Marijuana Sponsorship

With the legalization of recreational marijuana coming in in approximately 1 year will the CFL be the first league to address what may happen with sponsorship? And would it be a national one or left like the beer sponsors and be up to the individual teams? I contacted a newspaper about this as I think its a good story, but they never did one :frowning:

2 Likes

...are you a real doctor?

Interesting question. I don't see why not, Gibsons has been a strong national sponsor for the league. That said, when one considers the restrictions on tobacco advertising I would assume the same wold be in place for any company that sells an 'inhaled' product....so goodies might be fair game. Seeing as pot is not a banned substance in the CFL drug policy, I could see a partnership

With the legalization of recreational marijuana coming in in approximately 1 year!!!!!!!!!

Not a done deal yet for sure. Some Provinces are fighting it and rightly so. Math of cost is starting to add up negative like in Colorado and else where. There will be very limited advertising allowed on TV as part of government regulations plan. So far.

Lets wait 3-5 years and see how it plays out.

1 Like

I would not be surprised and supportive of the government treating marijuana like tobacco. Its legal, but no advertising.

Ya never know , it could be a great opportunity for the league , especially the Argos . The league could sign up Ricky Williams as Toronto's new spokesman and celebrity sponsor . :smiley: 8) :rockin:

Just think of the enormous endless possibilities for a brand new spiffy league slogan and rebrand that the league could launch when Weed finally becomes legal . 8) :slight_smile:

Such as .......... :cowboy: :lol:

2 Likes

drbuzz.... 8)

1 Like

If you read "A Framework for the Legalization and Regulation of Cannabis in Canada" (all 110 pages of it) - which I have - They recommend that Cannabis be treated in a similar fashion to Tobacco and Alcohol, depending on the situation. Tobacco in their desire to not let it get in the hands of children and part of that means no sponsorship deals - just like tobacco. They are also recommending that Cannabis be restricted in where it is consumed like Alcohol (and they even go further to say it can't be consumed where Alcohol is consumed ... but you can look it up and read it yourself). Add to this that Justin is already on record saying that they were basically going to take the recommendations of the panel (that are contained in that document) and I can tell you ... It's probably not going to be allowed (about 80% sure!).

There are a LOT of other little surprises in their recommendations that everyone is probably not going to like (like the consumption of 1 beer (or 1 drink if you prefer) and ANY cannabis is an automatic DUI), but you can read it yourself ... gain one "freedom" - lose six! Be careful what you wish for!

Next topic!

:cowboy:

And just so you don't have to look it up yourself ... here's the link;
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/health/marijuana-cannabis/task-force-marijuana-legalization-regulation/framework-legalization-regulation-cannabis-in-canada.html

1 Like

If CFL teams wanted to draw in fans they should open up outdoor smoking lounges. I realize smoking tobacco in the stadium is verboten, but there's little justification in banning pot consumption at games.

Fans could enter the segregated smoking lounges, replete with video screens and an ice cream bar...have a quick puff then back to your seat to enjoy the rest of the game! I'll bet this would draw in 1000's of new and old fans in Vancouver if they knew they could imbibe during the game. :cowboy:

Good work Mr Lucky. Very Very difficult decision to be answered.
Thanks

1 Like

second hand smoke is second hand smoke, and most research I have read (which is not a lot I admit) is that pot can be just as hazardous. Open it to both or not at all.

Besides…people would just move to edibles if smoking it was banned in public.

If marijuana wants to sponsor the CFL, take the money.

1 Like

The only similarity between tobacco and marijuana is that they are both plants.

That said, vaping is far better than smoking. It smells much less and is not at all the same as smoke.

Science and medicine seems to disagree.

[url=http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/marijuana-and-lung-health.html]http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smokin ... ealth.html[/url]
Smoke is harmful to lung health. Whether from burning wood, tobacco or marijuana, toxins and carcinogens are released from the combustion of materials. [b]Smoke from marijuana combustion has been shown to contain many of the same toxins, irritants and carcinogens as tobacco smoke.[/b]

Beyond just what's in the smoke alone, marijuana is typically smoked differently than tobacco. Marijuana smokers tend to inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than cigarette smokers, which leads to a greater exposure per breath to tar.

Secondhand marijuana smoke contains many of the same toxins and carcinogens found in directly inhaled marijuana smoke, in similar amounts if not more. While there is no data on the health consequences of breathing secondhand marijuana smoke, there is concern that it could cause harmful health effects, especially among vulnerable children in the home. Additional research on the health effects of secondhand marijuana smoke is neede

The only similarity between tobacco and marijuana is that they are both plants.

That said, vaping is far better than smoking. It smells much less and is not at all the same as smoke.

I read today that Canada is now considered the undisputed world leader in factory produced marijuana. It's only a matter of time before that kind of money is put to good use.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/canadas-legal-weed-what-you-need-to-know-w477219

The under ground gets the profit like it always has. The government pays for the extra health care, policing, Councillors for rehab as they normally do. Result net loss.

1 Like

Not even close. There's billions to be made. Just look at Colorado and Washington state.

1 Like

Just a note: CFL like most big time leagues wants a perception of quality play by community
players who are positive examples.

Colorado government is in the negative dollar mode for 2017. Income minus expenses. They only collect declared taxes. Amsterdam has also moved back on pot and prostitution as its negative TODAY. Down turn in tourists big time. Now allowed in restricted areas.

However your right big money for underground. Not so much for government after they pay bills. Its basically legal today. Very few people charged except pushers, Pushing will still be illegal. Do research with open mine. CFL is NOT GOING to embrace this any time soon.

I didn't say big money for the underground. I'm talking about the government, who will absolutely make big money as long as they do it correctly. I'm all for it.

Decriminalize NOT legalize. I want less of the evil government involved in life not more.