Marino options? What to do?

Marino has faced pretty much universal condemnation for his hit on Masoli. Craig Dickenson himself has said the team would do something internally.

Question is... what to do?
If we cut him, he's probably an Elk before the press release is dry. If we suspend him, he's still a cap hit and collecting pay.

Im wondering what the Riders options are, and what might the team and league actually do?

League Banning him should be a option considering how he acted towards players the night before at a restaurant and the fact he reportably said racial slurs also.

1 Like

If the league has audio or can otherwise prove some of the alleged remarks, perhaps that could be a Code of Conduct violation? If so, would that give them standing for such a ban? I don’t know what the requirements and thresholds are.

Yeah this racial slur is one of those things where, regardless of if it's true or false, an accusation does a tonne of damage.
The league isn't going to ban him and people who keep yelling for it are just making themselves sound stupid. Which Argo player recently had his suspensions dropped to 3 games for going into the stands and throwing punches? Like that is actual assault but hell it's ok right?
The Riders can sit him on the 6 game to take his salary off the books really easily but I doubt they will maybe give him one additional game on top of his 2 game suspension (Simoni got 2 for intentional head shot on a QB that was in a vulnerable position and gave him a severe concussion...he appealed it down to 1 so anyone who thinks it's gonna be 5 is delusional)
Probability of an internal financial penalty as well as most players have a code of conduct built into their contracts

2 Likes

The options presented by the team & league would much shorter than the options I would personally present. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

I can say one thing...if the players association would stick up ONE time for the injured player and allow the perp to be given multiple games or in this case, the entire season. I am betting the the cheap shot, especially intentional ones like this would be 99 .9 percent extinct

2 Likes

Stupid, emotion drive, spur of the moment decisions will never go extinct. Most players just don't think that fast.

He will face a suspension. Simoni targets players heads in most games I watch yet he is still around.

Behar should face discipline as should that Ottawa lineman. As should all those who cleared the bench

I say trade him to Ottawa. He deserves it.

No one deserves that

1 Like

I am a huge believer in barracks justce, so that could work :laughing:

No I just meant because who the hell would want to play for Ottawa.
And also based on how little the team has spoken about Boyds hit on Robertson or seem to care I'm guessing they would get over it really quick and welcome him with open arms.

Hoping he appeals and sounds like he may.

The Organization has a real image problem with a huge (deserved or undeserved) spotlight on it. This cannot be hidden in spin or protection of players. There's trash talk & taunting throughout a game but disrespecting a heritage is crossing the line, its just disguised as not naming color. Sadly I see no black players standing up in outrage or the coaching staff (with several black coaches) apoligizing for the actions of one marginal player because the team is in Win at All Costs mode.

1 Like

I guess it depends on the actual comment. So far there's only speculation as to what was said. Its also likely that the team is doing a lot internally. They're under no obligation to share this info (in fact, privacy laws may actually prevent the team from sharing info on internal discipline). But I suspect that Mr. Marino is facing team consequences as well as league.

2 Likes

I find this thread actually quite amusing. It reveals that there are still way too many folks who either do not understand racism or don't care to.

One poster is comparing the racist incident to an Argo player going into the stands and assaulting....why bring this incident even into the equation. Deal with the racist comment in isolation...then deal with the assault incident in isolation.

Another poster thinks that their should be audio evidence...in order to do something...when so many people heard it and Marino has not denied it...why does there need to be audio evidence?

Simoni Lawrence's name comes up...but I don't believe Simone ever hurled a racist comment at Zach or we would have heard it. ( and yes racist comments can be made to caucasion people as well.) Simone did get a suspension and deservedly so.

Some Sask fans don't appear to care they just want the suspension appealled and reduced....so they can win more football games.

But the Roughrider organization appears to be doing the right thing and trying to correct the situation; (a silver lining in the whole mess)

I think each team's code of conduct should include disciplinary action for racist behaviour. If this is the reason for a player being cut from a team then no other team can sign this player for at least two seasons.

1 Like

[quote="150GAGE, post:22, topic:79146"]I find this thread actually quite amusing. It reveals that there are still way too many folks who either do not understand racism or don't care to.

One poster is comparing the racist incident to an Argo player going into the stands and assaulting....why bring this incident even into the equation. Deal with the racist comment in isolation...then deal with the assault incident in isolation.

Another poster thinks that their should be audio evidence...in order to do something...when so many people heard it and Marino has not denied it...why does there need to be audio evidence?

Simoni Lawrence's name comes up...but I don't believe Simone ever hurled a racist comment at Zach or we would have heard it. ( and yes racist comments can be made to caucasion people as well.) Simone did get a suspension and deservedly so.
...educed....so they can win more football games.But the Roughrider organization appears to be doing the right thing and trying to correct the situation; (a silver lining in the whole mess)I think each team's code of conduct should include disciplinary action for racist behaviour. If this is the reason for a player being cut from a team then no other team can sign this player for at least two seasons.
[/quote]

Well, since the Dude is engaged to an African American woman, with an African American best man standing up for him, I'm thinking he has a lot bigger fish to fry on that one than explaining anything to a two bit fan forum.

1 Like

The comment about Masoli was about his heritage, he is Samoan/ Polynesian

Yeah, I do not know why having African American teammates or friends is even relevant when talking about this incident because Jeremiah Masoli's family came from Samoa not Africa.

According to Jeff Hamilton, one of the things Garrett Marino said to Masoli was that he was a "fake Polynesian".

1 Like

Ok this thread too has run its course and is just repeating the same old tired Lines ad-nausium from the other posts already shut down. ... Time to move along down the road??