Mark Cohon leaving the CFL

He really is the best commissioner the league has ever had, and I remember most of them. But, it's not surprising that he is moving on after two very successful terms. He's still relatively young and has so much potential career-wise. I fully expect him to be very successful going forward. After all, the successful legacy he has built with Our League is widely known and will hold him in very high esteem. As it should.

Nay sayers and malcontents aside, and there are so few of them that they really can't be taken seriously, Mark Cohon is a hero to fans of the CFL. Lets hope he gets to hand pick his successor.

He has served a fairly long term. This is not uncommon for an executive to reach their goals they went in with then move to something else. He did a great job though for sure.

Rogers could be a likely destination for Cohon, to be the BJ's goodwill ambassador and work alongside Pelly in the transition to grass at Skydome and write nasty anti-CFL columns in Sportsnet magazine, etc.

As many posters have said, the league is being run by the owners and the commissioner is merely the figurehead. Cohon was being paid $750k per season. That's a huge salary for essentially a spokesmodel, which Cohon was good at.

The league should perhaps promote David Braley as the new commissioner and he can do to the entire league what he's done for the Argos and Lions.

Cohon's term ends April 2015.
Leiweke is rumored to be leaving MLSE in the spring of 2015.

Cohon was previously rumored to be in discussions for the job at MLSE last time it was vacant.

news of both these big departures happen within 24 hours.

Really? This seems above his pay grade but… Maybe it gets the MLSE-Argo deal done. :slight_smile:

Cohon going to be on PTS in 2 minutes.

The Argos should just play out of THF. Isn’t that what Aussie football does, multiple teams playing in the same stadium?

BMO is a crap shoot.

Oy, bad news for the league. He has done wonders for the CFL.

Is this a joke? Good way to kill a franchise. There are ZERO argo fans in Hamilton. Nobody from toronto or its suburbs are commuting to tiny dirty (their perception not mine) Hamilton.

That and Hamilton can barely support the cats. Why would the Argos move into a city of its most hated rivals. Hamilton is not a suburb of Toronto, it’s 45 mins and 75km away. Im dumbfounded at the suggestion.

Unfinished business:

• New home for the Argos
  • 10th team (although I am less bullish on this than most, for the immediate future anyway)
  • Getting the BOG on board to pull the reigns in on all of the absurd penalties that aren't affecting the play that are dragging games well into to the 3+ hour mark. Post mortem on pass interference review process?
  • Creating additional revenue streams (and no, more 'cash grab' alternate jerseys isn't on the list!)

Mike Copeland will probably become Commissioner (currently President and COO of CFL). It would be a smooth transition.

Yup. That is who PTS believes will be the new Commissioner. Nice looking man which doesn’t hurt - being the face of the league. Looks very confident and professional.

[/quote]
Is this a joke? Good way to kill a franchise. There are ZERO argo fans in Hamilton. Nobody from toronto or its suburbs are commuting to tiny dirty (their perception not mine) Hamilton.

That and Hamilton can barely support the cats. Why would the Argos move into a city of its most hated rivals. Hamilton is not a suburb of Toronto, it's 45 mins and 75km away. Im dumbfounded at the suggestion.
[/quote]
Toronto can barely support the Argos.

I'm equally dumbfounded by you. If fans aren't willing to travel 45 mins than the CFL might as well close up shop in Toronto.

But the fact of the matter is in business sometimes one has to take risks. You might be right, but if nothing is ventured nothing will certainly be gained, and staying in the Skydome certainly isn't helping matters, especially with the attendance they are getting right now.

THF could be temporary, say 1 or 2 years, until BMO is finally renovated.

There is really only one name that I can think of that would do a bang up job as commisioner, Jim Hopson. If he can do for the league what he has done for the Roughrider's, everyone wins.

I don’t know the man at all, but this is exactly what the league needs. Cohon is leaving behind very professional and affable shoes to fill. Those qualities held him in good stead in negotiations of all kinds.

And because Cohon did such a nice/thorough job, the new Commissioner can concentrate on the Argo - easily this league’s biggest battle/demon. Get the Argos fixed, with a home, and a 10th team would be nothing but gravy.

The league would have done just as well with someone else as commish, 2 blights on his record would be…

1. expansion not achieved

2. His handling of the CBA :thdn:

How would you like to explain exactly what you mean?

Yes, thank goodness that THF is (will soon be?) there as a safety net for the Argos. I think some would be quite surprised at how many Argo fans there are west of the GTA and in and around Hamilton who would buy tickets at THF. Let’s hope for something (like BMO) in the GTA sooner rather than later but at least there is an alternative to BMO and Skydome out there.

I would add poor marketing in Southern Ontario and having Braley own two teams to that list (and maybe not include #2), but given the situation of the league structure I don’t think he can be criticized too much for these.