, Nov. 29, at Copps Coliseum, with more than 800 native dancers and entertainers from across North America participating.

The festival is also expected to feature a lacrosse skills competition, fashion show and 250 booths offering First Nations crafts, food and displays.

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/545047

Went to this once at the Skydome, it was cool. Good for Hamilton to get this event for sure. :thup:

Not to be a downer but fan's on this site once suggested to
Chris Dean, former CEO, during owner Bob's first year here,

to show a locally untelevised weekday game at Ivor Wynne Stadium,

He was able to get that game shown at a theatre
in the Meadowlands Mall on a Thursday night,

and although he lost money doing it, it was a blast!

It is very expensive to purchase the right
to show any network game in such a venue.

I believe it would cost too much to show the Grey Cup
at Copps Coliseum to be economically viable,

but I could be wrong. :slight_smile:

P.S.

Pigskin Pete did an Oskie Wee Wee within earshot of
unsuspecting theatre-goers. Totally confusing them.

The dance Team, a Pep Band, and a beer bar up front.

Whoopee!

You aren’t being a downer at all. You bring up a point I forgot all about. Television rights. But with the right sponsor for all of Hamiltonions to go to Copps as well as encourage all our Aboriginal visitors to stay over at Copps for the evening to watch the Grey Cup, it could be a huge event.

Yes, I am getting way ahead of ourselves now. :twisted:

Getting back to the festival, I can’t begin to express how proud I am of Hamilton today to welcome this huge Aboriginal showcase to Hamilton with open arms. It’s great to see that the relationship between Hamilton and Six Nations-New Credit is as strong as ever with mutual respect. Sure, the Red Hill Expressway situation was a bump in the road but everyone overcame it pretty quickly with a good, respectful resolution. The Aboriginal Music Awards night at Hamilton Place on the Friday night is also huge.

I’ll go out on a limb here and say that this whole weekend will draw way more than 40,000 people to Hamilton. I’ll say at least 70,000 with clever marketing over the entire three days.

That’s a great recollection of the Meadowlands theatre event there -Ronfromtigertown-. Some may not know that it happened or have forgotten.